Cruise ship passenger fined for having cannabis

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:09 PM.
#1
Maryland
10,587 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Passenger aboard Anthem of the Seas. Her cabin was searched. Be aware that decriminalization laws in US don't apply onboard or in Bermuda! The cruise lines ban Marijuana and local laws apply in other countries. She was lucky to get a low fine. Some have been fined $2000.

http://www.royalgazette.com/court/ar...aving-cannabis
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Charles
#2
plymouth,ma
1,617 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Just off the Dawn today. A couple of guys were arrested for marijuana in their cabin found by Bermuda authorities when they come onboard.
#3
PA
205 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Originally posted by hladygirl
Just off the Dawn today. A couple of guys were arrested for marijuana in their cabin found by Bermuda authorities when they come onboard.

Why would Bermuda authorities search a cabin. There has to be more to it


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#4
Patriot Nation
4,925 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by murfette
Why would Bermuda authorities search a cabin. There has to be more to it


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
The Cabin is in their Country.

Bermuda has brought dogs onto the ships for years to find contraband .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




Platinum +
The cure for anything is salt water .
Sweat, Tears,or
The Sea !!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. ~Mark Twain


NCL Dream Bermuda June2008
NCL Dream Bermuda Oct. 2008
NCL Spirit Bermuda Sept. 2009
NCL Spirit Boston to Quebec Sept.2009
NCL Spirit Quebec to Boston Oct. 2009
NCL Spirit Bermuda June 2010
NCL Sun W. Caribbean Nov.2010
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 2011
NCL Dawn Bermuda Oct. 2011
NCL Dawn Bermuda June 8th 2012
NCL Dawn Bermuda June 22 2012
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept 2012
NCL Dawn Boston to Quebec Oct. 2012
NCL Dawn Quebec to Boston Oct. 2012
NCL Dawn Western Caribbean Apr. 14th 2013
NCL Dawn North bound Repo Apr. 21st 2013
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 2013
NCL Dawn South bound Repo Nov. 2013
NCL Dawn Bermuda July 11 2014
NCL Dawn Boston to Quebec Sept. 12 2014
NCL Dawn Quebec to Boston Sept. 19 2014
NCL Dawn Bermuda Oct. 10 2014
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 4 2015
NCL Dawn Bermuda August 26th 2016
NCL Dawn Bermuda June 9th 2017
Do not be afraid of dying, be afraid of not living life to it's fullest !
#5
PA
205 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
The Cabin is in their Country.



Bermuda has brought dogs onto the ships for years to find contraband .

True I guess I just never saw or heard of this happening and I have been on 20 cruises and once before to Burmuda unless there was a specific reason for authorities to board ship.

Don't worry I am not planning on smuggling anything anyway but I find it interesting. Do they actually go in each cabin with the dogs?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#6
Maryland
10,587 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by murfette
True I guess I just never saw or heard of this happening and I have been on 20 cruises and once before to Burmuda unless there was a specific reason for authorities to board ship.

Don't worry I am not planning on smuggling anything anyway but I find it interesting. Do they actually go in each cabin with the dogs?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums


Sometimes they get a tip. Don't know if they go thru every cabin, a random sample, have a profile, or they get tips from crew but they have brought the sniffer dogs onboard the cruise ships docked in Bermuda for many years. And if the dog sniffs drugs in the cabin safe it will be opened and searched. A bunch of passengers have been fined. Some suggest that revenue collection is a major reason for the searches since the fine can be paid in to a magistrate and the passenger will avoid jail.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Charles
#7
17,677 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
It's often the result of a tip. The crew has been instructed to report the suspected presence of drugs in cabins to ship's management, who will then inform the local authorities.
#8
Ohio
47 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
in jamaica the dealers sell you weed then wait at the ship with the police to point you out so you have to pay a fine to get back on the ship. what a racquet. they are such corrupt beggars we do not even get off the ship there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


NCL 1980
Tahitian Princess 6/03
Carnival Imagination 6/05
Island Princess 2/06
RCCI Mariner of the Seas 8/06
Carnival Celebration 10/06
Crown Princess B2B 1/07
Carnival Celebration 4/07
Sea Princess 1/08

A BOATLOAD OF OTHERS
#10
nj
48 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
So just for the sole purpose of generating funds they regularly come onto the boats to do random searches of cabins.

I see so many things wrong with this its not even funny.....let alone that you think the cruise lines would stand up to Bermuda and say we don't want our customers hassled while at your docks and our dollars we pay every week say so to.


And before everyone says I must be a stoner that is something I have not done in 25 years. I just have a big problem with my cabin being searched because I drew the unlucky straw.
#12
Patriot Nation
4,925 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by pjewell910
So just for the sole purpose of generating funds they regularly come onto the boats to do random searches of cabins.

I see so many things wrong with this its not even funny.....let alone that you think the cruise lines would stand up to Bermuda and say we don't want our customers hassled while at your docks and our dollars we pay every week say so to.


And before everyone says I must be a stoner that is something I have not done in 25 years. I just have a big problem with my cabin being searched because I drew the unlucky straw.
Bermuda is playing Second fiddle.
USA dogs get the first chance to bag doper's.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




Platinum +
The cure for anything is salt water .
Sweat, Tears,or
The Sea !!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. ~Mark Twain


NCL Dream Bermuda June2008
NCL Dream Bermuda Oct. 2008
NCL Spirit Bermuda Sept. 2009
NCL Spirit Boston to Quebec Sept.2009
NCL Spirit Quebec to Boston Oct. 2009
NCL Spirit Bermuda June 2010
NCL Sun W. Caribbean Nov.2010
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 2011
NCL Dawn Bermuda Oct. 2011
NCL Dawn Bermuda June 8th 2012
NCL Dawn Bermuda June 22 2012
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept 2012
NCL Dawn Boston to Quebec Oct. 2012
NCL Dawn Quebec to Boston Oct. 2012
NCL Dawn Western Caribbean Apr. 14th 2013
NCL Dawn North bound Repo Apr. 21st 2013
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 2013
NCL Dawn South bound Repo Nov. 2013
NCL Dawn Bermuda July 11 2014
NCL Dawn Boston to Quebec Sept. 12 2014
NCL Dawn Quebec to Boston Sept. 19 2014
NCL Dawn Bermuda Oct. 10 2014
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 4 2015
NCL Dawn Bermuda August 26th 2016
NCL Dawn Bermuda June 9th 2017
Do not be afraid of dying, be afraid of not living life to it's fullest !
#13
83,858 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Someone who buys drugs on the street in Jamaica should not be surpriseed when police show an interestt in them.I sincerely doubt the cabin (s) that are searched for drugs are chosen at random. I think it mor e likely, someone reported smelling something suspicious, heard something hat t tipped them off that made a partiicular 'guest' stand out as someone to check. JMO
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />


[email protected]
Please put CruiseCritic in Subject Line
#14
Philly and So. Jersey Shore
713 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
They can be getting tips from the folks who sold it to them. Can be undercover cops, who knows!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MS Caribe (Commodore Cruise Lines) - June 1987
Crown Dynasty (Crown Cruise Line) - June 2000
Carnival Destiny - March 2001
Carnival Victory - March 2002
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas - July 2006
Celebrity Century - March 2007
RCCL Mariner of the Seas - March 2008
Carnival Freedom - March 2009
Carnival Dream - February 2010
Carnival Pride - March 2011
Carnival Pride - Aug. 2012
Carniva Pride - Aug. 2013
Carnival Pride - Jan. 2014
Carnival Pride - July 2014
Grandeur of the Seas - November 2014
Carnival Pride - August 2015
Carnival Splendor - June 26, 2016
Carnival Splendor - July 2, 2016
Norwegian Breakaway - July 16, 2017



#15
Maryland
10,587 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by DKane
They can be getting tips from the folks who sold it to them. Can be undercover cops, who knows!

Probably crew or ships security is tipping off the Bermuda police. That is what the article I linked to said. I don't know for sure but I doubt they are doing random cabin searches or searching every cabin. As far as undercover cops, someone on another thread here asked about the nightclub at the Snorkel Park. I went once to check that nightclub out and there were drugs being sold. Not my kind of scene, somewhat scary so I left. That was a number of years ago so my report on that should be considered dated. It might now be a wholesome place.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Charles
#16
east northport, ny
47 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by Charles4515
Probably crew or ships security is tipping off the Bermuda police. That is what the article I linked to said. I don't know for sure but I doubt they are doing random cabin searches or searching every cabin. As far as undercover cops, someone on another thread here asked about the nightclub at the Snorkel Park. I went once to check that nightclub out and there were drugs being sold. Not my kind of scene, somewhat scary so I left. That was a number of years ago so my report on that should be considered dated. It might now be a wholesome place.

i'm glad i read this...i was just looking into this nightclub as something to do off the boat the night we are in town, but if it's a sketchy scene you can count me out especially in a foreign place...it's one thing to be in NYC or Miami, but I've watched locked up abroad and brokedown palace
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jax
Long Island, NY
Past Cruises:
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Victory
Celebrity Galaxy

Awaiting: RCC Anthem of the Seas


#17
Maryland
10,587 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by sportif7
i'm glad i read this...i was just looking into this nightclub as something to do off the boat the night we are in town, but if it's a sketchy scene you can count me out especially in a foreign place...it's one thing to be in NYC or Miami, but I've watched locked up abroad and brokedown palace


Keep in mind that this was a while ago. It might not be sketchy now. It might be a wonderful place. I have not read anything recently about it good or bad.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Charles
#18
The US
425 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by Redbeard the Pirate
in jamaica the dealers sell you weed then wait at the ship with the police to point you out so you have to pay a fine to get back on the ship. what a racquet. they are such corrupt beggars we do not even get off the ship there.
I had long suspected this happened to me once. I turned down a really pushy dude (and everyone else who offered it to me) because even 19 year old me was smart enough to not do stuff like that in a foreign country. When we returned from our excursion to get back on the ship, the police patted me down in a very invasive manner. I had a few red stripes that day and got pretty mouthy when the Jamaica pigs started grabbing for my "package" and caused enough of a scene that they let me go. I was really embarassed and saw the first guy who tried to sell it to me near the swine tent. They had to have had some type of racket going on. I hope they all are living a miserable life.
#20
Maryland
10,587 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by SailBadtheSinner
Royal Gazette article: Cruise passengers fined for drug importation - http://www.royalgazette.com/court/ar...ug-importation



SBtS


These latest two cases confirm that cruise line employees are calling in or informing the Bermuda police. The passengers are not being set up or entrapped, and neither are the Bermuda police boarding on their own initiative to search for the drugs.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Charles