From X to Cunard and back to X

Germancruiser

Well it has been a while but I thought to write a review anyway! It was all about two weeks of relaxation and getting spoiled from the great “ White Star Service” as Cunard calls their Service rules.

This cruise took place December 2013 ! From Southampton to Southampton! Canary Islands!

Pre Cruise stay:

Prior the cruise I stayed three night in The Goring, London- Belgravia!

Now THAT was an experience in itself- dear me! It is a very small Hotel, compared to the other Hotel chains!! Still family owned and it still bears the name of that family- Goring!

After an hour everybody know ones name, how they do that I have no idea!

The ideal spot for people watching, which I love, was the Lounge, Bar and Tearoom.

Very elegant but a bit over the top- anyway I enjoyed every minute of it- and would go there in a heartbeat!

For example I ordered my usual tea, the first cup was poured from the white gloved waiter. When this delicious cup went down nicely and I was about to pour my next cup- out of the blue or somewhere a waiter appeared ( in white gloves – of course) and took the teapot out of my hand and said that is his job to do. Dear me, heaven and hell!

When my sandwich arrived- I was hungry as usual- I waited and waited – that some waiter may appear ( in white gloves- of course) to hold the sandwich whilst I bite on it.

Well he seems to have been busy- I went through the ordeal of eating it with my own ungloved hands. That just won´t do- and a complain letter is already on it´s way. LOL! ( THAT was a joke of course…)

The Goring is very close to almost everything weather by bus, cab or in walking distance- depends how much “ walk “ one can take!

Ground- Transportation:

Then the time came for Cunard to take me from the Goring to Southampton- I expected a bus with fellow cruisers, who were taken on at the airport. No such thing!

A nice limousine was waiting in front of the Hotel – the driver already waiting for me to leave the Hotel. I was nicely seated in the back, two bottles water next to me – well that’s a way to go Cunard I thought. The bus would have suited me perfect – but I won´t complain about this nice , fast and very “ posh” transportation to Southampton!

Embarkation in the Queen Elisabeth Terminal in Southampton was also quick and painless- worked like a charm – very, very well done Cunard!

The Queen Mary 2, the Service , the Style and the “ Royal Show” :

The cruise itself was great, the ship , well, QM2 is not to compare with any other ship, she is unique- VERY VERY BRITISH!

As I like it! ( oh well that sounds almost like a Shakespeare Play)

Even though I sailed her before I forgot how big “ Proud Mary “ really is- quite a walk from there to there- which is good, helps burn calories.

What I love is that wonderful real teak outdoor promenade which wraps around the whole ship with wonderful views out to the sea. There are no Rock Climbing walls, no ice rings and so such things. Gives one the real ocean liner feeling.

In the Service and food compartment Cunard is to compare with Celebrity- in some ways Celebrity shines, in some Cunard!

What I found a bit too much or in this case “ overboard” were the many formal nights- five all in all in ten days. THAT IS – even for me ( I have no problem with dressing up – still…) a bit too much!

Informal means , Jacket required , tie optional . We had a simple ( well as “ simple “ as Cunard goes..) Gala, then a black and white ball, a fancy dress ball, Royal Ascot ball- that´s how they called or themed their formal affairs! The Royal Ascot Ball was something not to be missed- many Ladies with a hut in the Dinning room and afterwards in the Queens Room. They made a “ Lady with hut parade” the one with the best hut won a bottle of bubbly ! That´s what I called “ The Show” – so much fun to watch- and all served with this great British Humor!

The Destinations :

The Canary Islands were great ( Madeira and Tenerife were my favorites) - but almost in the way- and I thing they experiences there were all over these boards often anyway! For me the ship is much more the destination than the port of calls!

The post cruise experience:

The Debarkation went as well the beginning- so only praise for Cunard here as well! The drive from Southampton to London Heathrow – well that was the bus then, but as soon as I sat down I fell asleep anyway- happens always with me in buses – I don´t know why! Went as well as could be! Fast and efficient!

Final Thoughts:

All in all a very recommendable cruise experience and a very very recommendable Ship! If Cunard would get the right deals for both solo cruises and couples I would exclusively sail Cunard- but their prices are sometimes a bit over the top- in other words you get more days at sea or more time on board for the price you pay on the other mass market cruise lines! Preferably HAL or X – which are also mass market- of course , but more in the premium segment, with little touches other cruise lines have long forgotten or fell victim to the all too obvious cost cuts.

Can't disagree with much you say. We alternate between X and Cunard and there's very little in terms of preferences.

I'm pleased you had a good disembarkation, we've always had a much better experience with X, who are either better organised or else have fewer pax with their elbows out wanting to ignore the plan.

Thanks to the poster for the review of his QM2 cruise.I recently had the pleasure of a

QM2 crossing and cruise on Queen Victoria. The Cunard product is excellent albiet somewhat different than Celebrity.

I have exclusivelly patronized Celebrity since 1992. No longer. In fact there were many Celebrity patrons on both sailings. There was general agreement that Celebrity had a slight edge in food but that was it. Cunard is more formal, social with a higher level of emphasis on learning through excellent lectures.

One thing struck me was the total lack of emphasis on class segmentation on

Cunard other than the lounge and dining room for grill passengers. it was not in your face nor talked about.

Versus Celebrity where class distinction has frankly taken over the line. The lack of class distinction class is a key reason that Cunard will be acquiring more business from my household.

Very appreciative there are choices available.

ABoatnerd

Can't agree more. Having sailed almost exclusively on Celebrity before, we tried Cunard this year and very much liked the product, even if the food was better in the MDR and we missed the ready smiles of the Celebrity crew. It was quite a bit more formal but still acceptable.

Wow! Sounds like you were treated like royalty from beginning to end.

Have to ask, what is a hut, you said ladies with a hut? I was thinking hat, but English is a little different across the pond sometimes! If it is hats, were they fascinators, if so I would probably go on Cunard just to see them....I love fascinators, which they wore them over here.

One thing struck me was the total lack of emphasis on class segmentation on

Cunard other than the lounge and dining room for grill passengers. it was not in your face nor talked about........

Ssshh! You're contradicting the prejudices of a lot of people who "would never sail Cunard".

oh dear- thank you Ma Bell- for clearing that- yes of course- hut means hat- my first language got hold over me. LOL!

Oh no it was not Grill Class- it was a regular balcony cabin- in the hull - nothing fancy- okay the Hotel was- but the cruise was " simple" Britania Class!

I agree I really was treated like royality. A very special cruise! I met such great people also- mostly from England! Soooo interessting to meet new people from different country´s !

Germancruiser, thanks for clarifying that a hut is actually a hat and not a building as we call hut over here LOL!

I also love meeting new people from different countries. On one of my Celebrity cruises, our dinner table consisted of folks from England, Scotland, Ireland and two of us from the United States. It was so much fun!

Edited by NLH Arizona

We really enjoyed the QM2, and now we are tempted to do another voyage. The only issue would be the smoking.

Re the Ascot Ball…..I won the hat competition! Thanks to Cruise Critic I knew in advance about it, and made my "Sail Away Facinator" here at home. Prize was a lovely leather album and bottle of champagne.

The library is outstanding, food comparable to X.

If we do book another cruise on Cunard, we would like the Princess Grill, just for space. But, getting dressed up every night for dinner would not be to our liking. (tux or suit for DH).

Edited by gracecarmo

We really enjoyed the QM2, and now we are tempted to do another voyage. The only issue would be the smoking.

Re the Ascot Ball…..I won the hat competition! Thanks to Cruise Critic I knew in advance about it, and made my "Sail Away Facinator" here at home. Prize was a lovely leather album and bottle of champagne.

The library is outstanding, food comparable to X.

Do you happen to have a picture of your winning facinator?

No picture. I can tell you about it...I found a small vintage hat made of black fabric about the size of a small salad plate. I glued several little half wine bottles along with streamers, noisemakers, and festive cocktail napkins to fill spaces. It took a lot of space in my suitcase so I left it there on the ship.

All stuff except the small wine bottles bought from dollar store.

No picture. I can tell you about it...I found a small vintage hat made of black fabric about the size of a small salad plate. I glued several little half wine bottles along with streamers, noisemakers, and festive cocktail napkins to fill spaces. It took a lot of space in my suitcase so I left it there on the ship.

All stuff except the small wine bottles bought from dollar store.

Sounds very cute and a whole lot of fun.

Germancruiser, thanks for clarifying that a hut is actually a hat and not a building as we call hut over here LOL!

I also love meeting new people from different countries. On one of my Celebrity cruises, our dinner table consisted of folks from England, Scotland, Ireland and two of us from the United States. It was so much fun!

Wow - that's an international crowd!! ;)

But - to be honest - it really is one of the reasons why we prefer non-German cruise lines, i.e. the chance to meet different people from lots of different countries!

Queen's Grill is the highest classification of room accommodations, a lovely suite. You eat in a separate dining room, and get dressed formal when eating there.

Nope, that's not quite the case.

Queens Grill is pretty much the way that RS and PH categories on X are going to end up. There is a separate, dedicated restaurant with no fixed times but your own table for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Food is 5* and they will cheerfully cook up a lobster, steak tatare or cherries jubilee beside your table. Or anthing else you fancy.

But dress code is exactly the same as any other restuarant on board - penguin suit on formal nights, jacket and tie or jacket only on other nights.

Many people abhore the ridiculous Cunard class system. Invariably, these are people who have either never set foot on a Cuanrd ship or else draw their views about life, the universe and everything from the massive chip on their shoulder.

We did two cruises on the Queen Victoria a year ago, one a TA and the other a 12 night Mediterranean. We were not sure we would like Cunard. Actually found our TA outstanding, we have a balcony cabin, which was very nice, MDR food and service were excellent far exceeded expectations and our experience on X, Princess, HAL... entertainment was the tops as well. Would not hestiate going on Cunard again for the right itinerary. We are elite on Princess and Celebrity, 2 star on HAL.

The traditional feel of Cunard was a welcome experience... it was enjoyable to see folks dress well for dinner every night, the formal nights and the music and dancing in the main ballroom very enjoyable.

We had no problem ordering off menu every night in the MDR on Cunard, which we do routinely on Princess and HAL. On X we skip the MDR because ordering off menu is really hit and miss at best.

We did not see any class distinction on Cunard.