Passports -- it is really necessary?

TxDiamondCruiser

Me and my 16 yoa are going on our first cruise soon. We both have drivers licenses and certified birth certificates. Really considering foregoing the expense of passports. Has anyone ever sailed without a passport before? Is this really too risky?

Been there done it.

You will be fine.

You will get the following replies:

But, in an emergency you will not be able to fly home.

If you are on what is referred to as a "closed loop" cruise (you depart from and return to the same U.S. port, such as Miami), then no, you don't need a passport. However, there is a certain element of risk. If, during the course of the cruise, you miss the departure time of your ship, or have to leave part way through the cruise due to an emergency and have to return home, then you would need a passport, since you would have to deal with a Customs agent prior to leaving the country. So is it a necessity? No, but it is highly recommended.

As long as it is a closed loop cruise, meaning leaving from and coming back to the same US port. Also make sure the certified copies of your birth certificate have all the required information on them. Some cruisers have stated that they needed the long form with parents name on them.

Depends on where you're going. Driving to and from Canada works with a birth certificate. Flying in and out of a foreign country requires a passport. If it's a closed-loop cruise to Mexico, however, embarking and disembarking from the same U.S. port, you can get by with a birth certificate. Even then, though, if you need to fly home from a port in a foreign country for emergency reasons, you will need a passport. Everything you need to know is here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

The best thing to do is follow the advice of your cruise line, airline, and country you are visiting.

Personally, in this day and age, I wouldn't travel out of the country without one, and I think it's well worth the expense. At least you know you're prepared for anything.

Driving to and from Canada works with a birth certificate.

Actually, no, it doesn't...

It will work to get you into Canada. It will not work coming home.

"For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. "

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html

We never sail with a passport (Caribbean closed loops!)....your BC and DL will be just fine. In the event of some emergency, you WILL get home...no fear. It may be a bit of a hassle, but none of those countries will allow you to stay...so home you will go.

Actually, no, it doesn't...

It will work to get you into Canada. It will not work coming home.

"For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. "

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html

I stand corrected. Thanks!:)

IMHO I'd spend a few dollars and get the passort, its a seperate and different debate as to you take it with you into port or leave it in the safe :D

Me and my 16 yoa are going on our first cruise soon. We both have drivers licenses and certified birth certificates. Really considering foregoing the expense of passports. Has anyone ever sailed without a passport before? Is this really too risky?

As stated above if you are on a closed loop cruise - you don't need passport. I assume you are and have already checked with your cruise line and know you don't but are interested in people's opinion of risk so here is my opinion....its up to you. My sis and her hubs cruise about once a year - always closed loop - always the Caribbean. She has passport, he doesn't. They never have had any problems. They don't feel the risk of missing the ship or the chance of an emergency is worth it. On the other hand, I never travel without mine. Again. its your preference.

Expense?? I am in Canada and a passport does cost money but not much compared to the cruise itself. If your budget is that tight, I am not sure why you are going on the cruise at all.

Frankly, it is only America citizen who even ponder whether to get a passport or not to travel.

if possible, I'd say to get a passport. If you plan on traveling abroad in the future, you will be one step ahead. I've always renewed my passport, even if I hadn't planned on traveling in the short term. I just like knowing that I can go someplace on a whim :D.

While I agree it isn't NECESSARY to have one, having a passport provides a lot more things than just well.... having a passport in the US!

You said your 16 yr old has a drivers license right now which good. I don't know if they plan on/have a job right now. Know that paperwork when you get a job with your Birth Certificate, SS Card, everything they can get away with you bringing to make sure you are allowed to work? A passport covers it ALL. Your 16 yr old looses their DL's? The passport will count for ID to get them a new one w/o hassle. Your 16 yr old has some talent, and/or loves things like Amazing Race or Survivor? You need to have a passport to even apply to things like those before hand.

At 16 the passport is good for 10 years, just like an adults. In the next 10 years your child might decide they want to study abroad, go on a trip with friends, get married and have a honeymoon out of the country. Also getting it now, makes it A LOT easier to keep renewed for the future.

So while it isn't a do or die thing to have one, having a child with a passport provides a lot more than most people think of for their child :)

Frankly, it is only America citizen who even ponder whether to get a passport or not to travel.

Because we're as independent as hogs on ice and don't like our government telling us what to do:). That and many Americans don't travel internationally. (And how someone manages their budget is their business, too;).)

If someone is going on a cruise for the first time, isn't sure that they will like it and isn't planning any other foreign travel in the foreseeable future then a passport looks like an unnecessary expense. As stated it can be used for other purposes being the ultimate ID, but still. As for the risks, most of the risks are in the control of the passenger- don't take long shore excursions that have a greater risk of running late, arrive at the departure port a day early, when going ashore plan to get back to the ship early, etc.

Certainly all risks can't be completely avoided but the fact is the vast majority of people that cruise on closed loop cruises make it back just fine on the ship they left on. This is a question that each passenger must answer for themselves after realistically analyzing their own travel needs and all of the risks.

As others pointed out it's not as if you will be stuck forever in a foreign country should you have to leave the ship early. But even one night in a foreign hotel will cost more than a passport. You will consider this an emergency, but the bureaucrats processing your emergency passport application will not.

People also literally miss the boat - it happens a lot in Caribbean ports. In that case one would have to fly to the next port or fly home. What can go wrong? The ship can make an emergency early departure with you still on the island.

A 16 year old is considered an adult applicant and therefore the US passport is good for 10 years. Your teen will undoubtedly make some more journeys before he/she turns 26.

Get the passport card if you are on a budget, it is cheaper and smaller than the BOOK, and has all the valid uses and YES, i've used it at airports and have had no problem, TSA prefers it.

Using it as identification at the airport for a domestic flight (where a drivers license works just as well) is one thing, but you can't use the passport card for international air travel, and the only reason a passport book is superior to a birth certificate for a closed loop cruise is because the passport book permits you to take international airline flights should you need to in case of an emergency. A passport card is useless for this purpose...and basically a waste of money for a cruiser.

Get the passport card if you are on a budget,

now why would you purchase this card when a drivers license serves the same purpose?

OP i have sailed 15 times using the birth certificate. No problem.

I have no plans to miss a ship for whatever reasons.

(I paid 135 for a passport and used it once and promptly lost in in another country and never had the problems the posters here post what would happen if I got stranded.)

for your first cruise---use your birth certificate and your drivers license

the 16 year old will need a state issued ID too. (and dont forget a notorized letter from the other parent

Archived