10 Days Eastern Caribbean Voyager - Crown Princess - Patters Anybody? What To Prep?

Ronnietryagain

Hi, I've booked for Feb 5 2019 and wanted to try to plan a little. I have been on 3 other cruises, good, each different, fun, but tagged along while somebody else planned.

Throwing a wide net asking for anything you feel like sharing, really.

I was hoping for an tidbits you could provide on the stops - go with cruise excursions or is there something you tried and enjoyed with less crowds? skip any of the ports,and why? anything helpful to know about this ship? any recommendations for things like - definitely get a spa pass or a dinner upgrade or?

Anybody have any recent (2018?) Patters for this Eastern Caribbean they could share? I've not yet located anything for this itinerary.

Heck, any recommendations on airfare or hotel, if needed?

TUES Feb 05, 2019 Ft.Lauderdale, Florida Depart 4:00pm

Feb 06, 2019 ATSEA

Feb 07, 2019 ATSEA

Feb 08, 2019 Antigua Arrive 7:00am Depart 4:00pm

Feb 09, 2019 Barbados Arrive 9:00am Depart 6:00pm

Feb 10, 2019 St.Lucia Arrive 7:00am Depart4:00pm

Feb 11, 2019 St.Kitts Arrive 9:00am Depart 6:00pm

Feb 12, 2019 St.Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands Arrive7:00am Depart 4:00pm

Feb 13, 2019 ATSEA

Feb 14, 2019 PrincessCays, Bahamas Arrive 9:00am Depart 4:00pm

FRI Feb 15, 2019 Ft.Lauderdale, Florida 7am

Thanks!!!:D:Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

I believe this is a new itinerary for The Crown, so you won't find patters. I took this itinerary on the Royal Princess in March. It's a fun itinerary. Check the ports of call boards to find out more about excursions you might like and other information. Antigua was a little aggressive for me when I went there, being a solo female traveler in her 20s, but when I went with friends it wasn't as bad. I think it also has to do with the time you get off the ship. I definitely wouldn't skip any islands, maybe Princess Cay if you wanted an on board day. I'm thinking about booking the cruise right before this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Following this thread... I just booked this cruise for Jan 16. Hoping someone has more info on the Crown / Patters. I took this cruise a few years ago on the Royal and it was a lot of fun. Now the fun part of trying to decide what to do on each island... we have St Thomas and Antigua figured out, but looking for suggestions for the other islands.

Hi, I've booked for Feb 5 2019 and wanted to try to plan a little. I have been on 3 other cruises, good, each different, fun, but tagged along while somebody else planned.

Throwing a wide net asking for anything you feel like sharing, really.

I was hoping for an tidbits you could provide on the stops - go with cruise excursions or is there something you tried and enjoyed with less crowds? skip any of the ports,and why? anything helpful to know about this ship? any recommendations for things like - definitely get a spa pass or a dinner upgrade or?

Anybody have any recent (2018?) Patters for this Eastern Caribbean they could share? I've not yet located anything for this itinerary.

Feb 06, 2019 ATSEA

Feb 07, 2019 ATSEA

Feb 08, 2019 Antigua Arrive 7:00am Depart 4:00pm

Feb 13, 2019 ATSEA

Thanks!!!:D:D:D

If you are flying in the day before and want to stay by the Ft Lauderdale beaches, we stayed at the Westin Ft Lauderdale Beach and it was a comfortable place to stay. We had a nice dinner at the Casablanca Cafe which was within walking distance about a block away. We did this same cruise a few years ago and did a mix of ship excursions and outside vendors. What types of activities are you looking for? Our absolute favorite thing we did on the cruise was spend the day at Jacqui O’s in Antigua... it was the perfect day at the beach and we avoided the crowds. You can reserve a large round daybed and make a lunch reservation by sending them a message on their Facebook page. Be aware that on all of these islands, if you decide to get a cab to the beach, these drivers have deals worked out with the vendors at the beaches so they will take you to where they get paid by the vendor. Do your research and make sure you go to the beach you want to go to as some are definitely better than others.

If you are flying in from the north I would suggest at least one day early, better two days if you can. You would have to allow for snow or other winter weather delays. If from the south at least one day early.

Hotels, any hotel on SE 17th St. is good. Close to the pier, restaurants, pre-cruise stores, and easy transportation to the beach area.

Join your roll call. As it gets closer the roll call will get more active and there may be tours planned. Here is the link: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2621991

Feb 06, 2019 ATSEA

Feb 07, 2019 ATSEA

Feb 08, 2019 Antigua Arrive 7:00am Depart 4:00pm -

Nice shopping area right off the pier. Lots of beaches. Trips to Nelson' Dock Yard are popular.

Great place for a catamaran excursion. Silver Moon Charters have a very nice one with limited passengers.

Lots of tours that visit botanical gardens, the walk in volcano, old sugar plantations. There are some nice boat tours to the beach area at the foot of the volcano.

There is a cruise port mall right at the pier.

Shopping, shopping, shopping right at the Havensight pier and also downtown. Also beaches like Megan's Bay. There are taxi's that will take you anyplace on the island.

Feb 13, 2019 ATSEA

This is a beach day and a tender port. Arrive at the tender ticket area early so you can be one of the first on the beach. Bring beach/water shoes, lots of coral getting into the water. Lunch is provided at the beach. Drinks are sold at the bar and by waiters. All transactions are by cruise card. There is a small local market adjacent to the beach. If you want to go there make sure you bring gov't issued ID and cash. You will find many long time cruisers stay on board at Princess Cays. But if this is your first trip there, it's nice to experience it.

Thanks!!!:D:D:D

See above

We're doing a 10 day cruise on Crown Princess in November that is similar to this one with just a few different islands for ports. In Ft Lauderdale, we always stay at one of the hotels on 17th Street Causeway, near Terminal 2 where Princess usually docks (usually!!!). Those hotels fill up fast with cruise passengers so make a reservation asap. We're staying at Extended Stay this time since the Holiday Inn, Embassy Suites, Hilton and Pier 66 were booked solid. There are lots of hotels around Pt Everglades, the airport and downtown Ft Lauderdale. We stay for just 1 night prior to the cruise since we used to live in Miami and aren't interested in sightseeing. We usually have dinner at Carrabba's on 17th Street, just a short walk from the hotels but there are many restaurants in the area.

On the ship, make a reservation for at least 1 night at the Crown Grille. Pricey at $29 per person but what the heck, you're on vacation. We eat at the MDR or Horizon buffet all other nights. If you want some quiet time, go to the Sanctuary when you board and reserve a lounger for a day.

As far as the islands go, the reason we're going on this itinerary in November is because there are 4 islands we've never been to even though I've been on 34 previous cruises (not all on Princess!). We love St Thomas. There is plenty of shopping right off the ship at Havensight pier and 'downtown' but the views from the 'top' of the island are amazing. Book an island tour on the ship to get an idea of the layout of St Thomas. Take the Skyride, just outside the port, for an amazing view of the ships and the neighboring islands. We haven't been to the other islands which is why we're going on this cruise. We booked all our excursions thru Princess. If you're not into sitting on the beach at Princess Cay, take the shore excursion around the island. We thought it was worth the price. I always look for excursions that give me the most scenery around each island as I'm a camera buff and like to take lots of photos of each port.

Most important, have a relaxing, interesting and informative vacation and don't sweat the small stuff. We don't let anything bother us and call every cruise an adventure in travelling and seeing the world.

If you are flying in the day before and want to stay by the Ft Lauderdale beaches, we stayed at the Westin Ft Lauderdale Beach and it was a comfortable place to stay. We had a nice dinner at the Casablanca Cafe which was within walking distance about a block away. We did this same cruise a few years ago and did a mix of ship excursions and outside vendors. What types of activities are you looking for? Our absolute favorite thing we did on the cruise was spend the day at Jacqui O’s in Antigua... it was the perfect day at the beach and we avoided the crowds. You can reserve a large round daybed and make a lunch reservation by sending them a message on their Facebook page. Be aware that on all of these islands, if you decide to get a cab to the beach, these drivers have deals worked out with the vendors at the beaches so they will take you to where they get paid by the vendor. Do your research and make sure you go to the beach you want to go to as some are definitely better than others.

Thanks for the heads up. Jacqi Os sounds like an option. Less crowded is nice.

I believe this is a new itinerary for The Crown, so you won't find patters. I took this itinerary on the Royal Princess in March. It's a fun itinerary. Check the ports of call boards to find out more about excursions you might like and other information. Antigua was a little aggressive for me when I went there, being a solo female traveler in her 20s, but when I went with friends it wasn't as bad. I think it also has to do with the time you get off the ship. I definitely wouldn't skip any islands, maybe Princess Cay if you wanted an on board day. I'm thinking about booking the cruise right before this one.

Silly question I'm thinking, but what makes it different if same itinerary? I haven't searched out the two ships to see if its size, but is it size / newness? I need to really figure out the stops. I did skip Jamaica on my last cruise, went back n forth on that, and after talking to folks who got off and came right back, think it was a bit aggressive so that isn't fun.

Following this thread... I just booked this cruise for Jan 16. Hoping someone has more info on the Crown / Patters. I took this cruise a few years ago on the Royal and it was a lot of fun. Now the fun part of trying to decide what to do on each island... we have St Thomas and Antigua figured out, but looking for suggestions for the other islands.

:D:Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677Cool. That means you can send me the patters right before I go :-) :-) :-)

When we went to Antigua 3 years ago someone on our Roll Call organized a tour for 10 of us with Voyages Antigua Tours. It was very nice, included a beach stop.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

I wasn't familiar with Roll Call and looked it up here. Think that will be fun to join, great idea.

See above

thank you much for the response. I'm trying to remember if I visited the private island on the prior cruise. My sister rented a cabana and that was a nice way to spend the day. But if I'm beaching it the prior week, you are right, a day on the boat could be the way to go.

Silly question I'm thinking, but what makes it different if same itinerary? I haven't searched out the two ships to see if its size, but is it size / newness? I need to really figure out the stops. I did skip Jamaica on my last cruise, went back n forth on that, and after talking to folks who got off and came right back, think it was a bit aggressive so that isn't fun.

There are differences in the ships. The newer ships are larger. When doing the B2B from Crown to Regal it felt more spacious immediately upon boarding. The newer ships have a way better buffet and room service menu compared to Crown. They also have bigger TVs with on demand. The Enclave in the spa is also better. The ships also vary in entertainment. The Crown has a nice aft pool and better outdoor promenade deck. The onboard experience doesn't mean that much to me though I'm more into the itineraries.

I did Jamaica earlier this year and didn't have that experience. It just all depends on what you choose to do. I typically do catamarans in Barbados with unlimited alcohol, food, and snorkeling. I got lucky this past March and also got to see whales migrating with their babies. In St Lucia I do Spencer's speedboat to Sugar beach with alcohol and snorkeling. I would like to do the Piton hike. In St Thomas I like to take the ferry to St John and go to the beaches. In Antigua the best thing I have done is go to Jolly Beach. I also enjoyed the VIP lobster catamaran through Princess. St Kitts I haven't really found anything I really loved doing. I did like going to the fort. Hope that helps you. Definitely check out the ports of call board to find stuff you might like.

Edited by Crystal04
Forgot something

We've been to all of these islands. In Antigua, we took a kayak/snorkeling excursion that was a lot of fun. I booked it independently. In Barbados, we took a good snorkeling excursion that included seeing sea turtles. In St. Lucia, we took an excursion to the drive-through volcano. It was a nice way to see the island. Our first time in St. Kitts, we just walked around town. It was during the holiday season, so we got to see the Christmas sports taking place in the streets. We've been to St. Thomas probably a dozen times. The snorkeling excursions we've done there have all been good. We also enjoyed going to St. John on our own (but I wouldn't do that with a 4 p.m. departure). We walked to Emerald Beach, but that was when Princess ships docked at Crown Bay.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • We're back from our cruise over the Thanksgiving holiday with the itinerary very similar to the OP's.  We loved the cruise overall.  Crown Princess is a good ship - not much to complain about (sorry cruise CRITICS).  Food was great.  Lobster in the Crown Grille was huge!  They served lobster in the MDR's same night as our Crown Grille res, can you believe it?  I had crème brulee for desert each night - to die for!  We had a balcony cabin on Caribe deck 10 - the balcony was almost as big as our cabin! Loved it as half was under the balcony on the deck above and half was out in the sun.  
  • I loved the shore excursion on Barbados.  We went on a photography tour with local Ronnie Carrington and even though it rained most of the time, it was an excellent and meaningful day.  We also really liked the train ride on St Kitts.  Very informative.  We took Princess excursions in each port and had no complaints - except for Grand Turk but your cruise isn't stopping there so no worries.  Our 'tour' was cancelled on Grand Turk because of mechanical problems with the Rainbow train.  Seems to be happening quite often from what I read.  All in all, it was a wonderful cruise, even though we had to wait in the terminal for several hours with all 3000 plus other passengers while the Coast Guard inspected the ship.  No ones fault, we'd gotten an email from Princess advising us not to arrive too early.  We're going back on the Crown Princess next May for the British Isles cruise and I'm pleased we'll be on the same ship.  I have Patters from this past trip but I can't possibly scan and post 4 pages from all 10 Patters, sorry.  I'd be happy to answer specific questions if I'm able to.  I won't pretend to have an answer to something we didn't try or do.  

We are also on this Feb 5th cruise on Crown, pretty much newbies to the Caribbean, although I had been to St Thomas and the BVI's many, many years ago, in the mid 70's. We did a partial Panama Canal transit a few years back, but no experience with the islands. So we will be following this post also. 

• 1 month later...