Suggestion on what to do in Ushuaia (tierra Del Fuego), Argentina

Kiwi_cruiser

I have never been to Ushuaia (tierra Del Fuego) before.

I was wondering would you recommend doing here for the day??

If you have been to Ushuaia (tierra Del Fuego) before, what did you do there for the day??

Also does the cruise ships dock near the city? or do we dock a long way from it?

Any ideas / suggestions are very welcome :)

I was in Ushuaia in March this year. The ship was docked very close to the town. We went on a half day tour to Tierra Del Fuego National Park which was beautiful. After the tour we walked around the town which had many tourist shops and along the waterfront. We had a lovely day and hope you do too.

Sent from my A1601 using Forums mobile app

IMG20180308082222.thumb.jpg.b0df87842370850b774ce9b52a77d0db.jpg

IMG20180308095354.thumb.jpg.a22440fa3967fb70db5b4513d76cf0aa.jpg

IMG20180308091340.thumb.jpg.eaddee7da4c95cb22085d7da68bb8012.jpg

Edited by PurpleTraveller

Our cruise ship stopped in Ushuaia in March, 2016. We were the first passengers off the ship at around 6:30 AM.

The ship docked at a pier right in town, so we walked up to the Main Street, Av. San Martin. As we exited the dock, we saw the Fin del Mundo sign overlooking the harbor ( on the right) and we stopped for a picture.

Then we proceeded uphill about two blocks until we came to Av. San Martin and walked two or three blocks to the left until we found the Andino Restaurant which opened at 7:00 AM. We had a delicious breakfast and spent the rest of the day walking around the town and later, down by the waterfront.

The scenery was amazing with snow covered mountains. It was extremely cold and we wore winter jackets, warm socks and sneakers, gloves, and wool caps and scarves.

Ushuaia is magical and it was our favorite port of the entire Round the Horn cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Ushuaia is one of the most memorable places I've ever been to. I'm sure you'll find it fascinating. Scenery is fantastic. Be sure to stop in at the post office (gets really crowded though), and also apply for your certificate for visiting the southernmost city in the world! While there, we did a trip with Canoero Catamarans in the Beagle Channel and saw lots of South American cormorants. Tierra Del Fuego National Park is a great visit also. Ushuaia is very walkable and makes for an enjoyable time. That whole area down there is just an amazing part of the world. Enjoy!!!!

I was considering just catching a taxi for a short tour/trip to Tierra Del Fuego, then finishing the day in town.

I would like to confirm with past cruisers that they saw taxi’s at the port. We don’t care if the driver speaks English...touring with Spanglish is part of the fun. We can’t drive manual transmission cars so car rental is out.

I would suggest you consider a tour to the penguin rookery. This can't be done through the ship as there is only 1 organization that is allowed to take people to the rookery. You will actually be walking among the penguins after a zodiac ride from land.

The group that does these tours is Pira Tours. This is a seasonal offering so their offices are often closed from spring to fall - October I believe. They are limited to the number of people that they can take to the rookery, I think it is 20 at a time. It is a long 75-90 minute drive each way so in most cases only 1 or 2 groups from a ship can go.

It is among our most memorable tours/

I love Ushuaia! I was on a Holland America cruise from Santiago to Buenos Aires and our ship docked right near town. I took a trip to "the end of the world" road that went into the National Park. Great day and beautiful sites! Ushuaia is a great town to walk around.....lots of shop and restaurants, and the setting for the town is absolutely gorgeous......you are in a bowl of mountains all around you! I am planning another tour to that part of the world because of the beauty!!!!!! There are also good shops on the dock as you walk back to the ship, so you can do some good last minute shopping! You will have some good choices, I am sure, of shore excursions with the ship or independent, so do enjoy!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2018 at 3:05 PM, jelayne said:

I would suggest you consider a tour to the penguin rookery. This can't be done through the ship as there is only 1 organization that is allowed to take people to the rookery. You will actually be walking among the penguins after a zodiac ride from land.

The group that does these tours is Pira Tours. This is a seasonal offering so their offices are often closed from spring to fall - October I believe. They are limited to the number of people that they can take to the rookery, I think it is 20 at a time. It is a long 75-90 minute drive each way so in most cases only 1 or 2 groups from a ship can go.

It is among our most memorable tours/

We will be in Ushuaia December 31st. I had read great things about the Pira Tours trip to the rookery and contacted them back early September to inquire about reserving with them. 

The first response thanked me for my interest and that they were trying to coordinate with the ship and would be generating a spread sheet based on passengers interested in this tour. Mid September I had an email informing me that due to time constraints, they were unable to put together a tour on December 31st. 

I have since booked the Punta Tomba Penguin Rookery at Puerto Madryn through ship excursions.

We did the penguin tour to an island (I think it was the Pira Tour) it was to the Harberton estate then across to Martillo island. We saw Gentoo & Magellanic penguins. We were told not to get too close to them, but no-one told them, especially the Gentoos, they were very curious. It was a long drive, but very well worth it. It was a highlight of our cruise. It was easy as the company’s desk was just at the end of the jetty. We booked online beforehand, then just walked to their desk to meet them.

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/30/2018 at 7:18 PM, andrek said:

How do you buy the train tickets in advance? That would be great!

As non Argentinians you can not buy your tickets in advance.  You can just show up and get tickets once you arrive.  Make sure to also buy Park Entrance tickets (sold separately).  Note the train is only one way and you are dropped off within the park.  

I recommend a tour that includes the train and park.

On 11/20/2018 at 11:30 PM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

We did the penguin tour to an island (I think it was the Pira Tour) it was to the Harberton estate then across to Martillo island. We saw Gentoo & Magellanic penguins. We were told not to get too close to them, but no-one told them, especially the Gentoos, they were very curious. It was a long drive, but very well worth it. It was a highlight of our cruise. It was easy as the company’s desk was just at the end of the jetty. We booked online beforehand, then just walked to their desk to meet them.

You are correct -- the tour to Harberton Estancia was with Pira Tours.  We have used them twice, and thought that their bird guides were excellent.

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, flipflap78 said:

Hello!
Excuse my speech, but I read that this itinerary is the one most at risk for the rough sea, can you reassure me? I saw a departure in March, thank you! 

We also traveled there in March and had great weather and no problem with any port.  Of course, that's no guarantee for your visit.  You are correct that the South American itinerary does have some ports that are subject to rough seas and could be missed, especially those ports which are tender ports.  Port Stanley seems to be the one that has the most problems.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 1:33 AM, Gphanton said:

We used tourguideushuaia.net last year and they brought us to a Tour that included the National Park with hiking. Very memorable and highly recommended.

+!. We did the same and would recommend it, with the caveat that it is not suitable for a person with any mobility problem. Beautiful scenery and a well-informed, naturalist guide. 

One caution. We posted a rip-off priced postcard from the private post office at the End of the World, just because. Three months later we still do not have it, so you might not want to repeat that experience. 

On 1/31/2019 at 1:33 AM, Gphanton said:

We used tourguideushuaia.net last year and they brought us to a Tour that included the National Park with hiking. Very memorable and highly recommended.

Thank you for your review my husband and I are looking to do that tour in 2020.