Afternoon High Tea by Sweet P The Bermuda Perfumery, Stewart Hall, Queen Street, Town

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:30 PM.
Phila, PA 19136
4,373 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Originally posted by goodml
Ferries to St. George's weren't running last Weds due to rough seas so we took ferry to Hamilton then bus. Stopped at Crystal Caves on the way-water levels were high in the caves due to Rafael so it was half price. We were in the first seating for tea at 2 pm. As the other person mentioned, it's only a couple of blocks from bus or ferry so very walkable. We then took the bus back to Hamilton (with a stop at the Swizzle Inn along the way) and ferry back to the ship.
Thanks for the info!

Is the Swizzle Inn far from the ship? Also, do they have ferry/bus schedules at the pier?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Terri

Legend 10/04/03
Legend CTN 10/22/04
Caribbean Princess 9/10/05
Am I crazy - 1 Night CTN NCL Dawn 5/6/06!
Empress of the Seas 9/16/06
Explorer of the Seas & Hurricane Noel 10/26/07 - Always a "Royal Explorer"!!!
Carnival Miracle 9/14/08
NCL Dawn 10/4/09
2010 no cruise
Carnival Pride 10/9/11
Explorer of the Seas & Hurricane "Frankenstorm" Sandy 10/28/12!
Carnival Pride 9/15/13
Simple Man Cruise NCL Pearl 10/20/13
Wedding Cruise & Last SMC NCL Pearl 11/16/14
NCL Breakaway Cruise 12/7/14
Sail Across the Sun with Train and an appearance on Impractical Jokers!! 2/13/15 NCL Pearl
1 Year Wedding Anniversary - Sensation 11/15/15
1st Impractical Jokers Cruise - Pearl 1/11/16
Southern Craft/The Lebrewski Cruise Pearl 3/1/16

Windsor Locks, CT
6,439 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
Originally posted by dolfinmusic
Thanks for the info!

Is the Swizzle Inn far from the ship? Also, do they have ferry/bus schedules at the pier?

Both locations of the Swizzle Inn are far from the cruise ship. The original SI is located about ˝ way between Hamilton and St George and is further of the 2 locations. The closer, named Swizzle, South Shore is on the South Rd past Horseshoe Bay and Warwick Bay. There is a map here showing both locations.

Travel time by bus and ferry, excluding waiting times, to the original SI is about 55 minutes; to the new SI, travel time by bus, excluding waiting time, is about 45 minutes.

Bus & ferry schedules are available at the pier and online. The 2012 ferry schedule is here, and the bus schedule here; 2013 have not been released yet.

SBtS
Phila, PA 19136
4,373 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Originally posted by SailBadtheSinner
Both locations of the Swizzle Inn are far from the cruise ship. The original SI is located about ˝ way between Hamilton and St George and is further of the 2 locations. The closer, named Swizzle, South Shore is on the South Rd past Horseshoe Bay and Warwick Bay. There is a map here showing both locations.

Travel time by bus and ferry, excluding waiting times, to the original SI is about 55 minutes; to the new SI, travel time by bus, excluding waiting time, is about 45 minutes.

Bus & ferry schedules are available at the pier and online. The 2012 ferry schedule is here, and the bus schedule here; 2013 have not been released yet.

SBtS
Thank you! Hoping we make - due to sail out this Sunday with Sandy...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Terri

Legend 10/04/03
Legend CTN 10/22/04
Caribbean Princess 9/10/05
Am I crazy - 1 Night CTN NCL Dawn 5/6/06!
Empress of the Seas 9/16/06
Explorer of the Seas & Hurricane Noel 10/26/07 - Always a "Royal Explorer"!!!
Carnival Miracle 9/14/08
NCL Dawn 10/4/09
2010 no cruise
Carnival Pride 10/9/11
Explorer of the Seas & Hurricane "Frankenstorm" Sandy 10/28/12!
Carnival Pride 9/15/13
Simple Man Cruise NCL Pearl 10/20/13
Wedding Cruise & Last SMC NCL Pearl 11/16/14
NCL Breakaway Cruise 12/7/14
Sail Across the Sun with Train and an appearance on Impractical Jokers!! 2/13/15 NCL Pearl
1 Year Wedding Anniversary - Sensation 11/15/15
1st Impractical Jokers Cruise - Pearl 1/11/16
Southern Craft/The Lebrewski Cruise Pearl 3/1/16

3,967 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Originally posted by dolfinmusic
Thank you! Hoping we make - due to sail out this Sunday with Sandy...
Oh my, good luck and I'll cross my fingers for calm seas for you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ML

'89 Carnival Holiday, '91 Carnival Fantasy, '96 Carnival Fantasy, '01 Sovereign of the Seas, '03 Carnival Victory, '04 Jewel of the Seas, '05 Majesty of the Seas, '06 Carnival Victory, '07 Monarch of the Seas, '08 Monarch of the Seas, '08 Norwegian Dawn, '10 Carnival Inspiration, '10 Carnival Triumph, '11 Norwegian Star, '12 Liberty of the Seas, '12 Explorer of the Seas, '12 NYE Carnival Valor, '13 Carnival Imagination B2B, '13 Norwegian Jewel, '14 Carnival Victory, '14 Freedom of the Seas, '15 Adventure of the Seas, '15 Majesty of the Seas, '16 Navigator of the Seas

UP NEXT: '17 Oasis of the Seas
Brooklyn
1,670 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
I'm a bit behind in posting this, but we tried the afternoon tea with Sweet P at the Bermuda Perfumery on Wednesday, October 3. They have 2 seatings per day - 2pm and 3:30pm - and only serve on Wednesdays and Saturdays. We chose the 2pm seating as a late lunch option. I made reservations ahead of our cruise by emailing [email protected] and the responses were all very quick. I confirmed our reservation before we left on the cruise, just to be safe.

After a fantastic (but HOT) morning at Tobacco Bay, we walked back into St. George's and easily found the Bermuda Perfumery near St. Peter's Church. After a bit of confusion about whether to seat ourselves in the garden, where the tables were set up, or go inside the Perfumery house, we were seated in a shady section with a cute setup of mismatched china.

Because of the extreme heat/humidity that day, we were offered a choice of 3 iced teas - a tropical blend (think mango and pineapple flavors), a chamomile citrus, and a mint tea. The tropical was fantastic and my friend tried the chamomile citrus and also really liked it.

After we had cooled down with some iced tea and water, it was time for the treats! We were presented with a 3-tier tower of delights that included 10 savory items (3 types of finger sandwiches - egg salad, chicken salad, and a roast beef with olives/cheese, a mini quiche, and a radish item on bread - all one serving per person) and at least 18 sweet items (scones, mini-biscotti, little cakes, etc. - all one serving per person). These items were all amazing and after about 14 small items, you are surprisingly full! My friend is vegetarian and was able to eat everything except the chicken salad sandwich and picked the roast beef off the other sandwich.

(Apologies for the photo being dark, we were hidden in the shade)

(We didn't take this next pic, but I found it online and think it shows you more detail of the delicious food items)

Of course, you can't have scones without all the accoutrements, so there was a tray with clotted cream, raspberry jam, butter, and honey. My friend like the honey so much that she asked about it and we were told that it's made locally in Bermuda and is quite pricey, but the owners grew up with it and think it's worth the extra cost. I couldn't taste the difference, but my friend loved it so much that we checked every grocery store in the area to see if they sold it.

Here is all that remained after our feast:

The operation is run by Nicki and Paula, with one preparing the food in the kitchen and the other serving. I'm not sure whether it was Nicki or Paula that served us, but she was wonderful - we felt like guests that she had invited over for the afternoon.

Tea costs $24 per person and we thought this was an incredible value for the quality AND quantity of items you receive, plus the charming setting. Afternoon tea with Sweet P ranked as one of our favorite experiences in Bermuda and you shouldn't miss it!

One last picture of the beautiful Bermuda Perfumery garden area:

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas - Inaugural CTN

Sailed:
HAL Eurodam - Baltics
Norwegian Getaway - E. Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway
- Inaugural CTN
(Pics)
Celebrity Reflection - E. Caribbean
Uniworld SS Antoinette - Rhine Christmas Markets
NCL Breakaway
- Bermuda
NCL Breakaway - Inaugural CTN (Review w/ pics)
Uniworld River Beatrice - Danube (Review w/ pics)
NCL Epic
- E. Caribbean
NCL Star - Bermuda
Ruby Princess - Grand Mediterranean
(Review w/ pics)
NCL Epic
- W. Mediterranean (Review w/ pics)
Crown Princess - S. Caribbean (Review w/ pics)
NCL Gem - Bahamas (Review w/ pics)
Raleigh NC
24,691 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Thanks for the review.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kirk

Future Cruises
Viking Sun 11-6-2017 - Our first Viking Ocean cruise
HAL Prinsendam 12-18-2017 - Christmas on the Elegant Explorer
HAL Zaandam 6-4-2018 - Alaska bound
HAL Maasdam 7-14-2018 - New England and Canada
HAL Prinsendam 8-5-2018 - Four months on the Elegant Explorer
Island Princess 11-20-18 A taxi to visit our daughter
HAL Zaandam 12-6-18 Back to the frozen south
HAL Amsterdam 1-22-2019 - Grand World Voyage
Northern NJ, United States
536 Posts
Joined May 2012
Not only was the tea at the Perfumery wonderful, the ladies who run it are amazing too! The gardens are lovely, the tea is refreshing(the option of iced tea on the blazing hot Wednesday afternoon we visited was welcome!), and the sweet and savory offerings were delicious(I loved the mismatched China settings!). The perfumery itself is a fascinating place to visit to learn just a tiny bit about perfume making, and it's the birthplace of Lili Bermuda perfumes (and it smells divine inside). The house itself (Stewart Hall) is lovely and also worth the visit.

I found this thread just before my cruise in September, and I'm definitely going back when we visit Bermuda in May; big thanks to irisheileen for asking about Sweet P's!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

SavSave

NEW JERSEY
2,616 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by iheartbda
Looks like this is something very new. Up until now, one of the few places one could get high tea was at the Fairmont Hamilton or Fairmont Southampton Hotels. Definitely cheaper at Sweet P's. Will be anxious to hear any feedback.

Someone posted that tea is also being served at a place at Dockyard.

Thanks for your replies. I should have said I meant "High Tea" (as they do on Princess - mid-later afternoon). I know we can get tea WJ or Prom....

We may check into SweetP's....Maybe there is something at the dockyard now. Will keep checking.

Safe sails all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[

[url=http://www.cruisecritic.com]
[/URL]
Pennsylvania
13,985 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by UANDME4EVER

Thanks for your replies. I should have said I meant "High Tea" (as they do on Princess - mid-later afternoon). I know we can get tea WJ or Prom....

We may check into SweetP's....Maybe there is something at the dockyard now. Will keep checking.

Safe sails all.
I forgot to look around or ask about a place at Dockyard when we were there this past Oct.
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,582 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
WOW...the pictures and description of the Tea sounds really, REALLY
nice.......I am going to Bermuda in August
Thanks Iheart for posting think on my thread too
3,967 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Thanks for bumping this. What a lovely reminder of our gorgeous October afternoon at Sweet P's. Definitely hope to do it again some day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ML

'89 Carnival Holiday, '91 Carnival Fantasy, '96 Carnival Fantasy, '01 Sovereign of the Seas, '03 Carnival Victory, '04 Jewel of the Seas, '05 Majesty of the Seas, '06 Carnival Victory, '07 Monarch of the Seas, '08 Monarch of the Seas, '08 Norwegian Dawn, '10 Carnival Inspiration, '10 Carnival Triumph, '11 Norwegian Star, '12 Liberty of the Seas, '12 Explorer of the Seas, '12 NYE Carnival Valor, '13 Carnival Imagination B2B, '13 Norwegian Jewel, '14 Carnival Victory, '14 Freedom of the Seas, '15 Adventure of the Seas, '15 Majesty of the Seas, '16 Navigator of the Seas

Jacksonville, FL USA
48,582 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Thanks for bumping this. What a lovely reminder of our gorgeous October afternoon at Sweet P's. Definitely hope to do it again some day.
Hi I will take the ferry to St George and was thinking of going to
Crystal Caves first and then stopping at Swizzle Inn for a drink
Then I would do the 2:00 Tea.
Do you know if that would be doable?
3,967 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
If you look at my post on the first (I think) page of this thread that's exactly what we did.

Oh wait, we went for the drink after. Those rum sizzles can take you for a ride and we wanted to have all senses in tact for the tea.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ML

Pennsylvania
13,985 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by Lois R
Hi I will take the ferry to St George and was thinking of going to
Crystal Caves first and then stopping at Swizzle Inn for a drink
Then I would do the 2:00 Tea.
Do you know if that would be doable?
I was just going to suggest that when I saw the other reply and they're right about the swizzles, they go down too easily.

Lois, I would not give up the tea to eat at the Swizzle Inn, just have a drink there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Jacksonville, FL USA
48,582 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Ferries to St. George's weren't running last Weds due to rough seas so we took ferry to Hamilton then bus. Stopped at Crystal Caves on the way-water levels were high in the caves due to Rafael so it was half price. We were in the first seating for tea at 2 pm. As the other person mentioned, it's only a couple of blocks from bus or ferry so very walkable. We then took the bus back to Hamilton (with a stop at the Swizzle Inn along the way) and ferry back to the ship.
Now this is what I was wondering...THANK YOU.......
I was trying to figure out what to do on my 2nd day and this is it.
I will take the ferry (hoping the seas will be smooth) and go
to the Caves.....I was trying to figure out if I should do Swizzle Inn
before or after The Tea......so sounds like the Tea first.....then go
for a drink before heading back to the ship!

So, when you get to St George....my question is......how to
get to the Caves and then to the Perfumery and then to the
Swizzle Inn? Are these all walkable or bus to bus?
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,582 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by iheartbda
I was just going to suggest that when I saw the other reply and they're right about the swizzles, they go down too easily.

Lois, I would not give up the tea to eat at the Swizzle Inn, just have a drink there.
OK....I will go and have a drink there
436 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Hi!
Thank you folks for posting info on the Afternoon High Tea - I will be going to Bermuda on the Breakaway, Oct. 6th and this is great info for me.
Thank you Lois for posting your daily activities - they are helpful hints for me....you can be sure I will be asking you questions about certain things - bus and ferry info and even the places you might have eaten in...
I have been to Bermuda many years ago when the cruise ships docked on Front Street (that was way back) and anxious to see how the island is now.
Looking forward to your help in my plans
Linda
Brooklyn
1,670 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by Lois R
So, when you get to St George....my question is......how to
get to the Caves and then to the Perfumery and then to the
Swizzle Inn? Are these all walkable or bus to bus?
That's a bit of a bizarre itinerary as you'll be sailing into St. George only to leave it for the caves and then have to go BACK to St. George for afternoon tea at the Perfumery. Here are two alternatives:
  1. Take the 7 or 8 bus (8 should be faster) into Hamilton, then transfer to the 3 bus to go to the caves. After that, hop on the 1 or 3 bus to go into St. George and have tea. Then, take the 10 or 11 back towards Hamilton and get off at the Grotto Bay Hotel stop (ask the driver when you get on to let you know) and the Swizzle Inn is a 5 minute walk from there.
  2. Alternatively, instead of the 7 or 8 bus, you can take the ferry into Hamilton and proceed from there.
If your timing lines up, I think this would be more efficient than taking the ferry into St. George, but someone let me know if I'm off.

The Swizzle Inn is relatively close to the caves - even if you have to hop on the bus for a couple stops. I think it makes more sense to do the caves and Swizzle Inn first, since they're near one another, and then do tea, but that's just my opinion. Just get a small rum swizzle and you should be fine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas - Inaugural CTN

Sailed:
HAL Eurodam - Baltics
Norwegian Getaway - E. Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway
- Inaugural CTN
(Pics)
Celebrity Reflection - E. Caribbean
Uniworld SS Antoinette - Rhine Christmas Markets
NCL Breakaway
- Bermuda
NCL Breakaway - Inaugural CTN (Review w/ pics)
Uniworld River Beatrice - Danube (Review w/ pics)
NCL Epic
- E. Caribbean
NCL Star - Bermuda
Ruby Princess - Grand Mediterranean
(Review w/ pics)
NCL Epic
- W. Mediterranean (Review w/ pics)
Crown Princess - S. Caribbean (Review w/ pics)
NCL Gem - Bahamas (Review w/ pics)
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,582 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Hi Linda, these boards are great

I can tell you I received an email back from Sweet P's....price for the
Tea is now 28.00 per person and it is offered 3 times 1, 2:30 and 4
and it is only offered on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,582 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by AttilaTheFun
That's a bit of a bizarre itinerary as you'll be sailing into St. George only to leave it for the caves and then have to go BACK to St. George for afternoon tea at the Perfumery. Here are two alternatives:
  1. Take the 7 or 8 bus (8 should be faster) into Hamilton, then transfer to the 3 bus to go to the caves. After that, hop on the 1 or 3 bus to go into St. George and have tea. Then, take the 10 or 11 back towards Hamilton and get off at the Grotto Bay Hotel stop (ask the driver when you get on to let you know) and the Swizzle Inn is a 5 minute walk from there.
  2. Alternatively, instead of the 7 or 8 bus, you can take the ferry into Hamilton and proceed from there.
If your timing lines up, I think this would be more efficient than taking the ferry into St. George, but someone let me know if I'm off.

The Swizzle Inn is relatively close to the caves - even if you have to hop on the bus for a couple stops. I think it makes more sense to do the caves and Swizzle Inn first, since they're near one another, and then do tea, but that's just my opinion. Just get a small rum swizzle and you should be fine.
Hi, I appreciate your thoughts but I don't know anything about
my itinerary being "Bizzare".....I have never been to Hamilton
or St George so it is all new to me. I enjoy ferry rides so that is why
I was choosing to take it to both places.(Hamilton one day) and St George the other. I don't always care about
being efficient and don't understand when you say I will be in St
George and then have to leave? I thought the caves are in St
George as is the Perfurmery......Are they not?