Purchase insurance for Cuba Cruise but already booked

Hi-

So I turned down the insurance offer when I booked the The Cuba Immersion on the Empress of the Seas sailing 09-15-18. Then after booking I thought "Jebus that's at the height of Hurricane season sailing from Miami to Cuba!" Now trying to shop the 3rd party vendor from my TA and it seems I would have to proverbially jump through several red tape hopes to prove I'm legally traveling to Cuba and I work for the government so I know what it might turn into.

Basically I'm just concerned about a weather cancellation/delay and if it's a full blown Hurricane in South Florida or Cuba I'm assuming RCI is safe and prudent and gives you credit toward a future cruise. We are middle age and in good health and never had to cancel a cruise (been on 14 so far) even the one I took 2 weeks after total knee replacement surgery.

Advice please,

Paul

Your assumption is wrong.

Cruise lines RARELY cancel a cruise due to a hurricane. They may divert away from the storm, they may end a day early or a day late to get around the storm, but they will not cancel and give you a refund (almost never)

Even if you have insurance, the only hurricane related coverage is if your primary residence is uninhabitable or you may get some Trip Delay or Trip Interruption coverage. And those are only provided if you catch up to the ship or the delay causes you to miss more than 50% of your cruise.

Your assumption is wrong.

Cruise lines RARELY cancel a cruise due to a hurricane. They may divert away from the storm, they may end a day early or a day late to get around the storm, but they will not cancel and give you a refund (almost never)

Even if you have insurance, the only hurricane related coverage is if your primary residence is uninhabitable or you may get some Trip Delay or Trip Interruption coverage. And those are only provided if you catch up to the ship or the delay causes you to miss more than 50% of your cruise.

If the ship can't get to the departure port cruise line will refund full cost of cruise plus some expenses (varies). You don't need insurance for this. When Allure didn't get in on 9/7 and finally made it in on 9/10 the offer was full cancellation as future credit and for those who sailed on the four-day shortened cruise you got 50% back as OBC plus another 50% back as a future cruise credit. Not sure if folks getting in late got anything for airline changes, though. And rental cars were virtually impossible to get on 9/10. Had a family of six trying to squeeze into a compact with luggage.