Hertz car rental

Boytjie

I opted to book a rental car with Hertz for our visit to St. Barts. We were going to be in port from Noon till 11 PM so I inquired about dropping a car off that late and also about whether the car could be picked up near where the tenders dock.

I was told that Hertz was not allowed to drop cars off in port and that I had to go to the airport. I was also told that the airport location closes at 6 PM but I could leave the car in the airport rental car lot and lock the keys in the car and it would be OK.

After tendering in the five of us hailed a cab to take us to the airport; the driver said the cars were in the port but I wold he I had instructions to go to the airport. $40 later we were at the airport where the Hertz employee told me that the car was in the port! I showed her the email that I received saying I had to get it at the airport. She had to drive me back to the port to get the car; all five f us could not fit so the rest of my party had to wait at the airport. She also showed me a key drop-off box when returning the car after the office closed.

The rest of the day was uneventful - except for refilling gas: we had a gas pump that only gave instructions in French and nothing worked. A local could not help us. Then we found more pumps in the location that had more options for language, including English.

We dropped the car off and a Hertz employee happened to come by and offered to take us back to the port and receive the car.

Once back in Florida I emailed Hertz to ask if they could refund the cab fare since I followed their instructions to go to the airport. Even though I did not have a receipt; they posted a refund to my credit card.

So even though it was annoying and wasted time, Hertz St. Barts came through and did the right thing.