Formal nights-first timer, can I bring my family?

scarlett81

Celeb 11 day Med cruise in May-

For my parents 50th annviersary, no doubt we we'll be participating in at least one formal night. Thing is we have our 2 little ones, 5 yo daughter and 1 yo son.

I am SO hoping I can bring a mini tux for him and lovely gown for her!...? Are we allowed to bring well behaved little ones?

And, please explain to this dumb first timer, what exactly IS the formal night, besides dressing up? Are there special foods served? Dancing?

Is there anywhere that my Dad will be able to share a dance with his little granddaughter?

Formal night is just dinner in the regular dining room, but people are dressed up (and they mostly serve fancier foods). There will be other places around with music of various types, but not likely to have dancing in the dining room - just no space for it.

Definitely bring the kids if they can sit through dinner - most ships will have photographers around too, and that's a great chance for a family picture. If you have to, you can take the little guy out for a walk between appetizer & entree. Mine had their first cruise at 4 & 6yo and they loved formal night - fancy party dress, getting their hair "done" with sparkly barrettes (now my 9yo will do both of theirs and probably mine).

Of COURSEE you bring your entire family! Yes, you are supposed to "dress up" a bit, but it's not "hoity toity" or anything!!!

A party dress for your young daughter is more than appropriate....gowns on little children aren't needed!

The dinner will be just like every other dinner, but with more folks dressed nicely...that's the only difference!

Ok, haha! you can see I have no clue what I'm talking about. What anout dancing with the litte ones? Are there restrictions to bringing our lo's to that area for a bit?

I do not know about the ship you are on. But Princess has dance venues, And young kids dance with their family. Shoot saw their piano player do a whole set to a young young girl named Gigi who was dancing with her mom. It was so cute.

The dancing really depends on the ship. On NCL's Epic they had dancing during dinner on most nights with a live band and singer. You could ask this question over on the Celebrity Board; there would be people who might know the answer for your specific ship.

One of the higlights for every cruise. The boys including me always a challenge to get dressed up, but the girls always seem to enjoy it!

Take pictures, lots of them as when you look bad they will be special!

I'm not sure about the dancing bit with kids, but as long as it's a one time thing and the kids aren't jumping around and using the dance floor as their playground for the evening, it's OK. From experience, dancers on cruise ships take their dancing VERY seriously and don't take kindly to kids being on the dance floor just playing around. Now, this is not a anti-child thing, but I've seen near disasters on dance floors when parents allow their darlings to run around on the dance floor, thinking they're so very cute. But I've seen enough people trip and fall over kids who should not be on the dance floors at night

Formal nights on Celebrity is when everyone dresses up in their best clothes and enjoy the best food and service of the cruise. Men will be in tuxes or dark suits and the women will be in long gowns, sparkly cocktail dresses or evening pantsuits. It's a very elegant affair. Celebrity is one of the few lines that actually have, and passengers adhere, to formal night dress codes. It's really quite special. Most other lines have pretty much done away with formal nights and have either elegant casual nights or wear whatever you want nights. I will say that more than 90% of Celebrity's passengers will participate in formal nights.

As for taking them to dinner, of course you can. And, make sure to get a formal portrait taken of the entire family. It's a great keepsake.

Celeb 11 day Med cruise in May-

For my parents 50th annviersary, no doubt we we'll be participating in at least one formal night. Thing is we have our 2 little ones, 5 yo daughter and 1 yo son.

I am SO hoping I can bring a mini tux for him and lovely gown for her!...? Are we allowed to bring well behaved little ones?

And, please explain to this dumb first timer, what exactly IS the formal night, besides dressing up? Are there special foods served? Dancing?

Is there anywhere that my Dad will be able to share a dance with his little granddaughter?

Enjoy dressing your little ones up for your special occasion! My children learned early on and love to get dressed up. The answer to your question is of course little ones are welcome in the MDR. Also, consult your daily planner for venues with dancing and your Dad and darling baby girl will surely be able to share a special dance! Sounds like you are going to have an amazing time!

Archived