All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:03 PM.
chicago
14,431 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally Posted by KNJforFun
I would like to introduce the newly created
Krewe of Borderline Addictive Cruising Fanatics
or for short we will be the Krewe of BACF. Everyone is invited to join in. Our Krewe will parade and pass out beads just like the big Krewe's in New Orleans. I will be happy to order bulk Mardi Gras beads (divided up into packets of 3 doz) and Feather masks and ship them at cost to anyone who wants to join in. There are some of us that will be wearing "prior used" Mardi Gras tops (complete with the sparkles), and any other costume is acceptable, or you can just opt for any top in the famous Mardi Gras colors -Purple Green or Gold. Add a mask and/or boa and you will be set to go. We will then travel around the ship and pass out our beads and get everyone ready for their next stop... NEW ORLEANS. We are looking a parading around the ship and ending up in the Fairwell Party. John will be adding this as a sub-page to our links on Sunday and I will be adding more complete information as to what I will be able to collect and ship out to you as we get closer to sailing. Those that are going to the Helmsley Hotel from out of country, we can make arrangements to ship your beads there.

Laissez le bon temps roulez! (let the good times roll)

Joy

Originally Posted by:Uniall

Joy

I will add the Mardi Gras Parade as a new Cruise Critic Event on next Sunday's List Update and list you as Coordinator.

I'll schedule the Mardi Gras Parade immediately preceding the Farewell Party (Cavmom & KParker, coordiantors) and they can blend a "Post Mardi Gras Krewe Party) Theme into the Farewell Event.

John

SCHEDULED FOR SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 3
TIME AND VENUE: TBD

Mardi Gras Parade Coordinator: Joy (KNJforFun)

Mardi Gras Krewe Party Coordinators: Karen (kParker) & Marianne (Cavmom)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Latitudes Member: Platinum Plus: 646 points
RCI Crown & Anchor Member: Diamond Plus: 233 points
Completed Cruises
Jan '89 Premier Oceanic, Baha; May '95 Regal Empr, Mex; Apr '96 Regal Empr, Carib; Jan '06 RC Radiance, West Carib; Aug '06 NCL Sun, Alas; Oct '07 NCL Pride of Aloha Hawaii; Feb '08 HAL Westerdam, Irish Theme, Carib; Nov '08 NCL Jade, Med.; Apr '09 NCL Jewel, TA, Miami/Dover; May '09 NCL Jewel, Dover/Baltic; Oct '09 NCL Jewel, New Eng & Can; Nov '09 NCL Jewel, S. Carib; Nov '09 NCL Jewel, Baham; Apr '10 NCL Spirit, NOLA/Boston; Sep '10 NCL Pearl, Vanc'ver, Can./LA; Sep '10 NCL Pearl, LA/Pan Canal/Miami; Oct '10 NCL Pearl, Baham; Oct '10 NCL Pearl, West Carib; May '11 NCL Epic, TA, Miami/Barcelona; Oct '11 NCL Jade: Rome/EasternMed/Rome; Oct '11 RC Mariner: Rome/EasternMed/TA/ Carib/Galveston; Dec '11 NCL Dawn, Miami/Carib; Apr '12 RC Majesty, Miami/Carib; Apr '12 RC Grandeur, Miami/Carib/ TA/Malaga, Spain; Oct '12 NCL Star,NYC/Carib/NOLA; Apr '13 NCL Star, NOLA/TA/Copenhagen; May '13 NCL Star, Copenhagen/Baltic/Copenhagen; Dec '13 NCL Gem, NYC/Carib/NYC; April/May '14 RC Brilliance Tampa/TA/Harwich UK; May/Jun '14 RubyPrincess: Southampton/Ire & UK; Oct '14 NCL Sun, LA-Tampa; Oct '14 NCL Sun, Tampa/W. Carib/Tampa; Apr '15 RC Radiance: Sydney, AUS/S. Pacific/ Honolulu; May '15 RC Radiance: Honolulu/Hawaii/Vancouver, CAN; Oct '15:NCL Sun: San Diego/Mex Riviera/San Diego; Nov '15 NCL Escape Miami/Baha; Nov '15 NCL Escape Miami E. Carib; Nov '15 RC Independence, Ft Laud/S. Carib; Nov '15 RC Independence, Ft Laud/W. Carib; Apr/May '16 RC Brilliance: Tampa-Barcelona; May '16 RC Brilliance: Barcelona-Italy; Dec '16 NCL Dawn: NOLA-W.Carib.; Feb '17 NCL Jewel: Miami-Pan Can-LA; Oct '17NCL Dawn: Boston-Quebec; Oct '17 NCL Dawn: Quebec-Boston; Oct '17 Boston-Bermuda;
Booked Future Cruises
May '18 NCL Jade: UK: Irish & British Isles; May '18 NCL Jade: UK: Iberia; .

New Orleans,LA
755 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Krewe of BACF

Krewe of Borderline Addictive Cruising Fanatics

A Krewe is a group of people that parade as an organization, throwing beads and trinkets to the people on the side of the street.

Beads

I will purchase and send beads for anyone who is interested in them for cost. I will purchase them from a local company at case prices and ship them in the US post office pre priced boxes. If you are interested in seeing what I would be purchasing, BeadsbytheDozen.com - SKU: 48 -10 PGG DZ. I have a med box from the PO and I can put aprox 7 doz in there. I will have exactly what will fit in the box at a later time. You will want to have the min of 3 doz. per person. That is a comfortable amount to carry on your arm while you throw (or in this case pass out) with your other hand. My husband will pass out about 6 doz by himself...this is his thing...he loves it. As for shipping, those that are staying at a hotel in NYC and want there beads shipped there, I will be happy to do that as long as you supply me with a complete address and phone number. Beads really add to the weight of your luggage.

Costumes

Purple, Green and Gold are the colors of Mardi Gras. If you have a costume of any type to wear that is great. The 6 in my group have old Mardi Gras tops to wear that were used in a parade. They are flashy. There are alot of Purple Green and Gold t-shirts and these can be dressed up for women with a boa or just by wearing beads. Everyone should wear a mask. In a real Krewe you can not ride without one in a parade. I can also ship these if you need one. Boa's are easy to ship as they are really flat until you take them out of the bag... they are messy tho...feathers everywhere for the first bit of wearing them. I would not recomend getting one of the thinner ones as they look like they are for little girls.

I may have other things to add as time goes on.

Laissez le bon temps roulez!
(let the good times roll)

Joy
if you have any questions please email me at
joylepp at aol dot com
Costa Mesa, CA
1,133 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Count us in

Pete & Gretchen Costa Mesa, CA 9208
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"I'd Rather Be On A Ship With A Drink On The Rocks, Then In The Drink With A Ship On The Rocks"

RCCL SONG OF NORWAY 1979
RCCL SONG OF NORWAY 1981
CARNIVAL HOLIDAY 1987
NCL SOUTHWARD 1993
RCCL NORDIC PRINCE 1994
CARNIVAL HOLIDAY 1995
RCCL LEGEND OF THE SEAS 1995
NCL NORWAY 1997
CARN. FASINATION 1998
RCCL VIKING SERENADE 1998
NCL SKY 2000
NCL NORWAY 2002
NCL CROWN 2004
NCL STAR 2006
NCL MAJESTY 2007
NCL DREAM 2008
NCL JEWEL 2009
NCL STAR 2011
NCL STAR 2012
NCL SUN 2014
NCL DAWN 2015
NCL ESCAPE 2015
NCL DAWN 2016
NCL PEARL 2017

NCL LATITUDES STATUS: PLATINUM
Rockaway NY
424 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
I was just looking on Oriental trading dot com for party favors. They have Mardi Gras stuff with free shipping for orders over $49. Have no idea what beads or masks should cost lol. Just an option for you . Fran
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

New Orleans,LA
755 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by Rockapulco
I was just looking on Oriental trading dot com for party favors. They have Mardi Gras stuff with free shipping for orders over $49. Have no idea what beads or masks should cost lol. Just an option for you . Fran
The 48" beads in 10mm cost aprox $22.(tax included) for 10 doz. (BeadsbytheDozen.com) Three to four doz per person is what is comfortable to carry on most arms. This is a local business and it has the best prices in town for buying beads. I will wait until apox two months out and then go buy what we need. If you go to their site you can look at the mask prices.

Joy
New Orleans,LA
755 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by Rockapulco
Just looked at what Orental trading had...those are much smaller mm size and the length is only 33", which is not a length that is popular. The price is just a little more and the size and quality is much better from Beads by the Dozen. Please note, that you can get your beads from where ever you want, but I will be happy to get them and send them out from B by D here. Everyone has choices...we are going to have a great time.

Joy
Mississippi
124 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Count us in also. Rene' and Tracy cabin #9520
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL MS Southward 1984
Commodore Cruise Line SS Enchanted Seas 1994
Carnival Holiday (4 sailings on our all time favorite old gal) 2002-2009
Carnival Sensation 2005
Carnival Conquest 2006
Carnival Liberty 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2009
Carnival Triumph 2010
Carnival Victory 2010
Carnival Elation 2011
Carnival Elation 2012(3 sailings)
Norwegian Star 2012
Carnival Elation 2013
Carnival Conquest 2013
Carnival Elation 2014
Carnival Splendor 2014
Carnival Elation 2015
Carnival Liberty 2015
Carnival Elation 2016 Journey 11 day
Carnival Dream 2017
Carnival Miracle 2017 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Miracle 2017 Hawaiian Journey 15 day
chicago
14,431 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by pdoeringer
Count us in

Pete & Gretchen Costa Mesa, CA 9208
Originally posted by MS_Cruzingal
Count us in also. Rene' and Tracy cabin #9520
Hi EVERYONE

Please sign up for joining the Mardi Gras Events at the "Events Sign Up Thread".

This thread is for planning discusions for BOTH the Mardi Gras Parade AND the post Parade Mardi Gras Party.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed Cruises
Jan '89 Premier Oceanic, Baha; May '95 Regal Empr, Mex; Apr '96 Regal Empr, Carib; Jan '06 RC Radiance, West Carib; Aug '06 NCL Sun, Alas; Oct '07 NCL Pride of Aloha Hawaii; Feb '08 HAL Westerdam, Irish Theme, Carib; Nov '08 NCL Jade, Med.; Apr '09 NCL Jewel, TA, Miami/Dover; May '09 NCL Jewel, Dover/Baltic; Oct '09 NCL Jewel, New Eng & Can; Nov '09 NCL Jewel, S. Carib; Nov '09 NCL Jewel, Baham; Apr '10 NCL Spirit, NOLA/Boston; Sep '10 NCL Pearl, Vanc'ver, Can./LA; Sep '10 NCL Pearl, LA/Pan Canal/Miami; Oct '10 NCL Pearl, Baham; Oct '10 NCL Pearl, West Carib; May '11 NCL Epic, TA, Miami/Barcelona; Oct '11 NCL Jade: Rome/EasternMed/Rome; Oct '11 RC Mariner: Rome/EasternMed/TA/ Carib/Galveston; Dec '11 NCL Dawn, Miami/Carib; Apr '12 RC Majesty, Miami/Carib; Apr '12 RC Grandeur, Miami/Carib/ TA/Malaga, Spain; Oct '12 NCL Star,NYC/Carib/NOLA; Apr '13 NCL Star, NOLA/TA/Copenhagen; May '13 NCL Star, Copenhagen/Baltic/Copenhagen; Dec '13 NCL Gem, NYC/Carib/NYC; April/May '14 RC Brilliance Tampa/TA/Harwich UK; May/Jun '14 RubyPrincess: Southampton/Ire & UK; Oct '14 NCL Sun, LA-Tampa; Oct '14 NCL Sun, Tampa/W. Carib/Tampa; Apr '15 RC Radiance: Sydney, AUS/S. Pacific/ Honolulu; May '15 RC Radiance: Honolulu/Hawaii/Vancouver, CAN; Oct '15:NCL Sun: San Diego/Mex Riviera/San Diego; Nov '15 NCL Escape Miami/Baha; Nov '15 NCL Escape Miami E. Carib; Nov '15 RC Independence, Ft Laud/S. Carib; Nov '15 RC Independence, Ft Laud/W. Carib; Apr/May '16 RC Brilliance: Tampa-Barcelona; May '16 RC Brilliance: Barcelona-Italy; Dec '16 NCL Dawn: NOLA-W.Carib.; Feb '17 NCL Jewel: Miami-Pan Can-LA; Oct '17NCL Dawn: Boston-Quebec; Oct '17 NCL Dawn: Quebec-Boston; Oct '17 Boston-Bermuda;
Booked Future Cruises

chicago
14,431 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Karen & Marianne

Re: Post Parade Mardi Gras Party

I saw some on line party scene makers for Mardi Gras. If you guys want I'll pay for a 30' X 8' back drop of Burboun Street for the Party. Let me know ASAP and I'll order it.

John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed Cruises
Booked Future Cruises

Summerfield, Florida
7,295 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
Originally posted by Uniall
Karen & Marianne

Re: Post Parade Mardi Gras Party

I saw some on line party scene makers for Mardi Gras. If you guys want I'll pay for a 30' X 8' back drop of Burboun Street for the Party. Let me know ASAP and I'll order it.

John
John...I just saw this post...gosh goes back awhile. Sorry about that. I'll leave that decision up to Marianne...not sure exactly what is planned yet. I actually wasn't aware there was a lunch involved. Not a problem...just that Marianne and I should probably e-mail and coordinate any thoughts about the party.

That is very nice of you to order the backdrop. If Marianne is in agreement, that would be great!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

"Life is too short. So, love the people who treat you right. Forget the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason!"

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." (Albert Einstein)

Carnival Sunshine -10/15
Carnival Legend - 11/14
Carnival Dream - 1/14
Carnival Breeze - 3/13
MSC Poesia - 12/12
Carnival Dream - 9/12
Carnival Dream - 11/11
Ruby Princess - 9/11
Carnival Miracle - 01/11 B2B 02/11
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 5/16
Norwegian Spirit - 04/10
Carnival Pride - 04/09
Carnival Miracle - 9/07
Carnival Spirit - 10/06
Norwegian Wind - 3/05
Norwegian Sun - 2/04
Norwegian Sky - 2/03
Norwegian Dream
Norwegian Leeward
Splendor of the Seas
Zenith
Olympia
Homeric
Atlantic
Doric
Franconia
chicago
14,431 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by kparker
John...I just saw this post...gosh goes back awhile. Sorry about that. I'll leave that decision up to Marianne...not sure exactly what is planned yet. I actually wasn't aware there was a lunch involved. Not a problem...just that Marianne and I should probably e-mail and coordinate any thoughts about the party.

That is very nice of you to order the backdrop. If Marianne is in agreement, that would be great!
Karen
It could include a proper lunch but it's not an absolute necessity. You could have munchies or snacks or pot luck plates from the buffet. The Parade should start and end at the Party Venue. The Party can before or after the Parade. It's up to you and Marianne to make these decsions.

John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed Cruises
Booked Future Cruises

Summerfield, Florida
7,295 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
Originally posted by Uniall
Karen
It could include a proper lunch but it's not an absolute necessity. You could have munchies or snacks or pot luck plates from the buffet. The Parade should start and end at the Party Venue. The Party can before or after the Parade. It's up to you and Marianne to make these decsions.

John
Marianne is running the show...I'm just the helper on this one so will wait to hear what she has in mind.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

"Life is too short. So, love the people who treat you right. Forget the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason!"

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." (Albert Einstein)

Carnival Sunshine -10/15
Carnival Legend - 11/14
Carnival Dream - 1/14
Carnival Breeze - 3/13
MSC Poesia - 12/12
Carnival Dream - 9/12
Carnival Dream - 11/11
Ruby Princess - 9/11
Carnival Miracle - 01/11 B2B 02/11
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 5/16
Norwegian Spirit - 04/10
Carnival Pride - 04/09
Carnival Miracle - 9/07
Carnival Spirit - 10/06
Norwegian Wind - 3/05
Norwegian Sun - 2/04
Norwegian Sky - 2/03
Norwegian Dream
Norwegian Leeward
Splendor of the Seas
Zenith
Olympia
Homeric
Atlantic
Doric
Franconia
chicago
14,431 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Confessions of...A Mardi Gras Krewe Captain

It's not all beads and booze at New Orleans's biggest bacchanalia. Take it from the leader of one of Mardi Gras's most celebrated floats.

By Rachel Mosely, Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012, 7:00 AM

New Orleans is a town that takes its partying seriously. To prep for the signature fete of Mardi Gras, local clubs known as krewes toil year-round planning balls, recruiting celebrity guests, and building massive, intricate floats—think wire frames fashioned into eye-popping shapes like dragons, Roman gods, and castles that are often "animated" by the bigger krewes—for their individual Mardi Gras parades. Native son Sonny Borey, a krewe captain for 19 years, agreed to give us a behind-the-masks tour.

Staging a parade is like putting on a traveling musical

My background is in theater—I have a master's of fine arts in directing. My mom owns a costume store where we sell beads, sequins, rhinestones, pearls—anything you'd need for Mardi Gras. So to me, staging a parade is just like putting on a big, traveling musical, except you're doing two or three of them at the same time. Out in the streets. With thousands of spectators. It does sometimes present a headache or two.

I started the krewe with famous singer Harry Connick Jr.

Harry Connick Jr. and I actually started the Krewe of Orpheus together. I taught him years ago, in speech theater, at Jefferson High School here in the city. Even then, he was fabulous on that piano—an absolute talent from the beginning. And every couple of years, he still comes down and joins the Orpheus parade.

Believe it or not, Mardi Gras is a family holiday

I may have had my share of youthful indiscretions—some things I've seen aren't fit for print in a family publication. But a lot of Mardi Gras's bawdy reputation is hype, and most of the uninhibited are tourists. For locals, Mardi Gras is a family holiday. People set out picnic lunches and barbecue, and their kids dress up in costumes. New Orleanians wouldn't do anything that would embarrass their mothers. This town is too small, and you're never too old to be chastised.

Misbehave and you could get kicked off the krewe

Some of the older, traditional krewes aren't open to public membership. Most still aren't even coed! But the newer krewes, like Orpheus and Bacchus, let anyone of good character join—men and women, all races and creeds. Unfortunately, we have had to deny membership renewals. Anyone who smokes, imbibes too heavily, or even removes their mask during the parade faces expulsion.

You wouldn't believe how expensive it is to be part of a krewe

Parading with a krewe is not cheap, to be honest. Aside from their dues, some members spend around $2,000 for beads and other trimmings. But when you're on that float, you're a rock star! Hundreds of thousands of people are screaming for your attention. Even though you've been up for 18 hours working on the float, you still have the fortitude to go dance at the post-parade ball for another six hours.

Mardi Gras after Katrina surprised us all

The year after Katrina, we weren't sure we were going to have Mardi Gras, but the crowd turned out to be wonderful. Usually, people are out there screaming and scrambling for beads, but that year many just stood with signs, thanking the krewes for carrying on the tradition. We showed the world New Orleans was back.

Reprinted from BudgetTravel.com
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed Cruises
Booked Future Cruises

New Orleans,LA
755 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Well Mardi Gras is over here in New Orleans....I completed my 11th ride in a parade this year. Ken and I rode in Bacchus, one of the biggest Krewes of the season. It is truly a thrill to pass out beads to the crowds ( in this case there were 10's of thousands of people along the parade route). While our parade will not be "throwing" to this many people, it will still be an event that will be enjoyed by all....

Joy
Louisiana
1,831 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
I've never rode on a float in a Mardi Gras parade but I have ridden my horses in dozens of them. Unfortunately, I was unable to book my horse on this cruise so I might just be a spectator.
New Orleans,LA
755 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Okay everyone we are at the one month mark. Those of you who are in the parade you should be getting your beads or what ever you are passing out together. In New Orleans we parade for alot of things, But Mardi Gras is what we are known for. While we are doing a very small version of a Mardi Gras parade, we still want to make sure that everyone gets the feel of a big parade. That is why it is important to dress "in Costume" weather it is a real costume, an invented costume or a t-shirt in the purple green and gold theme. Everyone should wear a mask of some sort, and no one rides in a parade empty handed. Beads are the main throw, but small toys, candy, and dubloons are all thrown. I do understand that not everyone wants to throw.....after all where would a parade be if there was no one to catch lol.....if you have any last questions, contact me at joylepp at aol dot com.

A good time will be had by all....all hail King Rol and Queen Bonnie

Joy
Fenwick, Ontario, Canada
2,125 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by KNJforFun
Okay everyone we are at the one month mark. Those of you who are in the parade you should be getting your beads or what ever you are passing out together. In New Orleans we parade for alot of things, But Mardi Gras is what we are known for. While we are doing a very small version of a Mardi Gras parade, we still want to make sure that everyone gets the feel of a big parade. That is why it is important to dress "in Costume" weather it is a real costume, an invented costume or a t-shirt in the purple green and gold theme. Everyone should wear a mask of some sort, and no one rides in a parade empty handed. Beads are the main throw, but small toys, candy, and dubloons are all thrown. I do understand that not everyone wants to throw.....after all where would a parade be if there was no one to catch lol.....if you have any last questions, contact me at joylepp at aol dot com.

A good time will be had by all....all hail King Rol and Queen Bonnie

Joy
All hail the ROYALTY ! we ordered our beads today....ready to go....we all have feather masks to wear that we picked up at a discount store....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers, Catherine & Dave
Living the dream!
Roll Call links to spreadsheets......

NCL Star Fall 2018 Adriatic from a Rome B 2 B
Roll Call Adriatic portion Link : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...4n-qVm4P2HOM8c

NCL Sun South America March 2019
Roll Call link Mar. 2 sailing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...FtbCxv1pBBn_Ho

Roll Call link Mar. 16 sailing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...jo9CpxeuLFHAac