horizon boarding

Drill2dk

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we arrived early for the 8/8 sailing. We got to port at 10:30 but our check-in time wasn't until noon. We were directed to the "too early" line, but they checked us in and gave us boarding zone 26. They started boarding platinum/diamond around 11:30; we were on board by 12:30.

In my experience, no, they aren't strict. We were on the Horizon on June 13th. We chose the 11:30-12pm check-in online. We arrived a little before 12pm, and were immediately put through the line and assigned zone 30. The people seated across from us in the waiting area were assigned zone 26, and their check-in wasn't until 1:30pm.

Still not sure why Carnival assigns check-in times if they are ignored by the port offficials.

What time do they start boarding? are they strict with sticking with time slot you were given during check in?

The answers to both of your questions depends on the port. They won't start boarding the new passengers until all of the previous passengers have left the ship. As an example, Tampa, Galveston and sometimes Baltimore have trouble getting back in on time because of fog which delays when boarding can start. For most of our cruises, they have started the boarding process between 11:15 to 11:45.

As for checking in, some ports are strict with the check in times while others have a separate line for early or late arrivals. I've read on here where Baltimore won't even let you into the parking lot until 3/4 of the previous cruisers have left the lot. Again, it depends on the port.

I was on the 8/8 sailing, if you arrive prior to your time they will let you inside the terminal unlike at other ports but you will be directed to another line. There is an "on time" line, and a "too early" line. We had the 11:30-12:00 window, arrived at 11:45 and were sent to the on time line where we breezed through check in and security. We were given a zone 11 card, and we were on board by 12:00. From the curb of the terminal to onboard in 15 minutes, I was impressed. Others that arrived to early were sent to a much longer line to have their passport checked and go through security, and they were giving out zone 26 cards at that point.