Can you get off the ship in San Juan once you boarded but not yet sailed?

CACruiseLady

We are booked on the Carnival Fascination for this month and I was wondering if you could check into the ship and board, eat and then get off and spend a few hours in Old Town San Juan and then get back on before the ship left. We have a 1pm check in time and the ship sails at 10pm and we wanted to spend the afternoon in town, not on the ship. Does Carnival allow you to get on/off/on in Puerto Rico before sailing? I called them yesterday and the agent didn't know.

Please keep in mind while this is true for Carnival it is not true for all cruise lines, so make sure to check with your specific cruise line. We did a cruise from SJU onboard an NCL ship this past January and were not allowed to leave once we had checked in.

We got off one time in San Juan after embarkation as the ship didn't leave port until 10pm to start the cruise. We had lunch at Hard Rock and walked around. However, I don't recall which cruise line we were on and it was a long time ago, before 9/11.

1 bottle pp. of wine.

Per trip. :) There's a CVS and a Walgreen's just across the street and a couple blocks West of the terminal.

[edit] If you're looking for some good drinks, views, and local food, I strongly suggest Punto de Vista Rooftop Restaurant. It's a little bit of a walk, probably 5 blocks North and uphill the whole way, but that mofongo is so good!

• 2 weeks later...

Let's say you brought 1 bottle of wine with you when you checked in. Then you decide after lunch to exit the ship and check out San Juan some more. When you return to the ship, you have a new bottle of wine in your backpack/purse...will the staff know you already brought one on earlier or can I say this is my 1 freebie?

I've read that in the past you could get away with it when going down some hallway between checkpoints. Would I have a better chance getting a 2nd one on if it was a port in a smaller bottle? :)

Let's say you brought 1 bottle of wine with you when you checked in. Then you decide after lunch to exit the ship and check out San Juan some more. When you return to the ship, you have a new bottle of wine in your backpack/purse...will the staff know you already brought one on earlier or can I say this is my 1 freebie?

I've read that in the past you could get away with it when going down some hallway between checkpoints. Would I have a better chance getting a 2nd one on if it was a port in a smaller bottle? :)

No, the bottle of wine is just at check in, anything else they will take and store. I would throw an extra bottle in your checked bag. Pretty good chance it makes it, but make sure its a bottle you wouldnt mind losing. Happy cruising!

We did. Got off and back on several times. The port has a wine shop. We ended up with a case of wine for 5 people.

You can certainly get off and buy more wine (and or sodas) and re-board. We take my husbands back pack and put the wine in it and just carry the soda cans. There are many stores that sell wine and anything you may have forgotten near the pier. You can get off numerous time if you please.

Yes! I have done that itinerary twice and got off the ship after initial boarding both times after dropping off carry on luggage, etc in the room. There is a drug store right down the street to pick up wine/soda and snacks, as well as any forgotten items.

It is also great to explore Old San Juan. Enjoy some mofongo or mallorcas and kick your cruise off with an awesome day!