Single Parent's thread

Ajkcruiser

I figure this would be a great way to meet other single parents for further cruises and to share experiences of previous journeys.

We are booked on

Star Nola TA April 21

Empress Baltic May 11

Zenith Venetian Round May 20

Epic Rome TA Oct 16

AJ

Edited by Ajkcruiser

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea AJ,

You are so progressive and thoughtful! I posted on your two year old thread a while back. I am traveling with my 13 year old son, (14 at time of Thanksgiving sailing) with a relatively large group of married couples with kids. My son has certainly enjoyed the Camp Carnival activities in the past but we share a lot of activities together such as the ROPES COURSE (on Departure Day), meals, and some of the shows. He strangely, enough loves BINGO.

This reminds me of past cruise when my son (8 at time) was helping me cover some squares and told me 10 minutes into a game that we had won. I tried to confirm all letters and corresponding letters but he blurted out "BINGO" and our friends chimed in that we had a BINGO. Everyone moaned, like they do, when they are so close to a win. Needless to say, we were one square off, and to this day my friends reference this event (to my chagrin), as when Roy wanted to play "BONGO"!

I started our Carnival Magic thread (Thanksgiving Magic; Nov 24) to see if we can organize some group excursions to mix it up a bit. I love the group that we travel with but sometimes it's just nice to venture into new waters, so to speak. Any other single parents traveling on this itinerary?

We are booked on:

Carnival Magic; November 24, 2013 (Is it November yet?)

-Boomer/ Roy (Single Dad)

Edited by BoomerHouston

• 1 month later...
I figure this would be a great way to meet other single parents for further cruises and to share experiences of previous journeys.

We are booked on

Star Nola TA April 21

Empress Baltic May 11

Epic Rome TA Oct 16

AJ

So AJ,

How was your TA crossing?

Hey Boomer - My daughter and I are taking the same Carnival trip to Honduras, Belize and Cozumel on July 28. We'll be sure to tell you how it went!

MinimeAdventures- Excellent! Please do.

What excursions are you planning? We are definitely doing the CAVE TUBING/ ZIPLINE combo tour in Belize but struggling with a good tour company that will get us back to the ship on time :eek: My worst fear!

We are traveling with a large group of people and looking forward to the break. My son is getting a kick out of missing two days of school to go on a cruise. I keep on telling him to keep this under this hat! I of course will make plans to get his missing homework from his teachers in advance.

Take Care and have fun in July! Thanks again for the preview of the MAGIC in these ports...

-Boomer

I'm heading out on Carnival Ecstasy on May 25th with my "soon to be 11" year old daughter ! This will be my first cruise as a single parent and I have to say, I have never been more excited!!

• 2 months later...
i figure this would be a great way to meet other single parents for further cruises and to share experiences of previous journeys.

We are booked on

star nola ta april 21

empress baltic may 11

zenith venetian round may 20

epic rome ta oct 16

aj

hi aj.. Im from around the toronto area as well. We have been on the disney dream last year and i may we are going on oasis of the sea and im already planning on 2015. Ever go on rcl?

• 2 weeks later...
I will be sailing on Navigator of the Seas March 30, 2014 with my 18 year old daughter. Any other single parents making this sail date? This is out of Galveston :)

Wow, KOOLBEANS....I will be getting off 2 wks before you get on. Have you met anyone on the Roll Calls board? Our board is pretty quiet so far. I hope it picks up as we get closer to the sailing date.

I'll be cruising with my 14 y/o DD on the Navigator March 9th for Spring Break. My 19 y/o DD will miss out since Mizzou's Spring Break isn't until the last week of March, but she'll get to go with us on the Explorer in May.

It would be nice to meet other single parents to have a drink with or hang out with for a few hours.

I am really excited about this itinerary and can't wait!!

Edited by Snooksi

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am planning on going on the NCL Breakaway (NY to Fl/Bahamas) and will be traveling with my 16 year old son.

I have cruised with him before and he thoroughly enjoys himself to the point that he spends very little time with me. Just wondering if there are any other single parents planning on this cruise - would enjoy having someone to eat and hang out with.

• 2 months later...

Such a great idea!! I have 2 girls (10 and almost 13) I'll be sailing with march 13 on the Carnival Fascination. I'm looking forward to spending time with them...and also looking forward to their inevitable desire to spend more time away from me than with me... Is that awful? I just need some time to decompress!!

• 3 weeks later...

We are booked on

Star Nola TA April 21

Empress Baltic May 11

Epic Rome TA Oct 16

AJ

I cruised 6 years ago with my then 8 year old on RCI Navigator of the Seas. We had a wonderful time but he was still so young so he wanted to spend a lot of time with me. Our next cruise in 11/23 for Thanksgiving on the Freedom of the Seas RCI. As he will be a teenager, it should be fun (I hope).

Our last cruise I met another parent whose son had befriended mine(not single but husband didn't cruise) that I met up with a couples of nights. It was enjoyable.

Still felt a bit awkward at times when by myself with so many people around but it was much easier finding a chair by the pool!! lol Hopefully this time around, my son will join me a few times for dinner in the MDR. Not sure how/if he will like the teen scene. It takes him a while to warm up to people, but I am looking forward to seeing some of the comedy shows without him.

Would appreciate any suggestions and am happy to assist in any way.

Great thread! My son and I have been cruising since he was 5-turning-6, and he's about to turn 18 now. He has always loved the kids/tweens/teens clubs on both DCL and RCI so much, if my rule of dinner together hadn't been mandatory I would have never seen him, lol.

The very best suggestion I can offer is to make sure your kid(s), no matter their age, are at the very first get-together in the kids/teens club that first night. Seriously, whatever you have to do to convince them to go, it's super important. Kids (and moreso the older they get) tend to form little groups/cliques that first night and anyone who shows up after that point might easily feel left out. Not that other kids would purposefully snub someone who showed up later in the week, but I'm sure you all remember how quickly those cliques form when you're young!

For the grownups, my suggestion is similar -- make sure you get yourself to the first "singles" get-together they offer. Usually it's something as simple as gathering together for lunch hosted by one of the cruise staff, on that first sea day. And then you'll see most of the same people at the next get-together, and usually by that point striking up a conversation with them is easier. And just like that, you have new friends to hang out with onboard!

Looking forward to putting my own advice into practice again in less than three weeks!! *dance* :D

-gina-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

single mom and twin daughters 10 yrs old sailing on the carnival sunshine oct 25th 2014

i think trace1208 asked about traveling solo with multiples..i have been traveling solo with my girls since they turned 3. you know ur twins best and know what they can handle. just be relaxed and patient with them and understand its all new to them and enjoy it thru their eyes.

• 2 weeks later...