NCL Well Known Cruise Directors

DreamingBig1

We loved Sinan, he had me laughing all the time. We had the pleasure of also having him on celebrity but they didn't let him lark around as much as ncl did. Andre was just absent, the two assistants did everything when we were on escape.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Indeed he was. Another poster reminded me his last name is Glading.

He was our very first CD on Norwegian, on the Jade. He has a fascinating history in show business and you should try and get hold of his book 'Staterooms and Stowaways', a very good read. A multi talented man, I believe he still runs his animal sanctuary.

He was our very first CD on Norwegian, on the Jade. He has a fascinating history in show business and you should try and get hold of his book 'Staterooms and Stowaways', a very good read. A multi talented man, I believe he still runs his animal sanctuary.

Thanks for the info! I bought the book at his book signing and talk on the Jade.

Glad he's still running the animal sanctuary.

For me Simon was the best and then Dan the Man.I had Julie on Pearl few years ago and i was not impressed..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we just got off the Pearl last week and I thought that Simon was the worst cd we have ever had! 27 cruises and counting!

Gary Glading - had an animal sanctuary in Italy IIRC.

Unfortunately, we had Gary Glading as our CD on our first two NCL cruises (Jade). 6 NCL cruises later, it is impossible to even compare him to any other - such an amazing talent (performed professionally in Europe and Las Vegas with stars such as Ginger Rogers). Plus, he just plain worked harder than any other CD I have ever met...

My personal favorite is Pedro Serra. He has no schtick, but is just a genuine emcee type CD.

Totally agree with you on Pedro! We loved him on the Star in 2012! We had several personal conversations late at night with him and genuinely enjoyed him. Does anyone happen to know hat ship he is on now? Or did he retire?

I can't believe no one has mentioned Tyler from Escape. Tyler was simply (to me at least) the most amazing and unforgettable cruise director we have ever had on an NCL ship. He was just all kinds of fun throughout the cruise and provided non-stop laughs at everything he did.

I would definitely love to go on another cruise with Tyler!

• 2 weeks later...

Put me down as another vote for Pedro Serra! He is funny, entertaining, organized, and keeps things moving. As others have pointed out, he definitely has that emcee personality, and is genuine and loves his work. I hope I get to cruise with him again, but he's been around a while, and might be retired or in another position. He's a keeper.

He was assistant cruise director on the Norwegian Sea in March 2002, and he was cruise director on one of my cruises a few year later, might have been the Dream in 2004 or Sun in 2007.

Someone mentioned Denny Anderson. I seem to remember him (maybe on the Majesty circa 2005). He did an overall good job, though I can't remember anything in particular.

Another I remember is Matt Baker, better known as the "Wiki Wiki Wah" fellow, because he says that anytime he does not know exactly what to say next. I found this habit a bit annoying, and he seemed to hog the microphone a lot.

I'm sure I've had Julie at some point, on one or two cruises. I might be remembering the right woman, maybe not. She was rather tall & slender, dressed & acted rather formally, was a native speaker of English, but certainly not American. (Maybe she was from New Zealand?) She seemed a bit uptight for my liking, from what I remember. Is that Julie?

On my most recent cruise, the Dawn in March 2017, we had Gio. He was pretty good, somewhat better than most I've had. He kept things fun, seemed genuine, a good leader, and did not hog the microphone.

I am of the opinion that a cruise director does not have to be memorable or unique to do a good job. I've had so many cruises that most of them blur together. But overall NCL has done a good job. As long as they don't bark at me over the loudspeakers about every art auction, bingo game, or other fund-raising activity going on throughout the day, then I'm happy.

• 5 years later...

I know this Topic is very old but I had the pleasure to work as ACD for several of the Cruise Directors listed. I must Say loved working with Simon, Julie, Colin Kerr, and was Pedro Serras ACD a few times. I worked onboard from 2003 to 2007. On The Sea, star, dawn, crown, dream and the Marco Polo. Was fun reading this old thread brought me back to my younger years 

• Like 4