Water, water everywhere but costs like Champagne to Drink?

ALPHYL

I have done 3 cruises with Oceania.

This summer for the first time I am taking my son and his 3 children on

an NCL Alaska cruise out of Seattle.

I am diabetic and I need to always have bottled water on hand to : take meds, stay hydrated

etc. Plus the kids will drink tons if it they are warm.

I had my agent ask NCL if I could bring a case of bottled water on board--to ensure there would

always be some 24/7 x7. The answer was NO, but I could pre-purchase a Water package of a

case of 24 ml. bottles of water for $72.00. I am Canadian so add on becomes 20% more! This

same case at Costco or a supermarket costs $3.00 for 24 bottles.

I wanted to ask all you experienced NCL cruisers if NCL charges outrageous amounts for

EVERYTHING? What do they charge for a can of soda pop? I have always had bottled water in

my room gratis. Please tell me about your experiences with extra charges for ordinary things. I am not asking for champagne but water--at a reasonable price. How do you all feel about this? I'd appreciate knowing very much. Thanks--about to bail!

Honestly, I’m disgusted by the current water policy. But, what can you do. It’s a nice ship and convenient for me. So I’m sucking it up.

With everything even, it could deter me.

Personally, since you’re diabetic, I’d make my doctor write a prescription and threaten to sue at embarkation for discrimination since they allow it more (arguably) medical reasons for formula for babies. Lol. Worth a shot. Bet they back down.

There is free filtered water all over the place. You can even have pitchers delivered to your cabin for no extra charge. Free of microplastic particles too. People are so over dramatic about something that we all require to live and that is available at every turn.

There is free filtered water all over the place. You can even have pitchers delivered to your cabin for no extra charge. Free of microplastic particles too. People are so over dramatic about something that we all require to live and that is available at every turn.

I agree 100%. And the threat of a lawsuit over water is just plain stupidity. The water on ships is very good filtered water. Dasani is just filtered city water.

How can you compare Oceania to NCL? Ncl cost a lot more then Oceania.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree 100%. And the threat of a lawsuit over water is just plain stupidity. The water on ships is very good filtered water. Dasani is just filtered city water.

How can you compare Oceania to NCL? Ncl cost a lot more then Oceania.

It’s not stupidity, I beg your pardon. They are allowing it specifically for baby formula. If someone with a medical condition requires bottled water and has a doctor’s note for it, it should be allowed.

Also, I prefer bottled water. Not filtered. I can taste the difference. And not all bottled water, or filtered water is the same. I’m willing to pay for it. It’s fine. But yea, if it’s for medical reasons, then it should be allowed.

Also, your post was offensive to me.

It’s not stupidity, I beg your pardon. They are allowing it specifically for baby formula. If someone with a medical condition requires bottled water and has a doctor’s note for it, it should be allowed.

Also, I prefer bottled water. Not filtered. I can taste the difference. And not all bottled water, or filtered water is the same. I’m willing to pay for it. It’s fine. But yea, if it’s for medical reasons, then it should be allowed.

Then everyone and their mother would have a note from their doctor. Just like everyone needs a service animal nowadays.

Then everyone and their mother would have a note from their doctor. Just like everyone needs a service animal nowadays.

And what's wrong if they did? People should be able to bring bottled water (in my opinion) -- this is NCL trying to squeeze more money out of people. I also prefer the taste of bottled water to the tap water on board.

These are US prices...

For all ships except Pride of America

6-pack (1-liter bottles) $14.95

12-pack (1-liter bottles) $27.95

24-pack (1-liter bottles) $44.95

Note: 20% gratuities & service charge will be applied at time of purchase

As mentioned, water is at no-cost all throughout the ship. If you prefer, you can bring a Brita (or similar) pitcher/bottle and have it filled for no cost.

Yes, their prices are terrible, but you're not hostage to them.

Pack several wide mouth water bottles. When you want water (we take some to the Fitness Centre every morning,) go to the buffet, and use a glass to draw water and/or ice from the dispensers and fill your water bottle.

If you fill a water bottle directly from the dispenser, you will likely be yelled at (rightly, it's a possible cross-contamination,) but if you use a clean glass, staff on site will not care.

I am diabetic and I need to always have bottled water on hand to : take meds, stay hydrated

I had my agent ask NCL if I could bring a case of bottled water on board--to ensure there would

always be some 24/7 x7. The answer was NO, but I could pre-purchase a Water package of a

case of 24 ml. bottles of water for $72.00. I am Canadian so add on becomes 20% more! This

I wanted to ask all you experienced NCL cruisers if NCL charges outrageous amounts for

EVERYTHING? What do they charge for a can of soda pop? I have always had bottled water in

my room gratis. Please tell me about your experiences with extra charges for ordinary things. I am not asking for champagne but water--at a reasonable price. How do you all feel about this? I'd appreciate knowing very much. Thanks--about to bail!

Bring an empty water bottle with you. Mine was 32oz. Dining room will fill it with ice & water. Steward or room service (no charge) will bring ice water in a pitcher to your cabin at your request 1 or 2 times a day, however you would like to arrange it.

Oh, and my statement balance at the end of my last cruise (May 2017) was $16.75. I bought a coffee mug and a fridge magnet. I didn't have any 'extra' charges. I don't know why there would be.

Drink what you want--I will get a letter from my Dr. and get a case of bottled spring water in Seattle, bring it aboard and that way ensure that there is always potable water in my cabin and when I go on excursions. BTW, thanks for your opinions--enjoy all your present and future cruises on whatever lines and just make sure to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day!

You need to contact NCL's access desk beforehand. Don't expect things to go well if you just show up with a case of water and a note from the Dr. The contracted security staff on shore does not have the authority to bypass NCL's policy. A simple email to the access desk (accessdesk@ncl.com) explaining the situation they will probably take care of it for you. But beware that if it is not a true medical necessity to have bottled water they may just tell you to pound sand.

We bring a couple empty water bottles each and fill them from various places on the ship.

The water provided free in the buffet, and ice water at bars, and tap water in cabin, plus ice water left in cabin by steward are all fine to drink. IMO ship water is as good as bottled water.

Incidentally if you are using a note from your Dr you need to contact the AccessDesk ahead of time since they are the only ones that can mark your documents with permission for bringing bottled water aboard. The port folks do not have that authority.

Edited by NMLady

Preferring bottled water and being diabetic does not in any way mean you require bottled water for medical reasons. It just means you like it better.

Is there a special reason why you need bottled water for taking meds and stay hydrated? If you really need that I think that it's possible to bring it onboard, you have to contact NCL and your doctor.

Bottled water is a waste of money and scourge on the environment that marketing departments have convinced people that they "need".

Anyone who can't go a week with simply drinking the ship's water has a problem.

There's no "diabetic requirement" to have bottled water. That's not a medical need, it's a personal preference.

Preferring bottled water and being diabetic does not in any way mean you require bottled water for medical reasons. It just means you like it better.

I’m not a doctor. I’ll leave that between the op and his doctor. But ship policy says, ‘special needs’ and ‘medical requirements’. So it sounds like they make exceptions for certain people based on their medical conditions.

I have zero, I mean zero problems with someone being allowed to bring their own water onto a cruise ship. I also don’t know of any other boat that disallows this, although there could be some. But in the past, I never had a problem on other cruise lines.

I’m honestly shocked and confused as to why any one cares or feels that a person with diabetes who prefers to bring bottled water on with him shouldn’t be allowed to. I mean, who cares for crying out loud?!

First world problems if I ever saw them.

Bottled water is a waste of money and scourge on the environment that marketing departments have convinced people that they "need".

Anyone who can't go a week with simply drinking the ship's water has a problem.

There's no "diabetic requirement" to have bottled water. That's not a medical need, it's a personal preference.

I believe baby formula requires certain special waters, so not true.

I’m not a doctor. I’ll leave that between the op and his doctor. But ship policy says, ‘special needs’ and ‘medical requirements’. So it sounds like they make exceptions for certain people based on their medical conditions.

I have zero, I mean zero problems with someone being allowed to bring their own water onto a cruise ship. I also don’t know of any other boat that disallows this, although there could be some. But in the past, I never had a problem on other cruise lines.

I’m honestly shocked and confused as to why any one cares or feels that a person with diabetes who prefers to bring bottled water on with him shouldn’t be allowed to. I mean, who cares for crying out loud?!

First world problems if I ever saw them.

Carnival and NCL seem to ban carry on water, from a quick google search. You know why, right? Folks empty out the water bottles and add Vodka or clear Tequila...or any other clear alcoholic beverage. Most rules like this exist because people abused a privilege at some point.

Carnival and NCL seem to ban carry on water, from a quick google search. You know why, right? Folks empty out the water bottles and add Vodka or clear Tequila...or any other clear alcoholic beverage. Most rules like this exist because people abused a privilege at some point.

No, I didn’t know that. Geez, if I wanted to sneak that on, I’d be more creative. Wow.

Ok, well then if they need to limit inspection of water bottles to save time, they should make those allowances. I still don’t care if someone with diabetes is allowed to bring water on.

That is annoying that they are charging that much for bottled water though for those that prefer it. If they don’t want to supply the man power to inspect passenger water bottles to make sure they are sealed, they should charge at a slightly more reasonable rate for water.

Then again, I just saw recently where they had a bath menu for $99 for the butler to draw a bath with some pleasant smelling bubbles and a beverage. What is that crap? Seriously?! Next thing you know, I cannot bring bath bubbles either so they can charge me $99 for my bath. :confused: