Teacher / Government Employee Discount

Bet_The_Field

I don't think they "combined" the rate discount. I have been given the choice of the 10% military discount or the Voyager 5% discount, but not both on all of my MSC bookings.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is this discount available on all cruises? The website indicates on "select" sailings, but I can't find any link on the site that lists the select sailings. Thanks.

The 'select' sailings refers to cruises with a 5+5% or 5+15% discount in the 'Voyages Selection' sailings. Click on the Voyagers Club tab on the website for further information.

The 'select' sailings refers to cruises with a 5+5% or 5+15% discount in the 'Voyages Selection' sailings. Click on the Voyagers Club tab on the website for further information.

Thanks so much for that information! I applied for status match without already having a cruise booked, and am still awaiting word. Do you know if that is a problem? It appears I would be unable to create a Voyager's Club account until a cruise is booked.

Well, after several calls by me and my TA, we were told that MSC will NOT honor this discount after final payment. (Even though we both talked to reps who told us they would absolutely honor it).

As was mentioned in the post above by Cruiseguyinorl, my TA was told that you can't get the civil servant discount on top of the Voyager's Club discount, and only the Voyager's Club discount will be honored after final payment.

Well, I stand corrected! I called MSC about something else related to our upcoming cruise, and was told that we did in fact qualify for the 10% Civil Service discount after all, and better yet, they would give it to us even though we had made our final payment. Since I had already received the 5% Voyager's Club discount, they applied the remaining 5% to my credit card. :D AND THE BEST NEWS :D I was told I could apply it to up to two additional bookings for the same cruise. I just happened to have two additional staterooms linked to my booking for our adult children (one of whom is a teacher and would have qualified for the discount on her own), so they, too, were given 10% refunds. I talked to MSC on Wednesday and the refunds cleared our credit card this morning.

I know someone questioned why teachers should receive a discount. I think I figured it out. Teachers can only cruise when the ships are filled with child passengers running about. (I knew a teacher who went on a cruise for her honeymoon and ran right into some of her middle school students at embarkation!) Teachers find it nearly impossible to ignore children who are misbehaving around them--especially if their behavior is dangerous. By enticing teachers to cruise along with all of these kids, MSC is getting all kinds of extra help with supervision! If the parents won't keep an eye on their kids, the teachers won't be able to stop themselves from speaking up. Brilliant!! ;)

I know someone questioned why teachers should receive a discount. I think I figured it out. Teachers can only cruise when the ships are filled with child passengers running about. (I knew a teacher who went on a cruise for her honeymoon and ran right into some of her middle school students at embarkation!) Teachers find it nearly impossible to ignore children who are misbehaving around them--especially if their behavior is dangerous. By enticing teachers to cruise along with all of these kids, MSC is getting all kinds of extra help with supervision! If the parents won't keep an eye on their kids, the teachers won't be able to stop themselves from speaking up. Brilliant!! ;)

I love this thinking!! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

I love this thinking!! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I may have mentioned this in a post before, but it supports my theory. My wife, a school principal, found herself in the Divina YC pool with two small boys who were enjoying doing cannon balls into the pool while their parents relaxed with drinks in the hot tub. She said to the boys, "I am a school principal, and I do have an office on this ship. I also know the captain. You wouldn't want to have to talk to him in my office, would you?" They calmed way down, and by the end of the week, they were her best friends!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks so much for that information! I applied for status match without already having a cruise booked, and am still awaiting word. Do you know if that is a problem? It appears I would be unable to create a Voyager's Club account until a cruise is booked.

Unfortunately I'm not au fait with the Status Match programme (other than what I've read on here), so I can't answer - sorry. There are a number of threads on the subject; perhaps the answer is contained in one of them? :confused:

• 4 months later...

Coming back here to tell the original poster THANK YOU. I had our online travel agency contact MSC, and they took $400 off my total..easy peasy!

On 7/20/2018 at 2:29 PM, Bet_The_Field said:

Just an FYI for anyone looking to book and/or with a current booking. I just realized MSC has a discount for teachers and government employees. About 10 minutes on the phone netted me an additional 5% (~200$) off my cruise.

844-320-0758 was the number I used. I was able to take a picture of my government ID, email it the representative and within a few minutes had a new confirmation with the discounted rate.

On 7/21/2018 at 2:34 PM, marco said:

Do note however that unless their policy has changed changed, it's not across the board, it's for "selected sailings" and for booking a balcony cabin or higher (like yacht club)...but definitely ask (or have your TA ask) if it applies to the cruise you're booking.

First cruise with MSC was in 2016. The teacher's discount was used for an inside cabin. 

Thanks for this thread, am booking when my TA returns on Monday from vacation and am not sure if any of this will apply to me or my booking but I am thankful for the information. I am a government employee so I am hopeful that I will get an additional discount on my chosen sailing. If I don't get the discount for whatever reason, I am still thankful for everyone who post their experiences on this site so that some others may benefit.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Just came across the teachers discount and I have a couple of questions. 

my wife is retired teacher at a private catholic school. Would she qualify even though it wasn’t a state  public school?

also, we have reached final payment date yet. Would we lose any of our booking perks? Like easy drink package, free internet and paid gratuities? 

I’m hoping that they would just reduce the amount owed at final payment date. 

any help is appreciated. 

jason

Edited by jmoak

14 hours ago, jmoak said:

Just came across the teachers discount and I have a couple of questions. 

my wife is retired teacher at a private catholic school. Would she qualify even though it wasn’t a state  public school?

also, we have reached final payment date yet. Would we lose any of our booking perks? Like easy drink package, free internet and paid gratuities? 

I’m hoping that they would just reduce the amount owed at final payment date. 

any help is appreciated. 

jason

It can't hurt to try.  I literally took a picture of my government ID and sent it to them.

We didn't lose any perk and it bumped the discount to 10%. 

I am a faculty member at a public university. My ID says the name of the university, although I am technically a state employee. I find that some merchants and travel companies will not honor the teacher or govt employee discounts for me because they dont recognize faculty at state universities as either govt employees or teachers. Has anyone run into this with MSC? Looking at booking for Dec and it would be good to know if anyone else has been successful. 

27 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

I am a faculty member at a public university. My ID says the name of the university, although I am technically a state employee. I find that some merchants and travel companies will not honor the teacher or govt employee discounts for me because they dont recognize faculty at state universities as either govt employees or teachers. Has anyone run into this with MSC? Looking at booking for Dec and it would be good to know if anyone else has been successful. 

My wife is a Professor at a private university, and MSC has always given her discount.  I work in the utility industry, but am an adjunct at a State University, and MSC has said that was good enough for the discount, FWIW.

Thank you for posting about this! Two members of my party are civil service employees so I'm going to try to get the discount, even though I'm past final payment. Just have to clear 45 minutes of hold-the-phone time on my schedule...