I'm not live but i was there..24 days of voyager of the seas and celebrity solstice

Greetings fellow cruise critic viewers. I am finally getting around to posting a review of our recent trip to the South Pacific, Australia and New Zealand (with Hawaii strategically placed in there).

We departed Toronto, Ontario on January 16th and returned on February 23. I am Steve and my wife is Vanda. Come the end of this journey, I will have cruised 20 times and Vanda would be at numero 21. We are both in our early 50's and would be meeting up with our good friends who live in Australia who have also cruised over 24 times. Its a shame we really are not that loyal to one cruise line otherwise we would have had all those great perks the frequent flyers get. We tend to look at the itinerary when deciding what cruise to book. This would be our 2nd cruise with Royal and based on our experience on the Navigator last year, Royal cruises are always a place we now look when thinking about a cruise. If you're interested in a shameless plug, here is my Navigator review. We would spend 24 days between both ships this time.

So as I mentioned above, we departed from Toronto. However, rather than sitting on a plane for over 20 hours we decided the best path to Australia would be through Hawaii. Yep, that's right Hawaii. So what does that mean? Well, our cruises would embark in Sydney and the Solstice would make us leave in Auckland. So, with that in mind, I booked a return flight, Toronto to Honolulu and then a flight from Honolulu to Sydney and then following Solstice we would have another one way flight from Auckland to Honolulu. The beauty of that one was we got to have the same day twice.

So why did we do it this way? A couple of reasons. First off, we love Hawaii. Secondly, between Honolulu and Sydney there is a 20 hour time difference, one day ahead. This helped to eliminate any possible jet lag or at least that what we wanted to think. We would have a total of 8 days in Hawaii, 4 before and 4 following our cruise.

So our original itinerary would be as follows:

Toronto to Hawaii - 4 days

Fly to Sydney to meet up with Voyager of the Seas

Voyager would take us for 10 days as follows:

Noumea, New Caledonia

Mystery Island, Vanuatu

Vila, Vanuatu

Lifou, Loyalty Island

Mare, New Caledonia

We would spend a day in Sydney following this cruise and then board Solstice to the following destinations:

Sydney

Melbourne, Australia

Hobart, Australia (Tasmania)

Milford Sound, New Zealand

Doubtful and Milford Fjords

Dusky Sound, New Zealand

Dunedin, New Zealand

Akaroa, New Zealand

Wellington, New Zealand

Napier, New Zealand

Bay of Islands, New Zealand

Auckland, New Zealand

We then we head back to Hawaii.

What you can expect from this review. I will try to answer whatever questions you may have. If you are looking for food pictures...move on, I don't have any (just kidding you don't have to move on). Having said that, I have a ton of pictures to post. Most of the review will be on the scenery. It was spectacular to say the least and my pictures just wont do it justice.

I will do my best to get to this each day. However, it will take me some time to get through close to 32 days of adventure. So please sit back and hopefully enjoy what I have to bring to you. I will get into the meat of this tomorrow but for now here is a little bit of our stop in Hawaii

27298429548_3853c58540_c.jpg

Our view from the Waikiki Marriott Resort

40276308075_1cacdf0307_c.jpg

I'll be back tomorrow to get this thing going.. Cheers until then!

Ok... I said I would be back the day after I started this but that didn't work out so well. Then I discovered everyone's friend CruiseLifeRick had started a live thread on Symphony so I ended up caught up in that.... Oh well.. I'm here now.

I think where I last left off is that we were about to take off from Toronto for Honolulu. Our pre-flight hotel was at the Delta Toronto Airport and Conference centre hotel. I give this hotel 2 thumbs up. The rooms were large and very clean. The hotel had a great bar and seemed very lively. Once we settled in to the hotel we spent some time at the bar and proceeded to get our vacation groove on! A shot of the bar.

40587160474_fb3a734230_c.jpg

And our room.

40587160664_4c0b64cdc0_c.jpg

As we would be away for close to 6 weeks, we decided the best place to leave our Jeep would be at the Toronto Park n Fly. Which we did. We used the valet service and from the time we dropped the car off to the time we made it through customs (in Toronto you clear US customs before you depart rather than when you arrive) and security it was literally less than 30 minutes. Not a bad start to our journey. Next stop would be Honolulu.

So the flight from Toronto through Chicago to Honolulu was uneventful. Thus, the reason I am writing this I suppose.

We arrived in Honolulu around 2:30 pm. Honolulu slips 6 hours behind our time so we still had some day left but we of course were on 7:30 pm time.

I had arranged for a private pick up at the airport with Go808 Express. They were fantastic. They contacted us as soon as we arrived to let us know where to find them and they were waiting outside. It was a private shuttle and it was $27 total plus tip. Hard to beat!

We were staying at the Marriott Waikiki Resort and Spa. The hotel was beautiful and pretty much every room has some kind of a view. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. In fact, we did at the end of the trip.

Some shots of the hotel:

27429454588_5fa403ae46_z.jpg

Our Room:

27429454668_40db520c0a_z.jpg

Our View:

39361774570_af18789238_c.jpg

39361777550_9a1e92fc0a_z.jpg

39361777170_64aef265a5_z.jpg

On day 2 in Waikiki we decided we would rent a car for the day and drive around the island. One of the things I love about Oahu is that Honolulu is everything a city should be but you are mere seconds from paradise. Today we were off to see a little bit of paradise.

We started off with a drive toward Diamond Head and Diamond Head Beach Park.

39361777880_5c58d8fac0_c.jpg

40276316255_7f2df02b96_c.jpg

39361773480_6e14e57f41_c.jpg

40276315805_7cf16b9317_c.jpg

40276315405_377f9986e1_c.jpg

So the weather wasn't on our side today and we were in and out of the rain all day. It didn't matter tho' as it was still very warm and well, back home there was snow.

40276316165_f1dc2d588a_c.jpg

40276316015_5db64c739a_c.jpg

39361773110_97a3530461_c.jpg

Rain or shine the surfers never stop...

39361772860_40d4be791d_c.jpg

39361772550_ab40e7c782_c.jpg

Looking forward to the rest of your review. I am in the process of planning our second trip to Australia/New Zealand. We are booked on Solstice Sydney to Auckland followed by Explorer to the South Pacific Islands. Will have lots of interest in your review of the South Pacific Islands as we will be stopping at all the ports you visited other than Mare.

Looking forward to the rest of your review. I am in the process of planning our second trip to Australia/New Zealand. We are booked on Solstice Sydney to Auckland followed by Explorer to the South Pacific Islands. Will have lots of interest in your review of the South Pacific Islands as we will be stopping at all the ports you visited other than Mare.

I will try and answer any questions you may have... a bit of a spoiler alert... our itinerary did change slightly for the South Pacific islands as we found ourselves on Voyager out manoeuvring a cyclone that was trying to mess our trip up. We actually never made it to Mare. We had Luganville, Vanuatu added to replace Mare. That was a fantastic switch.

Hi sayvan.

Bob and Chris from aussie following along. We just got back from a solstice cruise to nz also and loved every minute of it. Looking forward to checking out your great pic review.

CHEERS Bob.:D:D

Our next stop would be at Koko Head and Hanauma Bay Nature Reserve. The scenery around this spot was absolutely stunning. The area is also known for its natural reef and snorkelling. In fact, you have to watch a 5 minute movie before you are allowed down to the bay area. We did snorkel in the rain and I have to admit the water wasn't as clear as we had heard it would be or hoped it would be. I think the weather played a role in that. The area is also very crowded. Close to 3,000 visitors a day we were told. If your looking for a less busy beach, this is not the place. You do have to pay a fee to get into the park. The cost was $7.50 unless you have state ID then its free. The beach was beautiful though. These shots were before he clouds really rolled in.

27298425058_e9f08a91d8_c.jpg

40276314065_05c55d3a95_c.jpg

27298419778_885938282d_c.jpg

Over the course of the trip we did a fair amount of snorkelling. This was our first swim for that and we were trying out our new full face masks. I highly recommend these. They take a few minutes to get used to but you can breathe through your nose or mouth.

Courtesy of my GoPro Hero 4 camera here is some snorkel shots. As you can see the coral (although lots of it) wasn't really that great. The water was very murky.

40276307025_75c947e453_c.jpg

40459599114_b48d829195_c.jpg

Hi sayvan.

Bob and Chris from aussie following along. We just got back from a solstice cruise to nz also and loved every minute of it. Looking forward to checking out your great pic review.

CHEERS Bob.:D:D

Hey Bob and Chris... Thanks for following along. When were you on Solstice? We got off her on February 17th.

Cheers...

...and then the skies opened up so we decided to pack it up and head back to the car.

27298423478_92f54c89e9_c.jpg

There is about a 15 minute walk to get to the bay. Heading down its not bad at all. Heading back up its an exercise program. They do offer a free shuttle if you need or want that.

Once back up we had to take a couple more shots of this beautiful bay. You can see how the sky is already clearing by the time we reached the top.

40276311995_31166eeb7a_c.jpg

We then headed back on the road toward the North Shore.

27298416368_77aedea785_c.jpg

You can see the weather still would not give us a break. But hey, we were in Hawaii so it didn't really matter.

40459596574_b093f0470f_c.jpg

A few miles down the road the weather did start to improve.

39361774190_89101e879f_c.jpg

Well kinda improved...

40276311075_3f11271487_c.jpg