Cunard releases inspiring Transatlantic Crossing video

57eric

I think it probably has to do with the line "But if you want to be casual and you don't want to dress up, you don't have to." If so, I'd say that's reading too much into it to interpret that line as signalling an end to the dress code.

On an entirely different tangent, I found the following line in the video a bit curious.

"You can't fill up seven days with the amount of things there are to do on the ship."

To me, that means there is an insufficient amount of things to do on the ship to fill seven days, when I presume the speaker's intent is just the opposite. Or is this perhaps one of those American English versus British English differences?

I think it probably has to do with the line "But if you want to be casual and you don't want to dress up, you don't have to." If so, I'd say that's reading too much into it to interpret that line as signalling an end to the dress code.
OK, now I know we were watching different videos, there was no dialogue in the one on the UK Cunard page !

I think I found it on YouTube, it still didn't seem anything to get worried about.

OK, now I know we were watching different videos, there was no dialogue in the one on the UK Cunard page !

I think I found it on YouTube, it still didn't seem anything to get worried about.

Ah yes, a URL to "cunard.com" that gets redirected to "cunard.co.uk" in the UK and ends up not finding the right video.

Just so we are all on the same page, here is the youtube video we are discussing. Actually there are two versions of the video, one a bit longer than the other.

Here is a shorter 1:20 version of video which is the one from cunard.com linked to by the OP.

Here is a longer 3:32 version of the video.

Nothing to worry about at all ! The guy who made the comment "If you want to go casual etc " was originally referring to the evening venue 'Carinthia Lounge' on QM. I know Jeff very well ( a good friend of mine) he'll also be on next months fashion voyage and is the last person to be encouraging an end to the Cunard dress code. Unfortunately a lot of what he was commenting on ( and others too taking part in this new advert ) happened to be edited for brevity and has probably ended up on the cutting room floor. :(

I've just watched this through. As a seasoned Cunarder it doesn't worry me unduly, but at the same time I can see how a newbie cruiser hearing "if you don't want to dress up, you don't have to" may take this out of context and think that the dress code is optional.

You make a good point there Wolfie, the cynic in me says, that bit of clever editing could have been the motives of the men in grey suits in the 'North American'brand office. The same office that came up with 'Glala'

It's been known before, when the Jazz voyages were promoted ;)

The Australian page takes me to a dialogue-less promotional video, which was still very good. There was no inkling of the downgrading of the evening (and I stress 'evening') dress code.

I then watched the 3 minute one and still saw no evidence. I think the footage of formal wear trumps the throwaway line about not dressing up if you don't want to (though I do fear it may cause people who don't read the fine print on Cunard dining room dress etiquette to feel somewhat deceived).

Regardless, at least it is the case in Australia that people see Cunard as an ultra luxury line. The media are always commenting on how 5 star it is (not that I disagree with them, but fares for regular cabins can be had for similar to other lines). Just the other week they used such a line to cast shade on a popularist/of the people Australian Senator holidaying on Queen Elizabeth. I had a little laugh when they carried on as though the average wage earner could never step foot on a Cunarder. It will be interesting if this holds true with Elizabeth being based in Australia for 3 months (and when she is permanently based in Asia/Australia from 2022).

One thing I loved about the videos (in addition to making me excited for next month's Queen Victoria cruise and desiring to be on QM2 again) was the diversity on display: an expected range of ages, gender, race and sexuality. Good to see Cunard showing it is with the times and acknowledging its passenger demographics.