Kangaroo Island (Penneshaw) Tours

RogerW

Does anyone know the best way to do a tour on Kangaroo Island (Penneshaw), we are there for 1 day. We do not wish to use the cruise ship excursions as they are vastly over priced, we have contacted the local tourism office and they do tours a lot cheaper. There is one drawback if in the event that the tender cannot get ashore, the tour money handed over cannot be reclaimed. They advise to sign up for insurance to cover this situation. If this is done it doubles the price of the tour so back to square one. Our personal travel insurance also does not cover for local tours.

So has anyone else experienced this situation there, or do we just use the tender and hope for the best.

Does anyone know the best way to do a tour on Kangaroo Island (Penneshaw), we are there for 1 day. We do not wish to use the cruise ship excursions as they are vastly over priced, we have contacted the local tourism office and they do tours a lot cheaper. There is one drawback if in the event that the tender cannot get ashore, the tour money handed over cannot be reclaimed. They advise to sign up for insurance to cover this situation. If this is done it doubles the price of the tour so back to square one. Our personal travel insurance also does not cover for local tours.

So has anyone else experienced this situation there, or do we just use the tender and hope for the best.

Would hiring a car be a possibility? You would need to check out what the car hire situation is when ships can't tender.

I tried to find out what was available for private day trippers off ships when I was on KI in September and was advised a lot of the small local operators are tied up with ship tours.

Would hiring a car be a possibility? You would need to check out what the car hire situation is when ships can't tender.

I tried to find out what was available for private day trippers off ships when I was on KI in September and was advised a lot of the small local operators are tied up with ship tours.

* just to note for our UK poster - KI is relatively 'new' for cruises, and isn't established for a large cruise ship in terms of services. The island has a small sparse population, and limited supply of services of any kind *

The issue with KI is DISTANCE and AVAILABILITY.

Distance :

I have mates that live @ Kingscote - and it's 90kms, and 50+mins away from Penneshaw on single laned roads.

From Penneshaw to many of the island's tourist areas you are looking at vast distances and times.

To Seal Bay - about 97kms - and over 1.2 hr to get there - plus the time to view the seals (that's about another 80mins - waiting for the guide, walking, beach time etc)

To Admiral's Arch / Remarkable Rocks - over 2+ hrs one way - and then allow 1 hour for both sites.

(* these are car times - so with a bus - you will need to 'add' more - and allow for stragglers at sites)

To be frank - there is nothing of sight value between these two spots - apart from the odd koala that you might find walking on the road. Note also that there is limited food and drink available outside the two main towns.

Whatever you do - chose wisely - OTHERWISE you will be sitting for hours.

Availability - and that's the issue, it's a small population, and there isn't a massive amount of vehicles available for rent at the best of times.

(Can't see why the tenders would have any issues not landing - weather and bay conditions around Penneshaw aren't that bad)

oh... and then there's kangaroos. I hit one coming back to Penneshaw when leaving the island. 6am dark... one large one jumped in front.. SLAMMED the brakes.. then collected the 2nd smaller one that followed, hiting the front of the SUV... thankfully not much damage.. but at 90kms/hr I wasn't stopping.

Edited by shireboi

We visited KI a few years ago during a Volendam cruise.

KI remains one of the most enjoyable places we have visited.

We opted for the ship’s tour and it was a little expensive but we travelled a long way on a circumnavigation Aus cruise, and we wanted to sightsee on the island especially see the seals on the beach.

Luckily we tendered to the jetty to meet with our tour as after our tender, all tenders were stopped until later in the afternoon because of the swells. Had we been unable to meet our ship’s tour our money would have been refunded.

There was a couple that had planned well in advance and hired a car and had a great time also. If you prepare well in advance for a hire car and had 4 in it, the most you could lose would be the day’s hire and divided by 4, wouldn’t be much. Worth a chance, I would think. But all going well it certainly would be a very inexpensive way to see the island. But the towns are few, small, isolated and a long way apart should anything go wrong.

Our ship’s tour was terrific. The best and well informed local driver and host. We visited the seal beach, a family eucalyptus business and a few lookouts. A couple of hours on tour and we spent some time at a small market and a walk around the small town. Great day.

Just a couple of observations.

Penneshaw has a population of only about 450 people It is a very small town with a couple of shops and the Information Centre. Not much to do there.

I have a friend who didn't get to land because of the swell and they went onto Portland instead so it is not always calm. Having said that I have been there 4 times and apart from a rocky ride the first time (a bit like the big dipper) have got ashore each time.

Other friends booked a hire car several months in advance but found that like all tender ports authorised ships tours took precedence in the tenders so they were rather late in being allowed ashore. Then they got lost on outback roads with few signs which are not sealed. Got back ok. I believe there are no taxis.

Seal Cove is great but if you do it alone then be aware the entry cost is around $60pp which goes to conservation of the area. Well worth it though.

Admiral's Arch and Remarkable Rocks are magnificent and free but are at the other end of the island - miles away.

I have found the ship's tours to be no more expensive that the tours organised by the Information Centre but with the added security of having the ship wait for you. I have done the full day tour several times (I love it) and we have left the ship at 8.00am and gotten back on board at 5.30pm with the coach driver going at full speed over the unsealed roads plus the informative talks by the coach captain who are usually locals are well worth listening to. Coaches are usually brought over from the mainland for the day when cruise ships are in port so like similar ports the cruise ship has pretty much everything sewn up.

It is a great place to go and still very much unspoilt. ENJOY :D:cool:

What you can see and do on a day visit depends how long the ship is in port. Note you don't drive on KI after dusk for the very real possibility of hitting a kangaroo.

Because of the long distances between attractions, we stay on both ends of the island (Penneshaw) and Fraser Chase National Park. There is a lot to see close to Penneshaw, if you have a hire car. I would suggest you call in to the friendly Tourist Information Office close by for maps and suggestions. Then drive to the beautiful beaches en route to the closest light house (arriving at Penneshaw, the road is to the left). There is a cafe en route with delicious food and 180 degree views near the light house. You can tour the lighthouse and see how the lighthouse keepers used to live. There is also an excellent winery en route. Then I would drive west to where the road turns east to Kingscote and turn left instead to walk on another spectacular beach. If you have time, I'd drive to Kingscote for the best fish and chips from the shop at the local garage. This small town has the most shops to buy gifts and KI food. On the way back to Penneshaw, I'd turn down all the little roads to the left (in and out to main highway.) You would have a splendid day, without travelling the long distances involved in trying to see everything in a day (which is impossible).

If you fall in love with KI, as I have, you'll soon be able to fly direct to there from Sydney and Melbourne. At present you take a small Rex plane with thirty seats from Adelaide or drive from Adelaide to the ferry - both routes are enjoyable.

I visited. KI by cruise ship in February. The tender ride was rocky and conditions were considered marginal. My neighbours arrived by cruise ship the day before and unfortunately did not get on the island because the conditions were too rough to tender.

The ship tours are very expensive, but I relented when I thought about the possibility of tendering causing cancellation of the visit, and also that people on the ship tours normally get priority for the early tenders. The tour I did was a full day and it was very interesting and informative. The driver/tour guide was great. Distances travelled were long, but I was glad I wasn't driving a hire car on the very corrugated unsealed roads. A very enjoyable day.

It seems that the ships tours would pretty much snaffle up the majority of the tourism resources (tours and guides) on the island, it may be more expensive but you would get a quality product and money back if the tour is cancelled (due to no tender) or compensated if the tour was not delivered fully.

I organised a KI excursion in Nov 2014 with "Adventures Beyond" for a full day's trip around the island for 16 people. We saw all the places already mentioned. The coach was waiting at the tender arrival dock when we arrived there. We were lucky to be one of the first tenders to go ashore, after a quiet word with the ship's organiser. The afternoon tenders were also cancelled because of the swell, and we had a bumpy ride back to the ship.

I cannot remember all the details, except that this company did agree to refund some of the fare if we failed to make it to shore. They only wanted a small amount to cover their cost of ferrying the coach(es) across from Adelaide on that day.

Can highly recommend this company and the coach driver was excellent, friendly and knowledgeable.

Hope this helps,

Rosee

Forgot to mention......another friend on the same cruise went with the ship's excursion in a four wheel drive and they basically followed us to the various spots. He said afterwards he felt he should have come with us instead as his trip cost twice as much for him but he saw exactly the same things!

Rosee

• 2 weeks later...

Just like to say thanks to every one for the very useful advice you have supplied. We have decided to take one of the Oceania Regatta tours, we came to this decision based on where the tour is taking us to, and also if the ship cannot get into port and the amount we lose if done by a tour company on the Island. Some wanted us to take out another private insurance to secure the tour cost which made our decision to go with Oceania. So the tour will take us to KI south coast and see the sea lions, see Flinders Chase National Park. Stop off at Seal Bay and then onto the Remarkable Rocks also to see Admirals Arch. It's approximately takes 7.5 hours which will be quite a lot of travelling time.

Thanks,

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

MMDown Under - Can you please explain about the coming flights you mentioned from Sydney to KI? We are going there in November 2018 and I was worrying about the Rex flight because of the severe luggage limitations. Thanks!

What you can see and do on a day visit depends how long the ship is in port. Note you don't drive on KI after dusk for the very real possibility of hitting a kangaroo.

Because of the long distances between attractions, we stay on both ends of the island (Penneshaw) and Fraser Chase National Park. There is a lot to see close to Penneshaw, if you have a hire car. I would suggest you call in to the friendly Tourist Information Office close by for maps and suggestions. Then drive to the beautiful beaches en route to the closest light house (arriving at Penneshaw, the road is to the left). There is a cafe en route with delicious food and 180 degree views near the light house. You can tour the lighthouse and see how the lighthouse keepers used to live. There is also an excellent winery en route. Then I would drive west to where the road turns east to Kingscote and turn left instead to walk on another spectacular beach. If you have time, I'd drive to Kingscote for the best fish and chips from the shop at the local garage. This small town has the most shops to buy gifts and KI food. On the way back to Penneshaw, I'd turn down all the little roads to the left (in and out to main highway.) You would have a splendid day, without travelling the long distances involved in trying to see everything in a day (which is impossible).

If you fall in love with KI, as I have, you'll soon be able to fly direct to there from Sydney and Melbourne. At present you take a small Rex plane with thirty seats from Adelaide or drive from Adelaide to the ferry - both routes are enjoyable.

MMDown Under - Can you please explain about the coming flights you mentioned from Sydney to KI? We are going there in November 2018 and I was worrying about the Rex flight because of the severe luggage limitations. Thanks!

At this stage, Qantaslink flights have been announced from Adelaide and summer season flights from Melbourne.

What cruise are you on and what date do you visit KI?

Hi Linda and Lester - Not sure who you are asking, but www are on the Celebrity Solstice from Auckland to Sydney on November 20, 2018. We are going to Australia first (Kangaroo Island, Cairns, and Sydney).

Hi Linda and Lester - Not sure who you are asking, but www are on the Celebrity Solstice from Auckland to Sydney on November 20, 2018. We are going to Australia first (Kangaroo Island, Cairns, and Sydney).

I was replying to the OP, RogerW.

It would be a pity to not visit Adelaide as well as KI, if you have time. What time of year are you planning on visiting?

• 2 months later...

We just visited Kangaroo Island on a cruise and used a fantastic guide. Very fair prices, very knowledgeable and great service. We used Kangaroo Island Hire a Guide. The owner’s name is Luca. I would highly recommend using them. Any questions, please post and I will do my best to answer. Still in Australia.

We've just returned from a cruise stopping at KI. There were 7 of us and we hired a Hyundai iMax from Hertz at Peneshaw.

We left Penneshaw at about 9am and it took 1hr45min to get across to Admiral's Arch. We then went to Remarkable Rocks and Vivonne Bay before heading back to Penneshaw arriving at the wharf about 3:30pm after dropping off the vehicle. Total cost including National Park fee was approx. $60 each plus lunch which we bought at the Flinders Chase Visitor Centre. Buy lunch there when you pay the park fee because there was very little left when we got back later.

No need to go to Seal Bay, there are plenty of seals to see at Admiral's Arch.

Unfortunately we were denied the visit to the island as we were on board the Regatta, Southern Cross Explorer, Sydney to Sydney, 201217 - 230118. When we arrived to anchor the usual scenario took place. The Captain lowered some tenders then immediately announced the sea was to rough and we pulled up the anchor and sailed away just as for Exmouth and Esperance. Oceania reason was that the tenders would take on water and if the tenders were damaged, then they would have to off load 150 passengers. In fact the ship had been dogged by malfunctions since leaving the states. At this point there were at least that amount who wanted to get off anyway as they had enough of the pathetic excuses made by Oceania. So sadly we missed what really was a nice place.

Thanks everyone.

Sorry to hear you missed the port. We are on Azamara and we did miss 1 port - Exmouth. I think another ship is behind us and missed Esperance. We have had very high winds and lots of waves. With our guide, the lunch was included at Flinders chase visitors center. I can’t get used to driving on the other side of the road so we felt more comfortable with a driver/guide. So, it is doable to rent a car or hire a guide .....both ways you will be able to see and do a lot more than with a cruise ship tour and for a lot less money.

Onboard Azamara Journey now also and was so glad we stopped in at KI. It was very windy, captain did a great job of getting us in a position to be able to tender.

We rented a 4WD and drove ourselves all around the island, and we saw the most amazing sights. Pennington Bay, Cape Willoughby and the lighthouse. Kangaroos, seals at Seal Bay. Baudin Beach. Amazing places.

As for Exmouth (not to digress too much) but that was a doomed port in my opinion. Whale sharks are the big attraction and it’s not even the season. They’re basically shut down in the summer so it was a silly port choice by Azamara from the outset and I was very happy with the replacement port of Geraldton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk