Quick question about the public buses

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:54 AM.
#1
67 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
We'll be boarding our cruise to Bermuda in just a few days... so excited! We've been to Bermuda once before, about 6 years ago, but I can't remember this detail about the public buses for the life of me. When traveling on the public buses, do we need to signal to the bus driver that we'd like to disembark the bus? In other words, does the bus automatically stop at every bus stop, or do we need to signal the driver somehow. I know here in NY, riders have to press/pull a button/cord to ring a bell as a way of signaling the bus driver of a requested stop.

Also, should we tell the bus drive upon boarding that we are traveling to a particular destination? Will he/she notify us when our destination is coming up? Or do we have to look out the bus windows and pay attention so we won't accidentally pass our stop?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




#2
PA
7 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
When i was there a few weeks ago, my group boarded at Dockyard, i told the driver where we wanted to get off, as we approached our stop the driver announced the stop and pulled over and we got off. But before our stop, it appeared a couple missed their stop and had to walk back to where they wanted to get off. Morale of the story, tell the driver, have a map and pay attention! enjoy your cruise
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCCL Song of Norway: April 1990, Southern Caribbean
NCL Gem: April 2015, Bahamas and Florida
NCL Gem: April 2016, Eastern Caribbean
NCL Breakaway: August 2017, Bermuda

#3
Windsor Locks, CT
6,438 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
The public buses do not stop at every bus stop unless someone signals for a stop or someone is waiting to board at the bus stop.

If you know where your stop is, signal (pull cord???) as you approach the stop, or if you don't know where the stop actually is, then politely tell the driver what your destination is when you board, i.e., BAMZ, the caves, Warwick Long Bay Beach.....

Don't forget to thank the bus driver as you debark the bus.

Just remember, the fare is paid by coins. token, ticket, or Transportation Pass. Bills are not accepted and drivers do not make change.

SBtS
#4
67 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful... that really clears it up!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




#6
4,504 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Its been a few years, but we docked in Hamilton on the Veendam. Walked to the main bus depot. We had a map. When we got on the bus, we told the driver where we wanted to go, and they very kindly told us when to get off. As long as you are polite to them, they will be polite to you.
#7
Essex
117 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by SailBadtheSinner
The public buses do not stop at every bus stop unless someone signals for a stop or someone is waiting to board at the bus stop.

If you know where your stop is, signal (pull cord???) as you approach the stop, or if you don't know where the stop actually is, then politely tell the driver what your destination is when you board, i.e., BAMZ, the caves, Warwick Long Bay Beach.....

Don't forget to thank the bus driver as you debark the bus.

Just remember, the fare is paid by coins. token, ticket, or Transportation Pass. Bills are not accepted and drivers do not make change.

SBtS
hello we are going to Bermuda soon I I wonder what sort of prices they charge on the buses so we can have the right change thank you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Counting the days
#8
Windsor Locks, CT
6,438 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
Originally posted by Sammi dee
hello we are going to Bermuda soon I I wonder what sort of prices they charge on the buses so we can have the right change thank you.
The fare is $5.00 (coins only, exact change) for both the public buses and ferries: or a $4.50 token purchased prior to boarding either; or a multi day Transportation Pass; or a ticket from a 15 ticket booklet. The token, TP, or booklet of tickets are purchased at a Visitor's Information Center.



SBtS
#9
Essex
117 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by SailBadtheSinner
The fare is $5.00 (coins only, exact change) for both the public buses and ferries: or a $4.50 token purchased prior to boarding either; or a multi day Transportation Pass; or a ticket from a 15 ticket booklet. The token, TP, or booklet of tickets are purchased at a Visitor's Information Center.



SBtS
Hello thank you for the answer,you can always get the help that you need here .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Counting the days