Cabin temperature

camarowesley

On another site John Heald recently asked if your cabin temperature was acceptable. Most said it was too warm, even hot! I know room temperature is subjective, but for those of us who are tired of paying alot of money for a cabin that's to hot to sleep in, lets do something about it. This is an issue that has been ongoing for several years. Maybe if we all sent an email to adonald@carnival.com

someone would finally listen and do something about it.

We have cruised on Carnival 42 times, RCCL Princess and NCL and have never had a temp. issue in our cabin. Now on Carnival we always get an Ocean View on level 1 or 2. That could be a cooler location on the ship. We had Balconies and never used them so we don't book them any more. If any thing we lower the temp in the cabin. I carry a room thermometer with us and try to keep the cabin about 72F to 74F. Never had a problem. The thermometer is a good idea in case you do have an issue you can show the service person firs hand.

Just an added note, we were told that the cooling system on the ships is done with cold water not refrigeration. Don't know if

that's true but it came from a ship officer.

It's been hit or miss. Last cruise it was warm at times but then seemed to level out over time. I like it a little cooler in the room. Perfect temp would be 70-72 for me. We always do a balcony (like to spend time out there during the day and especially at night) so that in itself can cause fluctuations when the door is opened and closed. Usually we try to keep the curtains closed though so the sun doesn't heat the room up much.

Ours was and interior room on deck 7 in July and it was hot; seemed little the room steward could do to help. We typically keep the house at 70 and that is a comprise. It was uncomfortable to me and I typically like it warmer than we keep our home. We will be bring a fan for DH on our cruise this July. We are also hoping that having an aft balcony will help if we need air flow.

We have cruised on Carnival 42 times, RCCL Princess and NCL and have never had a temp. issue in our cabin. Now on Carnival we always get an Ocean View on level 1 or 2. That could be a cooler location on the ship. We had Balconies and never used them so we don't book them any more. If any thing we lower the temp in the cabin. I carry a room thermometer with us and try to keep the cabin about 72F to 74F. Never had a problem. The thermometer is a good idea in case you do have an issue you can show the service person firs hand.

Just an added note, we were told that the cooling system on the ships is done with cold water not refrigeration. Don't know if

that's true but it came from a ship officer.

Well, yes and no. Rather than circulate vast amounts of refrigerant around the ship, the ship has very large compressor units in the engine room, and the refrigerant from these cools a "chilled water" system of fresh water to about 40-45*F and then this water is circulated around the ship.

Your cabin will receive 20% of its volume in fresh outside air every hour, and this air is cooled in large air handlers that supply a whole bank of cabins with their fresh air. The temperature control in the room controls a fan cooler, which recirculates 80% of the cabin's volume every hour, and passes it over a cooling coil cooled by the chilled water. The thermostat controls whether the water passes through the cooler or not.

Lots of Florida residents are saying temp is fine. Your bodies are used to hotter weather, my northern body is not.

I have heard the Vista has a better cooling system that is in each room. When I sail her next month, I'll find out. I think Carnival has listened.

On Splendor last April we had a nice cool room every time we went to our room. We did our research and were told to keep the curtains closed during the day when were were not in there and it kept the room cool and we didnt even turn the thermostat to the coldest setting. we had it kind of in the middle to the cooler side but never had to turn it colder.

I am indeed a native Floridian (despite a stint in Texas and other states before graduating high school) and have lived back here for over 30 years so maybe I have different sensitivities. I've only been on 2 Carnival cruises, both balconies, one last July and one last December and I thought the _night_ time temps were fine. I can't stand sleeping while hot and I crank the AC down at home and was worried about that when going on the cruise but most nights I ended up needing covers because the temp was plenty cool.

During the day, however, it was definitely warmer than I like but we weren't in there very often during the day. It certainly didn't stop me from cruising!

My next cruise is also a balcony but I've already gotten the word from on high that if I aim to continue cruising, some of them are gonna be windows or interiors. I hope those are cool at night too.

At least we all agree that if we get to do an Alaska cruise in the future, that will be a balcony. ;)

My next cruise is also a balcony but I've already gotten the word from on high that if I aim to continue cruising, some of them are gonna be windows or interiors. I hope those are cool at night too.

At least we all agree that if we get to do an Alaska cruise in the future, that will be a balcony. ;)

We, too, gave up balconies to be able to cruise more often. I like the insides, and I don't feel guilty if I don't spend time in the room.

We sailed Alaska, and it was too cold for a balcony!

On another site John Heald recently asked if your cabin temperature was acceptable. Most said it was too warm, even hot! I know room temperature is subjective, but for those of us who are tired of paying alot of money for a cabin that's to hot to sleep in, lets do something about it. This is an issue that has been ongoing for several years. Maybe if we all sent an email to adonald@carnival.com

someone would finally listen and do something about it.

It will vary.

Out of 5 cruises, three have had cabins that were warmer than our liking when it comes to sleeping. Our cruise on the Freedom a few years ago, I think that A/C was shut completely off at night even though we had it as cool as it would go.

I felt the same on our Freedom cruise a couple of weeks ago. Way too hot

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 year later...

YOU SAID: Well, yes and no. Rather than circulate vast amounts of refrigerant around the ship, the ship has very large compressor units in the engine room, and the refrigerant from these cools a "chilled water" system of fresh water to about 40-45*F and then this water is circulated around the ship. Your cabin will receive 20% of its volume in fresh outside air every hour, and this air is cooled in large air handlers that supply a whole bank of cabins with their fresh air. The temperature control in the room controls a fan cooler, which recirculates 80% of the cabin's volume every hour, and passes it over a cooling coil cooled by the chilled water. The thermostat controls whether the water passes through the cooler or not.

Question: You seem to understand the cooling system well. Would you happen to know if the cooling works better on certain decks based on this blower system? I will be on deck 7(Empress), but my friends on deck 2 (Main). Would the lower decks (1 and 2) receive better cooling/circulation as they are probably closer to the cooling system? Will higher decks 7-8 receive cooled, but not as cool air due to the length of traveling to those areas?

Thanks!