Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:15 AM.
Yorkshire, UK
7,171 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
OP the only person that can make the decision is the concierge. Some automatically say no and some may say yes. We've had both scenarios. You won't know until you ask and whatever you do don't push the concierge if they say no.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
1,135 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
on teh GEM haven (same size) the valet knew everyone and is saw people get bounced who didnt belong.

yes, it doesnt hurt to ask the concierge. but there is a reason why there is about a $2k difference between a suite and a haven access suite. if everyone asked for this favor and it was granted, teh haven would be meaningless. if your friends wanted haven access they should have booked it. otherwise, tehy need to accept that there may be times where you guys want to use it and they will have to find osmethign else to do. or you give up your benefit to spend time with them elsewhere ont he ship.

this is why i would never pay for haven if i was traveling with others who were non-haven. you either sacrifice perks you paid for to be a good travel companion, or you ditch your friends and/or try to skirt the rules.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Sensation - Bahamas, January, 2011
NCL Star - Bermuda, July, 2012
NCL Breakaway - Bermuda, September, 2013
NCL Breakaway - Bahamas, April, 2014
NCL Epic - Western Caribbean, November, 2014
NCL Jewel - Western Caribbean, April, 2015
NCL Getaway - Eastern Caribbean, August, 2015
NCL Dawn - Western Caribbean, January, 2016
NCL Star - Baltics, May, 2016
NCL Sun - Alaska, September, 2016
NCL Gem - Eastern Caribbean, December, 2016 (New Year's Sail)
NCL Breakaway - Bermuda, May, 2017
NCL Jewel - Alaska, September, 2017

In the Works:
NCL Jade - 4 day to Cozumel, January, 2018
NCL Star - Panama Canal (West to East), April, 2018
NCL Dawn - Bermuda, July, 2018 (Tentative)
MSC Seaside - Eastern Caribbean, September, 2018 (Yacht Club!)
NCL Spirit - Italy and Greek Isles, October, 2018
NCL Escape - Bahamas, December, 2018 (New Year's Sail)
64 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by maja651
No, and not a good comparison in my opinion. First class are reserved seats, Haven access is not the same.
Wrong! The Haven is a reserved area for Haven guests, period.
Arizona
10,990 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
I’m a rule follower, so I’m in the camp that thinks non-Haven guests should not be allowed in The Haven. I always book aft penthouses on the smaller ships, so I don't have Haven access.

When someone asks for special dispensation on here, I will sometimes ask them a question. When someone wanted to allow her 3 friends to check in with her as Platinum (they weren’t Platinum), because they wanted Vibe passes, I asked how she would feel if I let 3 non-suite guests check in with me, because they wanted Vibe passes and because of my actions, she was unable to get a pass. Of course, no response. So, I’ll ask you. How would you feel if you went to The Haven and couldn’t find a lounger, because other Haven guests invited non-Haven guests in and they took up all the loungers? I know that you are looking to do it on a port day, but still the question is relevant, because if the Concierge allows one guest to bring guests, he/she should allow everyone to bring guests.

Some have reported on here that they have been able to bring guests to The Haven and some have reported that they were not allowed. I guess it all boils down to what you feel is the right thing to do and you, and only you, have the answer to that.

No matter what your decision is, I hope you have a wonderful cruise.
Tucson, AZ
1,374 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by BostonGal35
on teh GEM haven (same size) the valet knew everyone and is saw people get bounced who didnt belong.

yes, it doesnt hurt to ask the concierge. but there is a reason why there is about a $2k difference between a suite and a haven access suite. if everyone asked for this favor and it was granted, teh haven would be meaningless. if your friends wanted haven access they should have booked it. otherwise, tehy need to accept that there may be times where you guys want to use it and they will have to find osmethign else to do. or you give up your benefit to spend time with them elsewhere ont he ship.

this is why i would never pay for haven if i was traveling with others who were non-haven. you either sacrifice perks you paid for to be a good travel companion, or you ditch your friends and/or try to skirt the rules.
I completely agree with you, and like I said earlier in my posts, I understand and believe those in the Haven should have exclusivity. It is not like I am thinking of asking for them to have 100% access. Just one port day, on the sundeck, and really only one person. If it doesn't work out, it is not a big deal at all. In fact, also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, we may just enjoy our huge front facing balconies that day.
I agree also as to only booking the same level of cabin on a cruise on a ship. In fact, one of the friends was thinking of downgrading to a balcony from her suite, and I very much discouraged her to do that. I told her of all of the suite perks she would be losing, and ultimately that is what swayed her to stay put.

Regarding our particular sailing, it is a bit different, because our suite happens to have Haven access. I was not seeking out a Haven suite, we just wanted suites that had connecting doors, with more space than the normal 2 bedroom suite, as that bedroom is unacceptable for an adult, in our opinion. For that reason, my friend who is sailing solo, paid double for the front facing penthouse that connects to our suite. She is also a platinum plus NCL member, has sailed almost exclusively in suites, and very much understands the Haven and ship etiquette. Neither she nor I will freak out if the concierge says no. We sailed together last year in the Garden Villa on the Jewel over Christmas, so we know what the Jewel class Havens look like, although we didn't really use it for that sailing. It is really not that big of a deal. We just thought it could be nice to use the sun deck on the Roatan day. Can we use other sundecks? Yep, and we may just do that.

Thanks all for your feedback. I know this is a touchy subject. I definitely struck a nerve for some of you and you did the same right back at me. lol

Happy sailing!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michelle

Upcoming cruises:
NCL Pearl Owner's Suite - March 2018
NCL Dawn Garden Villa - March 2019 - back to back cruise in the GV!

Past Cruises:
NCL Jewel Garden Villa - December 2016
NCL Star Garden Villa - November 2015
NCL Getaway 2 bedroom Haven suite - June 2014
NCL Epic Aft Penthouse suite - April 2013
NCL Star Aft Penthouse suite - April 2011
NCL POA Balcony Cabin- April 2007
172 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by xriva
Yes, it is. The Haven is a reserved area of the ship. First Class is a reserved area of the plane. Just because there may be extra room doesn’t mean you can give access away. It’s like asking that your friends in coach be given First Class meals.

This should be a FAQ because people ask all the time, “Can my friends come into the Haven with me?” Yes, just have them book a Haven room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Mmmmmmm no, it really isn't comparable to asking for a first class seat or meal. It's more like a person in first class having a friend from coach come and stand and talk to them. And even that is a stretch because that person may be blocking someone's way to the lavatory or disturbing the quiet of someone sleeping.

I would say it is more akin to someone sneaking into the VIP check-in room at Bellagio or Aria, without having the penthouse suite reserved that allows such access. USUALLY there is plenty of space and no one really cares. Sometimes not. Should make a game time decision based on the situation at the time.
3 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
If I paid extra for the Haven and wanted to enjoy the sun deck on a port day in the perfect lounger that faced the sun and it was being used by a non Haven guest I would be pretty annoyed.
Central FL
3,291 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by NLH Arizona
When someone asks for special dispensation on here, I will sometimes ask them a question. When someone wanted to allow her 3 friends to check in with her as Platinum (they weren’t Platinum), because they wanted Vibe passes, I asked how she would feel if I let 3 non-suite guests check in with me, because they wanted Vibe passes and because of my actions, she was unable to get a pass. Of course, no response. So, I’ll ask you. How would you feel if you went to The Haven and couldn’t find a lounger, because other Haven guests invited non-Haven guests in and they took up all the loungers? I know that you are looking to do it on a port day, but still the question is relevant, because if the Concierge allows one guest to bring guests, he/she should allow everyone to bring guests.
I'm curious as to how everyone (not just the OP) would answer the same question.

Originally posted by DZcreature
If I paid extra for the Haven and wanted to enjoy the sun deck on a port day in the perfect lounger that faced the sun and it was being used by a non Haven guest I would be pretty annoyed.
There's one answer...
Manchester, UK
230 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by DZcreature

How would you *know* they were non-Haven though? Do you get introduced to every Haven guest when you board? Do you get temporary tattoos? Secret handshake?

If a particular sun lounger in a particular spot that you particularly wanted was taken you would be peeved whoever’s sweaty body was in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
172 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by alysonofagun
How would you *know* they were non-Haven though? Do you get introduced to every Haven guest when you board? Do you get temporary tattoos? Secret handshake?

If a particular sun lounger in a particular spot that you particularly wanted was taken you would be peeved whoever’s sweaty body was in it.

I'll bet he wouldn't if it were yours.
Dallas, TX
870 Posts
Joined Mar 2009

Only Haven passengers have key cards that open the Haven doors. So, in order to enter, you either have to be in the Haven, or you have to have a friend who believes all her circumstances are special.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Visit My Cruise Log and Notes (126 days at sea)

Carnival Freedom - Norwegian Breakaway - Norwegian Dawn - Norwegian Epic (x4) - Norwegian Getaway (x2) - Norwegian Jade (x2) - Norwegian Jewel - Norwegian Pearl (x2) - Norwegian Spirit
154 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
My wife and I are booked in a Non-Haven room on the Getaway.
We also booked and paid for a Haven Family suite for my son and his family on the same cruise.
Even though I paid for the room I do not feel we have any right to attempt to avail ourselves of the Haven facilities or any Haven amenities. Those rights are attached to the room and the occupants thereof.
Frozen Tundra
8,187 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
I will refer you to a post in which you answer your own question. I hope this helps.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show...73&postcount=4
Michelle/maja651: "It doesn't matter how many the suite holds or how many you actually booked in the suite. If you are in a Haven suite, you can use the Haven facilities. If you are not, you cannot. Imagine if everyone had a family member(s) that also wanted to do this? It would take away the exclusivity and less crowded space of the Haven."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCI Voyager of the Seas: Feb. 2001 Disney Magic: Dec. 2003 Disney Magic: Feb. 2005 Disney Magic: Dec. 2006
NCL Spirit: New Year's week Dec. 2009-'10 NCL Getaway: May 2014 NCL Epic: Nov. 2014
NCL Escape Transatlantic: Oct. 2015 NCL Escape: May 2016 NCL Breakaway: June 2017
Coming Soon: NCL Escape: May 2018
Tucson, AZ
1,374 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by LrgPizza
I will refer you to a post in which you answer your own question. I hope this helps.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show...73&postcount=4
Michelle/maja651: "It doesn't matter how many the suite holds or how many you actually booked in the suite. If you are in a Haven suite, you can use the Haven facilities. If you are not, you cannot. Imagine if everyone had a family member(s) that also wanted to do this? It would take away the exclusivity and less crowded space of the Haven."
Touché. I am flattered you took the time to research and find this quote. And, for the record, I do still believe that for most circumstances. You can read some of my earlier posts in this thread that allude to that. Again, thanks for the flattery.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michelle

Upcoming cruises:
NCL Pearl Owner's Suite - March 2018
NCL Dawn Garden Villa - March 2019 - back to back cruise in the GV!

Past Cruises:
NCL Jewel Garden Villa - December 2016
NCL Star Garden Villa - November 2015
NCL Getaway 2 bedroom Haven suite - June 2014
NCL Epic Aft Penthouse suite - April 2013
NCL Star Aft Penthouse suite - April 2011
NCL POA Balcony Cabin- April 2007
Point Pleasant, NJ
594 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
If your room key is not the appropriate color or if the room you are staying in does not start with an "H" you should not be in the Haven.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous Cruises:

1994 Regal Empress
1994 Celebrity Horizon
1995 Regal Empress
1996 RCCL-Monarch of the Seas
1996 Carnival Sensation
1996 NCL Seaward
1997 Carnival Fascination
1997 Carnival Imagination
1999 Carnival Inspiration
1999 Celebrity Century
2000 RCCL-Monarch of the Seas
2000 Dawn Princess
2001 Celebrity Century
2002 Ocean Princess
2003 RCCL-Adventure of the Seas
2004 Golden Princess
2005 Celebrity Constellation
2006 Crown Princess
2007 NCL Jewel
2007 NCL Gem
2008 NCL Pearl
2008 Celebrity Summit
2008 NCL Pearl
2009 NCL Gem
2009 RCCL- Serenade of the Seas
2010 Celebrity Summit
2010 NCL Epic
2011 NCL Gem
2012 RCCL-Adventure of the Seas
2014 NCL Getaway
2015 NCL Breakaway
2015 RCCL- Allure of the Seas
2016 RCCL-Adventure of the Seas
2016 NCL Breakaway
2017 NCL Jade
2017 NCL Escape
2017 NCL Dawn
Manchester, UK
230 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Here’s a question... what if the OP’s OH was to give up their Haven privileges so that her friend could use it that day...???

Nashville, TN (we moved, again)
21,051 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
Here’s a question... what if the OP’s OH was to give up their Haven privileges so that her friend could use it that day...???

Nope. Non transferable. Just like the drink package, and restaurant package. Not a bad question though.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RoundTheWorld Blog and Recent Cruises : www.rtw40.com
NCL Jade New England Oct 6-16, 2017 ...............Viking Sky - Feb 25,2017 Rome to Barcelona
Viking - Paris to Prague - Oct 20, 2016 .....Allure of the Seas-FTL to Barcelona 4/19/15 ......NCL Pearl -Seatle-Alaska 6/22/14

NCL Dawn - Tampa to Boston 4/27/14.......NCL Dawn-Boston-Bermuda RT 7/26/13 ..[Celebrity Reflection-Carribean 12/8/12
NCL Spirit New Orleans 3/28/10.................NCL Jade - Med to Miami 1/25/09...............NCL Pearl Miami-Panama-Seattle 4/13/08
NCL Spirit New Orleans 11/25/07...............NCL Spirit New England 9/30/07.................NCL Spirit -NYC , 9/29/07
NCL Sun from New Orleans 3/25/07..........NCL Jewel Barcelona-Miami 10/21/06.........QM2 from New York to England 4/15/06
Alaska via Princess Dawn 5/30/05..............Seabourn Pride: NY-FL-Nassau, 10/17/04...Alaska via Carnival Spirit 6/2/04
1,135 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
here's a thought too. OP's whole argument is that their room holds 4, and they only have 2 in it. and the other room holds X number but only has the solo in it.

we alll know tehy assign rooms and numbers based on life boat numbers. it is possible that the same is done with Haven rooms. if they only allow, say, 100 people in the Haven, then because they only put 2 people in their 4 room OS, that might have allowed a haven 2 bedroom to have the max of 6 people. had they put 4 people in the OS, that 2 bedroom suite may have shown up as sold out/unavailable to a family of 6. so i think the fact that they have less people in teh rooms is irrelevant. because i dont think tehyh would ever be able to allow maximum guest counts in every haven room. but i could be wrong.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Sensation - Bahamas, January, 2011
NCL Star - Bermuda, July, 2012
NCL Breakaway - Bermuda, September, 2013
NCL Breakaway - Bahamas, April, 2014
NCL Epic - Western Caribbean, November, 2014
NCL Jewel - Western Caribbean, April, 2015
NCL Getaway - Eastern Caribbean, August, 2015
NCL Dawn - Western Caribbean, January, 2016
NCL Star - Baltics, May, 2016
NCL Sun - Alaska, September, 2016
NCL Gem - Eastern Caribbean, December, 2016 (New Year's Sail)
NCL Breakaway - Bermuda, May, 2017
NCL Jewel - Alaska, September, 2017

In the Works:
NCL Jade - 4 day to Cozumel, January, 2018
NCL Star - Panama Canal (West to East), April, 2018
NCL Dawn - Bermuda, July, 2018 (Tentative)
MSC Seaside - Eastern Caribbean, September, 2018 (Yacht Club!)
NCL Spirit - Italy and Greek Isles, October, 2018
NCL Escape - Bahamas, December, 2018 (New Year's Sail)
Cincinnati
3,121 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by maja651
I still disagree that it is not the same at all. And, although my friends are not in Haven suites, as they are in cabins that are connecting to ours, with a connecting reservation, and are in FULL PRICE NON-UPSELL SUITES, I do think that this is a special circumstance. Whether or not I ask for it now is up in the air at this time. And, if I do ask, and the concierge says no, I will not be upset.

Respectfully - they are paying full price for suites, but not full price for haven suites. On our last cruise we looked into canceling our two rooms (for 3 people) and going in on a 2 bedroom suite together. Same 2 bedroom suite for 3 people; was $7,500 for non-haven and $10,000 for haven. So clearly, in this case, they are valuing haven access at $833 pp.

25 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
I'm on the same sailing, but not in the Haven. I'm stuck with an inside cabin. Please IM me. If your friends get into the Haven I might ask your concierge to let me into their room to use their balcony. I mean, nobody will be using it anyway.