Just off the Triumph....some of my thoughts....(sorry, tried to make it short but...)

clginal

This was our 4th cruise (Carnival Holiday, MSC Poesia, Princess Grand, Carnival Triumph) in 15 years...so, I am no expert. We seem to end up on older ships. We are not picky...but, I was a little worried with the Triumph reviews....so, wanted to share our thoughts.

Yes, it could use an update but, that does not bother us at all. We loved the ship....and had a great time. We had a balcony on deck 7...in the front & we did feel a good bit of rocking/swaying...but, neither of us get seasick so it did not bother us. The cabin had plenty of room for us...balcony was small. Our balcony on the Grand was huge so, it's hard to go back to a small one....but, we survived :). The couch was pretty old so, I just covered it with a beach towel. Beds were very comfortable.

This was our 1st cabin not in the middle of the ship....I will go back to that just for walking purposes. I swear that hallway got longer & longer when returning from the back of the ship :eek:...(we are in our late 50's so, that could be part of it..LOL)

Things we did on the ship.....

• Comedians were very funny (especially the age 18+ shows) we went to most of the shows....helpful hint: it was standing room only so, go at least 30 min. ahead of time to get a seat. But, even if you are standing, the shows don't last that long.
  • Magician show was just ok....I enjoyed it more than my DH.
  • Karaoke was fun most of the time...until the young drinkers took over the dance floor when they thought it was funny to do dirty/funny dancing but really they couldn't dance...more of just acting silly (well, drunk)
  • Liverpool Band doing Classic Rock was awesome but, almost too loud for us. And the place was not even half full...I felt bad for the band because it just seemed awkward to be playing to an empty room.
  • Bingo...I love playing bingo.... have won before, not this time :(. But the people that claimed bingo when it wasn't ....OMG...funny at 1st but then it wasn't....
  • Food was ok at times & really good at times but, never terrible. We really enjoyed Guy's, the pizza & breakfast burritos. We did YTD for dining room and it worked great for us...not much of a wait.
  • The Love & Marriage Show was too funny!! Simon did a great job with this.
  • Poolside stayed packed...it was hard to find 1 chair for me at times. We had some cold days at sea so, didn't get to lay out much :(
  • Loved the Carnival HUB Ap (our 1st time with this). It was great to watch our bill and to pick favorites with alerts!!

Embarkation was so easy...since it was just me & DH, we didn't buy FTTF (wanted that $$ for drinks;))...had 11:30 check in time and was on the ship around 12:00!! We ate & walked around the ship...headed to our room at 1:30 & our luggage was waiting on us. Unpacked...and headed back out to explore.

We parked at Machu Picchu. It was the best place for us. They dropped us at the front & picked us up at the front. We called when we got our luggage & they were pulling up when we walked outside...no walking to our car in a garage...no waiting on shuttle to fill up. We will use them again!!

Even though we probably won't do this route again...we would not hesitate to go on The Triumph again.

Now, it's back to reality :mad: .........but, we had a wonderful cruise!! Can't wait to go again!!

Christie

Thanks for doing the review. The Triumph is going in for another makeover this time next year before coming to New York for the summer.

I had heard about the makeover coming up. It will be nice!! Maybe we can try out of NY sometime!! We are in AL so, NOLA & Mobile are just a quick drive for us!!

going triumph april, did you do 5 day? wondering if docked in cozumel, if so, which pier?

have balcony on deck 7 as well, mid-ship.

can hardly wait, packing in my head already! lol

We did the 5 day. Sorry, I don't know the different piers. The one in Cozumel was the one at 3 Amigos restaurant.

I packed & then removed because it looked like I was going for a month..lol.

This was our 4th cruise (Carnival Holiday, MSC Poesia, Princess Grand, Carnival Triumph) in 15 years...so, I am no expert. We seem to end up on older ships. We are not picky...but, I was a little worried with the Triumph reviews....so, wanted to share our thoughts.

Yes, it could use an update but, that does not bother us at all. We loved the ship....and had a great time. We had a balcony on deck 7...in the front & we did feel a good bit of rocking/swaying...but, neither of us get seasick so it did not bother us. The cabin had plenty of room for us...balcony was small. Our balcony on the Grand was huge so, it's hard to go back to a small one....but, we survived :). The couch was pretty old so, I just covered it with a beach towel. Beds were very comfortable.

This was our 1st cabin not in the middle of the ship....I will go back to that just for walking purposes. I swear that hallway got longer & longer when returning from the back of the ship :eek:...(we are in our late 50's so, that could be part of it..LOL)

Things we did on the ship.....

•  
  • Comedians were very funny (especially the age 18+ shows) we went to most of the shows....helpful hint: it was standing room only so, go at least 30 min. ahead of time to get a seat. But, even if you are standing, the shows don't last that long.

• Magician show was just ok....I enjoyed it more than my DH.

• Karaoke was fun most of the time...until the young drinkers took over the dance floor when they thought it was funny to do dirty/funny dancing but really they couldn't dance...more of just acting silly (well, drunk)

• Liverpool Band doing Classic Rock was awesome but, almost too loud for us. And the place was not even half full...I felt bad for the band because it just seemed awkward to be playing to an empty room.

• Bingo...I love playing bingo.... have won before, not this time :(. But the people that claimed bingo when it wasn't ....OMG...funny at 1st but then it wasn't....

• Food was ok at times & really good at times but, never terrible. We really enjoyed Guy's, the pizza & breakfast burritos. We did YTD for dining room and it worked great for us...not much of a wait.

• The Love & Marriage Show was too funny!! Simon did a great job with this.

• Poolside stayed packed...it was hard to find 1 chair for me at times. We had some cold days at sea so, didn't get to lay out much :(

• Loved the Carnival HUB Ap (our 1st time with this). It was great to watch our bill and to pick favorites with alerts!!

Embarkation was so easy...since it was just me & DH, we didn't buy FTTF (wanted that $$ for drinks;))...had 11:30 check in time and was on the ship around 12:00!! We ate & walked around the ship...headed to our room at 1:30 & our luggage was waiting on us. Unpacked...and headed back out to explore.

We parked at Machu Picchu. It was the best place for us. They dropped us at the front & picked us up at the front. We called when we got our luggage & they were pulling up when we walked outside...no walking to our car in a garage...no waiting on shuttle to fill up. We will use them again!!

Even though we probably won't do this route again...we would not hesitate to go on The Triumph again.

Now, it's back to reality :mad: .........but, we had a wonderful cruise!! Can't wait to go again!!

Christie

I read somewhere that the cabins don’t have refrigerators. Is that true?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks so much for this review! I'll be going on it with my hubby in April doing the same itinerary. I'm sooooooo ready. #tiredofwinter

It's good to see that we'll have a great time; this will be my hubby's first cruise and it took YEARS for me to get him on one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll have a good time, because I've talked cruising up so much and don't feel like eating crow if it's a bust. You mention that you had a hard time finding a deck chair during the sea days....that is a bit worrisome. I don't necessarily have to be in the sun during the sea days, but do want to find a place to sit and enjoy the ocean float by. Did you find that to be difficult?

I read somewhere that the cabins don’t have refrigerators. Is that true?

Ours did not have a refrigerator....not sure about the other cabins.

I purchased a lunch bag type of ice chest...it worked great....fit easily in suitcase. We tipped the stewardess before hand to keep it filled.

Thanks so much for this review! I'll be going on it with my hubby in April doing the same itinerary. I'm sooooooo ready. #tiredofwinter

It's good to see that we'll have a great time; this will be my hubby's first cruise and it took YEARS for me to get him on one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll have a good time, because I've talked cruising up so much and don't feel like eating crow if it's a bust. You mention that you had a hard time finding a deck chair during the sea days....that is a bit worrisome. I don't necessarily have to be in the sun during the sea days, but do want to find a place to sit and enjoy the ocean float by. Did you find that to be difficult?

Actually, I was looking for 1 chair in the sun. There were plenty off on the sides in shaded areas & on the top decks but, the wind was too much for me. It was chilly when we went....should be warmer for you.

Make sure to download the Carnival Hub Ap on your phone. I did not pay for Wifi & put my phone on airplane mode...you can still use the free Ap. It shows what's happening & is so user friendly. We loved marking "favorites" for things we wanted to do & reminders would pop up when it was close to time.

Hope you have a wonderful time & fingers crossed you hubby does too!!

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a lunch bag type of ice chest...it worked great....fit easily in suitcase. We tipped the stewardess before hand to keep it filled.

What kind of a cabin. I asked Carnival and they told me it has a mini bar.

Thanks for doing the review. The Triumph is going in for another makeover this time next year before coming to New York for the summer.

Oh yea. We'll be on the 5/27/19 Panama Canal 14 day cruise out of NYC right after that dry dock.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this review, we were on Triumph in October 2017 (we enjoyed it) and will be going again in next month. We didn't get to do some of the things the you mentioned so I'm definitely putting them on my list for this trip. I also didn't utilize the carnival app to pick activities until the cruise was almost over so that will be used from day one this time. I thought that Triumph was a good ship for our reintroduction to cruising after over 12 years, it reminded me why I love cruising!!

What kind of a cabin. I asked Carnival and they told me it has a mini bar.

Only suites have refrigerators on the Triumph. They didn't start putting them in all cabins until the Conquest.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the review. And thank you for the info on the App. I have it downloaded. Curious if you purchased the social media package and if so, how did it work? For $5 a day it seems worth it to stay in touch.

Thanks for posting this review! We cruised on Triumph in 2010, but I was a little concerned about some of the bad reviews I've seen. We seem to usually get a ship just prior to dry dock. Sailing from NOLA was the best option for us this year. After 12 past cruises, it will be our first with an Aft Balcony. I'm excited we sail in a month!!!!