What should I do?

dposalski

I personally am not an advocate for young people drinking alcohol.

I was one of the previous posters questioning why someone would allow an underage child to drink, but with further thought, I realized that there are many Europeans on these ships that the drinking age isn't as stringent. And then I also thought back to my youth as a young girl growing up in a first generation Italian American. Every Sunday night, as we, as a family, settled in front of the TV to watch Bonanza, my Italian father passed out a small glass of red wine to us all. So, I guess I will soften my first comment, to say that if it is allowed for a young adult to have beer and wine under the supervision of their parent, then it should be just fine. We, as parents in the USA, are held to the law here, and if any young adult gets into a car accident, and found to have recieved any alcohol from an adult, we are prosecuted. So many US adults will be Leary of any underage drinking, that is why they are voicing some opposition. We just all need to keep it all in prospective that there are families from all different countries and cultures sailing with us that don't adhere to the strict alcohol restrictions that are here in the US.

I wouldn’t chance being booted from the shi just for a minor wanting to drink alcohol that is illegal, especially if I want to do the right thing. If it’s not allowed, then it’s not allowed. As others have stated, if they permit you to upgrade once onboard, then do what you will. But what will you do if they don’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since when is it illegal for a 19 year old to drink. There are few countries in the world that have 21 but that is the age that is used. Most of Europe, Canada and Caribbean Island (basically the destinations of most of NCL cruises) have a lower age. They have a silly form you sign on the ship, perhaps to deal with the short time they are US waters. Who knows.

I think the OP has a valid point, NCL is advertising these packages in big block letters and then hiding exclusion clauses in the background.

The only thing I don’t like about the situation is that some people are reporting that they have upgraded to corks and caps while they are telling you that it can’t be done. It needs to be the same policy for everyone.

Absolutely correct. It's the same inconsistency that NCL has also for things like enforcing the dress code.

The only thing I don’t like about the situation is that some people are reporting that they have upgraded to corks and caps while they are telling you that it can’t be done. It needs to be the same policy for everyone.

That’s NCL for you.

There are so many things like this where different people have different results. Latitudes meals, upgrading internet promos, swapping out perks, and many others. This forum is full of examples.

Just about the only rule that seems to be fairly consistent is that if a phone rep in Miami says something then that will almost certainly prove to be wrong. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the OP has a valid point, NCL is advertising these packages in big block letters and then hiding exclusion clauses in the background.

Just like every other company does in their advertising. That is why it behoves everyone to read all the terms of a promotion, sale price, offer, etc.

I read a review semi-recently, I think it was TheDougOut's, where he inquired onboard Escape about upgrading his daughter's soda package to the Corks and Caps. He was told Guest Services had to contact headquarters stateside. The next day he was told the upgrade had been approved. It did not sound like this was a given and could have gone either way. He just paid the difference in the gratuities for the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The US drink laws are just so archaic compared with the rest of the world, what's the problem if he is over 18 and having a drink! Most European countries let teens drink at 16 or below with parents and never check ages and they have less problems with alcohol than countries which have restrictive alcohol laws

Recent trip to Europe me my 16 and 22yo. Ordered wine at every meal. Waiter always brought 3 glasses. No problems no issues. However we did have nice little wine tastings and discussions about wine pairings etc

My 2 little travel bugs are on their way to an appreciation of fine wine

Nope they don't drink and drive

They don't come home drunk

They dont stumble about town

They dont drink hard liquor

Of course they do know a Cabernet from a Chardonnay. Lol

And nope the 16yo knows not to drink here in the USA.

For those that will comment I don't know what they do....um yes I do know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So agree with "maggie cruises".

We can send off our children to defend US in Military at 18, yet they cannot a have a beer in US until 21.

Key to getting your "under 21" approved for beer/wine is to do it before Ship leaves Port. In our case, it was leaving POM. It was super easy since we were still land locked. If you wait while at sea, I can see how that may become a problem and may delay approval (have to get land approval)?

Our 19 year old son has learned many wines over many dinners. Responsible. Classy.

Sure, you may have to pay additional fees/gratuities depending on your package and perks you received. Just upgrade BEFORE you leave Port . Guest Services will guide you and hopefully it will be painless.

Enjoy :)

I would try again to upgrade to the package at check in. If you can't do it then by all means, you get yourself a drink and then go to another bar to order one for him. Don't try to order both your drink and his at the same time because I think they will ask for his card. If NCL can't work common sense into their systems you work around it!

I would try again to upgrade to the package at check in. If you can't do it then by all means, you get yourself a drink and then go to another bar to order one for him. Don't try to order both your drink and his at the same time because I think they will ask for his card. If NCL can't work common sense into their systems you work around it!

No sir/ma'am. I do not agree with that strategy. It needs to be legally executed. Yes, NCL needs to get a grip on "Young Adult" waiver from what I have read. Crap shoot from person to person is not acceptable. It is clearly written that a "Waiver" needs to be signed by consenting Adult. Period. We signed. No problems were encountered. Check your package, pay the difference (if necessary), and you are good to go. Do it before you leave port :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thought you would all enjoy a post cruise follow up. We visited guest services at embarkation and signed the parental consent waiver. My son was given a new card with a notation on it. We asked for the corks and caps and it took 2 days to finally hear back that it was approved. He was then given another new card.

He had some ciders at the lounges with me, a glass of wine with dinner, a couple different beers, and shhhh, he tasted a few of my mixed drinks.

We had a fabulous time! Before the cruise I had planned on not sailing with NCL again. After this fantastic experience on this trip, I placed 4 deposits for future cruises while onboard. I have cruised Norwegian a couple times before, and this was the best experience of any cruise I have had.

The ship was great. The food was as expected. I know buffets, dining rooms, and specialties. I own restaurants, so I have reasonable expectations. Our meal at Teppanyaki was one of the greatest meals ever. The steak and shrimp were amazing.

Can't wait to go again....maybe in May.

That is the truth! And the high incidence of drinking, driving, and car accidents is one reason that the drinking age was changed from 18 to 21 when I was a young bride. When I graduated high school it was still 18.
No, it was more fantastic lobbying by MADD that talked the federal government to tying any funding for interstates to raising the drinking age. Countries with drinking ages below ours have a much lower incident than the US.

It did work to a certain degree, the fact that we have more duis with a higher age limit leads many to believe that age is not as limiting a factor as some in the US would like to believe.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I cannot believe all the "prudes" in this group. In Alberta, Canada (and other places), it's legal to drink at 18. To go on some cruise and have a stupid number like 21 thrown at you is just ridiculous... Or for other people who think hard liquor is different than beer or wine... a drink is a drink is a drink...