Nordam May 12-20 Upsell offers?

olya1972

Hello, all. Looking if anyone on Nordam May 12-20, 2018 sailing (35 days out) received any Upsell offers. We booked through on-line travel agency. When I called Upsell phone number I found on this boards, rep told me they can't help me, I have to deal with my TA. I thought I read before that even those booked through TA can contact Upsell office on their own at least for the info and then do the actual transaction through TA. Is this incorrect? TA s not forwarding us any Upsell offers at this time. I saw on a different thread that other Alaska sailings have been offered Upsells even at 37 days out. Anyone on our sailing received an offer? In general how do I make sure not to miss the offer dealing with big online TA? Any tips on getting at least the info from HAL's Upsells Department directly? Thank you all who will reply. BTW, there is no Roll Call for this sailing ( before someone directs me there:)).

If you booked through a TA, HAL will only deal with TAs.

If you (or your TA) contact HAL, most likely you will get full price offers. If HAL contacts you (or your TA), that is when possibly exciting upsell offers will develop.

Actually there is a Roll Call -- small one:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2584195

You need to call your TA and have him/her contact HAL to see if there are any upsell offers.

Thank you. I was looking through Roll calls but must have missed it. Posted question there. Will see if any replies will come in. Like you said, it's a small Roll call.

If you booked through a TA, HAL will only deal with TAs.

If you (or your TA) contact HAL, most likely you will get full price offers. If HAL contacts you (or your TA), that is when possibly exciting upsell offers will develop.

Thank You. I realize if I'll be asking for it HAL has no incentive to make good offer. Will contact TA tomorrow. Hopefully they will be helpful. They may have offers sitting in their emails and too big and too busy with forwarding those.

Actually there is a Roll Call -- small one:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2584195

You need to call your TA and have him/her contact HAL to see if there are any upsell offers.

Hi again. I am only able to get to this Roll call from your link. I can't find it just by going through HAL Roll Calls. I am putting" Noordam" , dates in search but this Roll call doesn't come up. What am I doing wrong.?

Most Upsell offers don't start until 3 weeks before sailing and go right up to the day before if not enough people have accepted the offers. Some lucky cruisers have reported "upgrades" at the pier while checking in. I'm guess these are failed up-sell attempts.

I've only been upgraded once on HAL it was before the cruise not on the pier and it truly was an upgrade form a SB to an SY, not just the same cabin class in a different location. I have probably purchased 6-7 Upsells.

-Paul

Most Upsell offers don't start until 3 weeks before sailing and go right up to the day before if not enough people have accepted the offers. Some lucky cruisers have reported "upgrades" at the pier while checking in. I'm guess these are failed up-sell attempts.

I've only been upgraded once on HAL it was before the cruise not on the pier and it truly was an upgrade form a SB to an SY, not just the same cabin class in a different location. I have probably purchased 6-7 Upsells.

-Paul

Paul, I think you meant you were upgraded from an SY(Signature Suite) to a SB(Neptune Suite).

It seems hat most upsells start about 3-4 weeks prior to sailing. On my recent cruise, no upsell offers were received by me until 5 days prior to sailing and that was only for one Neptune cabin. The Vista and Neptune cabins had been sold out for months, so I figure it must have been a late cancellation.

I would have your TA contact HAL to see what the pricing would be to upgrade. We did on the Noordam cruise following yours and were offered a VERY good price to go from our booked VB balcony to a Neptune guarantee. Obviously the cabin location is unknown at this time but being able to have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill and the free laundry made it worth it to us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just an update. I contacted TA, they had no offers from HAL, told me to stay put, would forward any offer to me as soon as they get it. None came, and we are 23 days to sailing. Meanwhile out of 15 NA cabins showing through dummy bookings yesterday NONE is available today. Well, HAL must have assigned their guarantees. Now the most we can be offered is a Signature Suite. There are many of Signatures left, but most are on a starboard side. We are going to Glacier Bay and are currently booked in a port side balcony, decent location, by front elevators. The difference in price between our cabin and Signature Suite is not that much at this point. I can call to do paid upgrade, but can't decide if it is worth it. No suite perks. Is there really a tangible difference between Balcony cabin and Signature Suite? Last time when on Oosterdam we took upsell from balcony to Neptune. At that time Neptunes were just updated with modern decor, new bathrooms while other cabins didn't undergo any changes during dry dock. On Noordam there are no updates, so difference is the size mostly, especially between Balconies and Signatures, I assume. Just thinking out loud, putting it out there if anyone wants to chime in:).

JMO -- but your TA should have called HAL and asked about upsells.

I agree, but they are not really " my TA" in true sense of the word. Just some company who put big promo for HAL AK cruises through travelzoo. My expectations of them are zero. I could have asked them to call but wanted to wait and see if HAL would come around with so many Neptune Suites showing available for booking. Like another poster said above, I thought if it came from HAL it would be a better deal then me asking HAL for their offers. Plus, I was always a little ambiguous about paying close to a $1000 (I figured $650-700 if we lucky) for upgrade to a room that wasn't refurbished. I agree with you if it was a personal TA with whom I have any business relationship I would absolutely expect them to call.

Upsells don't always come to everyone and dummy bookings don't tell the story.

There could be a lot of guarantees for those categories which would be instantly filled once enough booked.

Always book the cabin you will be happy with and if an upsell happens and you like the price, it's a bonus.

Upsells don't always come to everyone and dummy bookings don't tell the story.

There could be a lot of guarantees for those categories which would be instantly filled once enough booked.

Always book the cabin you will be happy with and if an upsell happens and you like the price, it's a bonus.

Yes, all true and that's what I did, booked the cabin I found to be the best one available in the price range. At the time of my booking all balcony cabins, VF to VA, were the same price on that particular promotion. I chose VC balcony as close to mid ship as possible on the 6 th floor, port side, as midship is our preference. Exactly as you said, I was looking at upsell as a bonus. That didn't happen, so now I am trying to figure out if we should upgrade to Signature Suite.:)

Yes, all true and that's what I did, booked the cabin I found to be the best one available in the price range. At the time of my booking all balcony cabins, VF to VA, were the same price on that particular promotion. I chose VC balcony as close to mid ship as possible on the 6 th floor, port side, as midship is our preference. Exactly as you said, I was looking at upsell as a bonus. That didn't happen, so now I am trying to figure out if we should upgrade to Signature Suite.:)

What is the price to upgrade to SS?

Deleted.

What is the price to upgrade to SS?

SS is expensive, the difference between what I paid for VC and SS now is $465 per person. To upgrade to SY is $395 per person. There is also SZ and the difference there is only $112 per person. All prices are for first and second passenger in a room. Now, this are listed price difference if I just went ahead and was booking a new booking. The price may be better if we call for paid upgrade.

SS is expensive, the difference between what I paid for VC and SS now is $465 per person. To upgrade to SY is $395 per person. There is also SZ and the difference there is only $112 per person. All prices are for first and second passenger in a room. Now, this are listed price difference if I just went ahead and was booking a new booking. The price may be better if we call for paid upgrade.

It is certainly worth inquiring especially at the SZ rate.

We paid a lot last year for a paid upgrade but enjoyed the extra space. We were surprised that the Noordam had not been updated. So if you can get it for a reasonable price it might be worth it. You could also ask if the upgrade qualifies for the double points as upsells do not.

I don’t think the side of the ship matter so on this itinerary. We had stunning views all along the way.

We paid a lot last year for a paid upgrade but enjoyed the extra space. We were surprised that the Noordam had not been updated. So if you can get it for a reasonable price it might be worth it. You could also ask if the upgrade qualifies for the double points as upsells do not.

I don’t think the side of the ship matter so on this itinerary. We had stunning views all along the way.

Thank you for responding. I thought port side is important for Glacier Bay viewing if we stay in a cabin for part of this day.

The captain turns the ship very slowly so all get a great view. I also think you need to see the views from many spots, crows nest and the open decks. And try the pea soup. Magical. I wish you a sunny day!

Thank you:). Will call TA again today to contact HAL for upgrade.