Former NCL cruiser ready to jump ship for the Horizon in 2018

Sizzlechest

I’ve been cruising with NCL for a while and I’m going to make a switch. I want to try the Carnival Horizon in July 2018, but I need to get acclimated to Carnival.

Background

My first cruise was on Carnival back in 2011. I enjoyed the experience, but I noticed something about how Carnival ran things: they were like an American car company. They looked to maximize profit while delivering just enough value to be deemed acceptable. Entertainment involved a lot of audience participation, which is cheaper than hiring performers. Food quality was good, but not great. Outward appearances were great. Make sure every brass handrail is polished, but I got the feeling that behind the scenes, there were way more cut corners. (Two years later, the Triumph disaster seemed to confirm my assumptions.) I tried NCL for my next cruise and got a very different vibe. They were more like a Japanese car company. Sure they wanted to be as profitable as possible, but there was a line they didn’t want to cross. I started cruising exclusively with NCL for years. All was well, but NCL began to start turning the screws very, very slowly. Tiny cutbacks here and there and they kept multiplying over time. Perks would get cut without an adequate replacement to take its place. The final straw was my cruise with them last July. The service was friendly, but SLOW. It wasn’t a lack of effort by the workers. They simply must have cut back the number of employees. They also instituted a total ban on ANY bottled water and soda. My cruise was one of the last to allow it.

I was looking for another cruise line in the NY area. I did a search for cruises in July 2018 and found the Carnival Horizon. I see that it’s a brand new ship with lots of cool features. I’m interested in trying Carnival again, but I have some general questions.

FTTF

I want to try this, but the Carnival website says that it will not be available for the Horizon during its first two months. When does the Horizon officially begin sailing?

Entertainment

What’s the entertainment on this class of Carnival ship like? On the NCL Breakaway, they have a Broadway type production of Rock of Ages, a magician, a trapeze artist, and other music and dance attractions.

Specialty dining

Sorry if I’m using NCL vernacular. I’m referring to upcharge restaurants like the steakhouse. Do you make reservations prior to boarding? Can you do it online? Is it a flat fee or a la carte? NCL started to convert some of these locations to a la carte, which made them unattractive to me. I checked the Carnival website for the Horizon and it appears that it’s a flat fee. Is that true on their current ships?

Soda

I’m happy to see that Carnival has Coke products and includes Coke Zero on their ships. However, I like to bring cans on board so there’s something to drink in the room. Is there a 12-pack per person limit? What about bottled water? How’s the Bottomless Bubbles package? Are there machines on the ship or do you have to go to the bar? Is there a time limit in between drinks? Does every member of a room have to get it?

Schedule

What’s the typical Carnival schedule like? Do people post the daily schedules? On NCL, getting a hold of the “dailies” was maybe one of the most important things needed to plan my cruise properly.

NCL’s mantra of “freestyle cruising” is technically true, but not so in practice. Let me explain. Let’s say you wanted to do a 7-night cruise to Bermuda on the NCL Breakaway. You want to see a performance of Rock of Ages. You see the dailies from previous cruises and notice it’s shown twice on two different nights. The first two showings are on an “at sea” day and the second two showings are when you’re docked in Bermuda. Now, let’s also assume you want to be in Hamilton for “Hamilton Nights.” That means the second night is out. Okay, so you’ll make reservations for the first night it’s available. But wait… There are comedy shows later in the evening that will conflict with the second showing of Rock of Ages. Okay, so I’ll reserve the first showing, which is at 7pm. Ah, but what about dinner? In order to catch the show at 7pm, I’ll have to have dinner when it opens at 5:30pm. The main dining rooms do not take reservations, so if I want to make sure I can get to the theater and get a good seat, I will have to show up early to the dining room. Hang on… what if I KNEW that I wanted to try the upcharge steakhouse on the ship? I can’t make reservations for the main dining room, but I need to make reservations for specialty dining. Therefore, I should make my specialty dining reservation for the steakhouse on the SAME night as Rock of Ages at 5:30pm.

Planning a cruise is like playing Sudoku. You get some numbers (events) that are fixed and you have to fit everything around those fixed points until you have a solution. The July 2018 cruise on the Horizon is an 8 Night Eastern Caribbean cruise. Does anyone have the on-ship schedule from another ship with this itinerary?

Price drops

Price drops on NCL are tricky. Technically anything past final payment is “too bad, you lose.” I am lucky to have a great travel agent who would either get me a price adjustment, an upgrade, or OBC when the price drops. I heard Carnival adjusts the price up until sailing. Is this true?

Tell me the bad stuff

Listen… I already made up my mind that I’m going to try this cruise. I’m sold on it. So please, no cheerleading. Tell me what you DON’T like about Carnival. Tell me what’s gotten worse over the years. Lower my expectations; don’t raise them. You’ll be doing me a favor.

Welcome back to Carnival! I can answer a few questions for you. You don't have to get bottomless bubbles for everyone in the room (the way you do for a cheers package). You can bring 12 cans of soda onboard with you but you cannot bring bottled water. Carnival has made the water onboard much cheaper than previously when they took away this option so I don't mind this at all. I just order my water before I board (for like around $5 I think) and it is waiting for me in my room when I board. You do have to go to the bar as Carnival doesn't have the machines to my knowledge (unless this is something new on the Vista class as I haven't been on that class yet).

I think that you will find the shows on Carnival to still be lacking greatly when compared to NCL. I don't cruise for the shows so that doesn't bother me. I do like the comedy shows (but they venues are small so get there early).

You can either book the speciality dining beforehand or you can book once you board. I generally look over the funtimes for that itinerary and the dinner menus (if any kind person has uploaded them) and decide which night I will eat in the steakhouse (which is a flat fee of $35 including tip). Generally, I don't like the first night's menus as well so I eat in one of the speciality restaurants that night.

If you book under an easy saver rate, then you can get onboard credit up until the day of the sailings. Easy saver does have a $50 penalty if you need to rebook though so be aware of that.

The Havana rooms have special access to a pool which is not open to most of the general public during the day (so no worrying about chair hogs!)

Check out some Vista reviews with people who have Havana rooms. I cannot wait to book one!

The Havana rooms have special access to a pool which is not open to most of the general public during the day (so no worrying about chair hogs!)

Check out some Vista reviews with people who have Havana rooms. I cannot wait to book one!

I think you sold me! On NCL, there was an exclusive hot-tub/cabana area that was adults only called "The Vibe" that you had to pay for and a separate pool for people in the Haven. This sounds like a combination of the two and it's a lot more affordable and desirable!

Thank you. I see the rates for early booking. BTW, what's a "Havana Cabana" and why do I want it?

EDIT: Is is a 12-pack of soda per room or per person?

It is a 12 pack of canned soda per person.

It is a 12 pack of canned soda per person.

Great! That should be plenty.

I just booked a Havana Cabana "Balcony" (They should just call it a patio.)

On NCL, it was advantageous to pre-pay for your gratuities in case they ever decided to raise them before your sail date. The only downside was if you have refundable OBC since that could be used to pay for the gratuities on the ship. If I end up getting discounted Carnival gift cards, can those be used to pay gratuities while on board?

Thank you. I see the rates for early booking. BTW, what's a "Havana Cabana" and why do I want it?

EDIT: Is is a 12-pack of soda per room or per person?

you can see the Havana Cabanas on Youtube just key in the Vista Havana Cabana i have one on the Horizon can't wait to try it out. Welcome back to Carnival

you can see the Havana Cabanas on Youtube just key in the Vista Havana Cabana i have one on the Horizon can't wait to try it out. Welcome back to Carnival

Yes, I did. I was so impressed with the idea that I booked one ASAP. We're a party of 3 and there are only 3-4 balcony level rooms that can hold more than two people. I didn't want to miss out.

From a NCL perspective... The Havana Cabana "balcony" (more like a mini patio) room gets you access to amenities similar to the Vibe plus the Haven's private pool for $200 pp more than a balcony room.

For Specialty Dining:

Some is flat rate, some is a la carte.

Flat rate:

Steakhouse ($35/person)

Cucina del Capitano ($15/person)

Jiji's ($15/person)

Chef's table (I think this just went up. It does include several courses and lots of wine. It used to be $75/person. I think it's now $95/person?)

A la Carte:

Bonsai Sushi

Seafood Shack

Cherry on Top Sundaes

Coffee Bar

In my experience, the A la carte items are reasonably priced. My DH and I split a sushi boat for two for under $20.

Included:

Guy's Burgers

Blue Iguana

Lido Buffet

Guy's Pig and Anchor BBQ (sea days only)

Fresh Creations Salad Bar (Serenity Deck)

Dining Rooms (Set dining times and Your Time Dining are available)

JiJi at lunch (it serves food like like the Mongolian Wok on some other ships)

Cucina at lunch (Pasta Bar where you choose you pasta, sauce, protein, veggies, etc)

Taste Bar

Room Service:

Mix of complementary items and a la carte items (most are in the $5 range)

You might also want to check out the "new" American Table/Feast menus. The menus may look different than the last time you sailed. Some of the old items are there, and I actually like the new menus for the most part. The second "elegant night" is not my favorite, and we usually go somewhere else that night - we went to Cucina this past December on that night.

Most menus can be found on the website run by Zydecocruiser - including the specialty restaurant menus.

We've only sailed Carnival, and we have had some items we loved and some we didn't love. If we didn't love what we ate, we have always been able to find something else that we liked well enough.

Reservations - not 100% necessary but can be made by emailing the Maitre D' for the ship.

Welcome back to Carnival!

Price drops

Price drops on NCL are tricky. Technically anything past final payment is “too bad, you lose.” I am lucky to have a great travel agent who would either get me a price adjustment, an upgrade, or OBC when the price drops. I heard Carnival adjusts the price up until sailing. Is this true?

If you book Early Saver, you can get price drops up to 2 business days before sailing.

Just be aware that there are restrictions.

We always book ES and have been very happy with it.

• 1 month later...

I have always traveled with carnival and have always loved it. For that alone I didn't need to go else where. This would be my 7th cruise. It is very affordable. I went on Carnival vista last October from Barcelona. WE did the 10 days. It was absolutely fabulous. The only thing I did have a problem with was how slow their elevators were. It took forever. But, instead of waiting we took the stairs and in doing so I actually lost 3 pounds by the end of the cruise. I loved it so much that I decided to go on next years horizon.

I do recommend that you pre order the water bottles before. It is really worth it. I hear that things that were not up to par on vista was actually being improved on Horizon. The lobster shack is to die for but a little pricey 12-17 dollars, to me it was totally worth it. Just a heads up. Do not buy from there or refrain from purchasing anything on the ship when you have ported in Greece because of the insane tax surcharge or whatever surcharge it is that they charge you for.

The sky ride is insane. The food has always been either really great or just ok, but that is rare when that has been the case. I hope this helps. Happy sailing!

I sailed the Vista in April and the NCL Escape last April. MDR food quality on Vista was nowhere even close to that on the Escape. The buffet on the Vista (Horizon's sister ship) was the worst we've ever had. Small with little to choose from compared to NCL. Vista and Horizon pricing is very high so you won't be getting any deals. I booked 13 months out. NCL will include a free drink package that can be worth an endless amount of $$ .... You'll pay $900 (for two) for Cheers on Carnival and you aren't getting any freebies at all unlike NCL's free at sea promotion. There are cutbacks and nickle and diming on every line. Don't expect it to be any different on the Horizon, it wasn't on the Vista. If you haven't sailed the Escape I'd do that before the Vista or Horizon. I got way better pricing on NCL. After the Vista I'm done with Carnival for a long while. Back to the new NCL Bliss 15 day Panama Canal for 2019. We thought NCL had way less people that looked and acted like they crawled out of a sewer on board as well. It may not be nice to say but it is what it is. Less trashy people on NCL. That's my opinion, no one else's. Don't expect any price drop on the new Horizon. The Vista only went up and up. The Horizon was $1000 more for 2018 then the same one I just did in the same cabin and same trip on Vista. Did I talk you out of it yet? LOL! ;)

Edited by tallnthensome

I sailed the Vista in April and the NCL Escape last April. MDR food quality on Vista was nowhere even close to that on the Escape. The buffet on the Vista (Horizon's sister ship) was the worst we've ever had. Small with little to choose from compared to NCL. Vista and Horizon pricing is very high so you won't be getting any deals. I booked 13 months out. NCL will include a free drink package that can be worth an endless amount of $$ .... You'll pay $900 (for two) for Cheers on Carnival and you aren't getting any freebies at all unlike NCL's free at sea promotion. There are cutbacks and nickle and diming on every line. Don't expect it to be any different on the Horizon, it wasn't on the Vista. If you haven't sailed the Escape I'd do that before the Vista or Horizon. I got way better pricing on NCL. After the Vista I'm done with Carnival for a long while. Back to the new NCL Bliss 15 day Panama Canal for 2019. We thought NCL had way less people that looked and acted like they crawled out of a sewer on board as well. It may not be nice to say but it is what it is. Less trashy people on NCL. That's my opinion, no one else's. Don't expect any price drop on the new Horizon. The Vista only went up and up. The Horizon was $1000 more for 2018 then the same one I just did in the same cabin and same trip on Vista. Did I talk you out of it yet? LOL! ;)

Life is full of choices, that said, there is a reason for all the NCL freebies.... I take insult to bashing of Carnival cruisers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Life is full of choices, that said, there is a reason for all the NCL freebies.... I take insult to bashing of Carnival cruisers.

Did you crawl out of a sewer? Did your wife punch you in the face and knock your glasses off 30 feet across the deck? Was that you who was so drunk you passed out against the hot tub? Was that you wearing a cabin bathroom towel to the MDR? If this wasn't you on the Vista then I wouldn't take offense to it ........ Remember, we were asked to lower their expectations btw ......

Stand by my comments. Been on 34 Carnival cruises and have not seen any of that, nor will anyone else.

Sure Jimbo, millions of passengers a year and no one will ever see anything of the likes because you said so. Perhaps if you left your cabin for a bit maybe?

Stand by my comments. Been on 34 Carnival cruises and have not seen any of that, nor will anyone else.

Too broad a statement, I'm sure that it has happened since people have seen it. I don't believe it happens as frequently as some say it does, but I'm sure that those types of things do happen (but of course they also happen on other lines).

OP, I have always found the two lines to be more alike than different although I haven't sailed on the newer/bigger ships.

Too broad a statement, I'm sure that it has happened since people have seen it. I don't believe it happens as frequently as some say it does, but I'm sure that those types of things do happen
This stuff does happen. All you have to do is read the "what's the craziest thing you've seen" thread. Can't deny all those people's observations.

This stuff does happen. All you have to do is read the "what's the craziest thing you've seen" thread. Can't deny all those people's observations.

Yes, as I said it does happen and it happens on other lines also.

Too broad a statement, I'm sure that it has happened since people have seen it. I don't believe it happens as frequently as some say it does, but I'm sure that those types of things do happen (but of course they also happen on other lines).

OP, I have always found the two lines to be more alike than different although I haven't sailed on the newer/bigger ships.

You are correct, it happens on every line...in rare instances. The post was biased and at the very least misleading, meant as a slam against people who would lower themselves to cruising Carnival. Just more negativity and bashing which is not needed on this thread or any other on CC.

You are correct, it happens on every line...in rare instances. The post was biased and at the very least misleading, meant as a slam against people who would lower themselves to cruising Carnival. Just more negativity and bashing which is not needed on this thread or any other on CC.
This is not your thread. The OP asked for no cheerleading, what we didn't like about Carnival and to lower their expectations. Someone does this for the OP and you get all bent out of shape. Someone says something YOU don't like. My kids and I saw what we saw on the Vista and what we didn't see on the NCL Escape whether you like it or not. I gave my opinion and it matters not if you like it.

Carnival Plat cruiser here and I am looking to start sailing more with NCL and MSC, will keep carnival for the cheap ones out of Long Beach. Carnival has been turning into literally a Carnival
Me too! MSC Seaside in 2018 and the NCL Bliss booked for 2019.