What makes 6 star cruise line

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Luxury Cruising
Is it a state of mind?
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:59 AM.
Katonah,NY, USA
2,792 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Having read all four pages, I am wondering why anyone even continues to respond to a poster that seems to inhabit a different world, with its own arbitrary rules and references.
No amount of logic seems to make a dent.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacqueline [email protected]
Upcoming Hanseatic Antarctica February 2018
Viking River Cruise on the Rhine, August 2017
HAL Eurodam March 2017 Carribean from Ft. Lauderdale
Silver Sea Silver Galapagos Jan 2017
Queen Mary 2 round trip New York to South Hampton July/August 2016
Caribbean Princess March 2011 So Caribbean
HAL Westerdam October 1 2010 Black Sea
AOS August 2009 So Caribbean
Celebrity Summit Feb 2009 So Caribbean
Crown Princess Spring Break So Caribbean 2006
Golden Princess Spring Break So Caribbean 2005
Hal Westerdam London to Athens July 30 2004
Celebrity Constellation So Caribbean Spring Break 04
Tahitian Princess - Tahiti ! August 2003
Grand Princess Spring Break 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000
--------------------------------
QE2 1985 - Hurricane Kate- NY round trip to Carribean
Cunard Countess
Greek Islands 1983
Florida
75 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by Jacqueline
Having read all four pages, I am wondering why anyone even continues to respond to a poster that seems to inhabit a different world, with its own arbitrary rules and references.
No amount of logic seems to make a dent.
I am wondering why you responded since you have no logic to respond with.
Florida
75 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by wripro
I, the arbiter of record, award said poster zero stars for logic.
You are right. You offer no logic. What makes you the authority?
Texas
4,032 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by paul1439
You are right. You offer no logic. What makes you the authority?
The same thing that makes you an arbiter, his/your opinion. Wish you would accept that your opinion is just that, your opinion, and not the be all and end all.
Charlotte, NC
731 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by Texas Tillie
The same thing that makes you an arbiter, his/your opinion. Wish you would accept that your opinion is just that, your opinion, and not the be all and end all.
Correct.
Throughout this whole thread and every other in which the self proclaimed standard bearer issues his screed, this school child phrase is echoing loudly for me:
Who died and made you boss?
Florida
75 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
I guess because cruise reviewers and cruisers like yourself and others think your opinions are right and if someone comes up with idea for creating a standard for luxury cruising they have no authority. Well they do have the authority. It's not up to the cruise lines but the cruisers themselves to say what makes a luxury cruise line. I am trying to get the ball rolling. There is a need for some kind of standard in the luxury cruise line industry. Cruisers who have been on luxury cruise lines know the names of the top cruise lines. The debate starts from that point. This is the reason why there is a need for some type of standard for these luxury cruise lines.
Brisbane
115 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
As I said before, I wouldn't mind a standard at all but nobody is ever going to agree on one. Especially not if it is left to cruisers to decide. Ask 10 people, get 10 opinions.
As an example, for me, AI is absolutely not a sign of luxury. And cabin size, where does it start? Is 25m2 enough? Does it have to be 27m2 or even 30m2? And why? And service is a very important factor as well. You can have great hardware but without good service, it's nothing. But again, attentive service for one might be annoying chatty service to another.
Washington State
22,808 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by cathaana
As I said before, I wouldn't mind a standard at all but nobody is ever going to agree on one. Especially not if it is left to cruisers to decide. Ask 10 people, get 10 opinions.
As an example, for me, AI is absolutely not a sign of luxury. And cabin size, where does it start? Is 25m2 enough? Does it have to be 27m2 or even 30m2? And why? And service is a very important factor as well. You can have great hardware but without good service, it's nothing. But again, attentive service for one might be annoying chatty service to another.
Completely agree with you. IMO, cruisers are the worst possible people to determine what is luxury and what is not. So much is based upon our experiences. This reminds me of a discussion of caviar. Some people get so excited when they see "paddlefish eggs" on the menu (the cruise lines call it caviar which it might be to some but it certainly isn't to others.

What you said about service is true. Expectations are different depending upon the country you are from. Some passengers prefer to be treated and addressed formally while others would find it very "stuffy" and uncomfortable.

Also, I have learned that suite size is also subjective. While we prefer larger suites with 1 1/2 bathrooms, others are happy in a small suite (again, speaking only about luxury cruise lines).

The one area where we disagree somewhat is about being all-inclusive. Certainly, you cannot take a mainstream cruise line, make it all-inclusive and call it "luxury". However, when luxury cruise lines began going all-inclusive, the other luxury lines followed. In order to be AI and luxury, the food and service has to live up to the "luxury" rating.

Since 2004, almost all of our cruises have been on luxury cruise lines. We have seen changes. Luxury cruise lines are more inclusive (some cruise lines including air -- even Business Class--, excursions, etc. Also, the dress code has gone from formal to elegant casual. What has not changed is the level of service and food quality.

The bottom line for me is that, unless or until cruisers sail on all luxury, premium-plus and premium cruise lines, their input in terms of setting "standards" will be flawed. Actually, even if they met this criteria, who is to say that what one person considers luxury would be the same for someone else.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tolerance and Patience are two things we all need..........
Total nights: Regent = 375 / Silversea = 36 / Oceania = 26 (Upcoming 104 nights: 3 Explorer, 2 Voyager and 1 Mariner)

Sailings per ship: Explorer (4), Voyager (11), Mariner (10), Navigator (3), PG (1), Silver Spirit (1), Silver Whisper (1), Silver Shadow (1), Oceania Riviera (2)

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (3 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Barcelona - Miami / Cape Town – Rio (2 sailings) / Cape Town - Cape Town / E. & W. Caribbean (4 sailings) / CHRISTENING CRUISE - Explorer - Monte Carlo-Monte Carlo / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Istanbul / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona 2 sailings) / Miami-Miami (Amazon) / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Rome to Lisbon / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo
670 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by Travelcat2
. Actually, even if they met this criteria, who is to say that what one person considers luxury would be the same for someone else.
This is a truly definitive statement on the subject,
Greenville, SC
1,802 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by perditax
Oh, I'm sure someone will get it.
I figured it was just a matter of time before someone 'tapped' that joke...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past cruises:
RSSC Navigator, Mediterranean, July 2009
RSSC Voyager, Baltic, July 2010
Queen Mary 2, Caribbean, December 2010
RSSC Navigator, Alaska, May 2011
RSSC Mariner, Mediterranean, August 2013
RSSC Voyager, Med/Iberia/UK, May 2014 Canx
RSSC Mariner, Mediterranean, July/August 2015
RSSC Navigator, Barcelona-Haifa, July 2016
RSSC Explorer, Barcelona-Venice, April 2017

Upcoming cruises:

Albany, NY
840 Posts
Joined May 2013
Excuse my ignorance but what does this have to do with cruising?

From Wikipedia. "The primary implication of the reference is one in which things that are essentially the same are seen as different, due to mislabeling or the user's misunderstanding of the underlying operating principles. A secondary reference may be anything being exploited to its utmost limits, or apparently exceeding them. Similarly, the expression "turning it up to eleven" refers to the act of taking something to an extreme."

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
lots 'o cruises, and hopefully many more to come

Holland America Line Mariner Society
Norwegian Cruise Line Latitudes
MSC Voyagers Club
Washington State
22,808 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by UPNYGuy
From Wikipedia. "The primary implication of the reference is one in which things that are essentially the same are seen as different, due to mislabeling or the user's misunderstanding of the underlying operating principles. A secondary reference may be anything being exploited to its utmost limits, or apparently exceeding them. Similarly, the expression "turning it up to eleven" refers to the act of taking something to an extreme."

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Thanks much for the explanation!
Albany, NY
840 Posts
Joined May 2013
Thanks much for the explanation!

No problem

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
lots 'o cruises, and hopefully many more to come