German Waterways

Does anybody have cruise experience of Flensburg, Travemunde, Hamburg and Bremen ?

Looking for information such as proximity of berthing location to these cities - shuttle bus, or accessible on foot ?

Hop on, hop off bus tours or similar ?

Etc., etc.

We have sailed into Hamburg several times and while most lines provide a shuttle bus it is actually just a pleasant 20-30 strole into the main town centre.

It is a lovely port for DIY. There are some really wonderful shops, the main town hall is pretty and you can independently take several different trips round the area on the water from the centre of town to learn more about the area - with English commentary.

Does anybody have cruise experience of Flensburg, Travemunde, Hamburg and Bremen ?

Looking for information such as proximity of berthing location to these cities - shuttle bus, or accessible on foot ?

Hop on, hop off bus tours or similar ?

Etc., etc.

We have done this cruise twice, an excellent choice.

Flensburg is a shortish walk to the town centre, less than half a mile.

Travemunde, the ship docks in the centre of town.

Hamburg, again about 3/4 of a mile to the town centre, maybe less. However, it will depend where the ship is berthed. Hafen City is the nearest.

Bremen, you will need the shuttle, however, the ship berths almost alongside a huge shopping mall, take your wallet :D

The British night consists of British Fayre in the dining room and a sing a long of National songs in the main entertainment lounge. I always find it good fun. Some people will dress up in Costume

Just received the tickets online - mentions 2 x formal nights and 1 x British night.

Can anybody advise what the latter is ?

When we have been on, lots of people dress in red, White & blue, Union Jack hats, waistcoats, bow ties or Welsh / Scottish dress.

It's usually a fun night :)

Just back from 'German Waterways & Kiel Week' on Black Watch.

In Bremen, there was no shuttle bus provided. We docked about 7km from the city centre, by the shopping mall previously mentioned. Fred recommended we catch the tram into the centre from a stop about ten minutes walk away. Cost 2.75 euros each way. Ticket machine on tram took 5 and 10 Euro notes and gave change. Tram journey about 20 minutes.

In Hamburg we docked at Altona cruise terminal about two miles from centre. A shuttle bus was provided, free if not on Anchor fare, to the Rathaus (town hall) in the centre. Ran every fifteen minutes, but you had to book a departure time in advance and get a ticket a day or two before.

In case anybody is interested in Kiel, we docked within walking distance of town centre and shops.

That sounds a bit cheeky for Breman, 7kms is over 4 miles away. At that distance you would think they would provide a shuttle service.

Yes, we were expecting a shuttle bus. Especially as the map of Bremen in the shore excursions booklet showed a shuttle bus stop! I went and asked at guest services when the daily times made no mention of a shuttle bus and they said the port authorities didn't allow it! There were also no taxis there. Getting the tram must have been a bit daunting for some, I imagine. Fred makes a fuss about being able to dock in Bremen instead of Bremerhaven, but at least they would probably have had a 'Bremen on your own' excursion from there.

In Bremen, there was no shuttle bus provided. We docked about 7km from the city centre, by the shopping mall previously mentioned. Fred recommended we catch the tram into the centre from a stop about ten minutes walk away. Cost 2.75 euros each way. Ticket machine on tram took 5 and 10 Euro notes and gave change. Tram journey about 20 minutes.

Thanks - the Braemar berths at D.Wander Grain Terminal when we reach Bremen - is that the same as your docking ?

Thanks - the Braemar berths at D.Wander Grain Terminal when we reach Bremen - is that the same as your docking ?

Yes, I am pretty certain that is the same. It was definitely a grain terminal.

I felt sorry for anybody who had booked a morning tour planning to stay on in the town and come back to the ship later by shuttle bus as it would have been hard to find the right stop for the right tram in the city centre if you hadn't arrived by tram, if you see what I mean! At least we knew we just wanted the stop across the road from where we got off, and the number (3) of the tram.

Luckily we didn't rush off the ship in the morning or we would have missed the tourist information people who came on. It was about 9.30 when the cruise director announced they were there.They gave out instructions on using the tram, at the shore excursions desk.

Were there any taxis available to go into town / come back to the ship?

I am sure there must have been taxis in the town centre somewhere, though a lot was pedestrianised, with just trams.

There were no taxis waiting at the terminal. The daily times did say that security might be able to call one. Security was just one man at the gate but I suppose he might have done it for you.