Wine question on Crystal Symphony ....

Crystal Cruises
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:18 PM.
#1
IL
185 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
We are taking our first ever Crystal cruise next month on the refurbished Crystal Symphony from Lisbon to Rome. Can some of you seasoned cruisers on Crystal tell us whether local or regional wines are served on this or other Crystal ocean cruises? We know Crystal has an extensive optional wine list but haven't heard or read about local wines being served. I'm referring to the complimentary wines served each evening. Thanks.
#2
101,415 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Congratulations on your first Crystal Cruise.

Crystal does pick up local wines based on where it's sailing. For example local wines of Argentina and Chile when sailing South America, South African wines when sailing South Africa, Australian and New Zealand wines when sailing these areas and so forth. Crystal will pick up some European Wines when sailing this area but they change often. You will like find wines from Italy, France, and Spain. Some you find on all sailings but on European ones you will find more of these For example a Chablis from France. Again the precise wines will vary including the type of wine and the vineyard year over year.

Keith
#3
1,599 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Originally posted by YWW
We are taking our first ever Crystal cruise next month on the refurbished Crystal Symphony from Lisbon to Rome. Can some of you seasoned cruisers on Crystal tell us whether local or regional wines are served on this or other Crystal ocean cruises? We know Crystal has an extensive optional wine list but haven't heard or read about local wines being served. I'm referring to the complimentary wines served each evening. Thanks.

I have been on Crystal throughout the Med, S. America and N. America and have never had local wines served as the free pour. I have bought local wines myself and enjoyed them onboard in my cabin and in the MDR. Crystal's free pours are nice enough and I have bought them when I return home for about 10.00-13.00. Their free pours are from all over the world. I've had some nice Spanish blends as well as nice whites from Chile served in the MDR.
#4
IL
185 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
Originally posted by Keith1010
Congratulations on your first Crystal Cruise.

Crystal does pick up local wines based on where it's sailing. For example local wines of Argentina and Chile when sailing South America, South African wines when sailing South Africa, Australian and New Zealand wines when sailing these areas and so forth. Crystal will pick up some European Wines when sailing this area but they change often. You will like find wines from Italy, France, and Spain. Some you find on all sailings but on European ones you will find more of these For example a Chablis from France. Again the precise wines will vary including the type of wine and the vineyard year over year.

Keith
Thanks Keith. Guessing the waiter or sommelier will let us know our choices.
#5
101,415 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by YWW
Thanks Keith. Guessing the waiter or sommelier will let us know our choices.
Yes, each night the Sommelier will come around with the inclusive wines for that evening (they change nightly on a typical voyage) but there is an entire list so if you don't care for the ones for the evening just ask what others they have on board.

Keith
#7
161 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Congratulations on you first Crystal Cruise, you are in for a real treat and I will be interested to hear your impressions. With regards to the wine, please note that in the MDR for lunch and for dinner there is usually only one choice of a white and red wine selected by the Sommelier to best match the food for that particular service. It is good for you to know, as Keith mentions, that you can request any of the all-inclusive wines at any time anywhere on the ship. Your waiter/bartender/Sommelier will be more than happy to grab a bottle (or two or three!) for you to enjoy with your meal or pre-dinner drink etc. The best way to see which wines are being poured on your cruise is to go to the Crystal Cove (or any bar for that matter) and ask one of the bartenders for the Complimentary Wine Selection list. I usually snap a photo of it on my iPhone so that I have it handy. I initially try many of the wines, but always end up landing on a few that I will order consistently throughout the cruise. Generally speaking, all the wines are pretty good. Another wine tip is that Prego and Silk Road have complimentary wines specific to those dining venues which dont appear on the Complimentary List so look out for those. From memory the Chardonnay in Silk Road is quite good as well as the Italian wines served in Prego. I will try post a few photos of a wine list from a recent cruise I was on in NZ earlier this year. The C-Reserve wines, which are Crystal labeled wines, are typically very good. Enjoy!
#9
IL
185 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
Originally posted by Fly Fast Cruise Slow
Congratulations on you first Crystal Cruise, you are in for a real treat and I will be interested to hear your impressions. With regards to the wine, please note that in the MDR for lunch and for dinner there is usually only one choice of a white and red wine selected by the Sommelier to best match the food for that particular service. It is good for you to know, as Keith mentions, that you can request any of the all-inclusive wines at any time anywhere on the ship. Your waiter/bartender/Sommelier will be more than happy to grab a bottle (or two or three!) for you to enjoy with your meal or pre-dinner drink etc. The best way to see which wines are being poured on your cruise is to go to the Crystal Cove (or any bar for that matter) and ask one of the bartenders for the Complimentary Wine Selection list. I usually snap a photo of it on my iPhone so that I have it handy. I initially try many of the wines, but always end up landing on a few that I will order consistently throughout the cruise. Generally speaking, all the wines are pretty good. Another wine tip is that Prego and Silk Road have complimentary wines specific to those dining venues which dont appear on the Complimentary List so look out for those. From memory the Chardonnay in Silk Road is quite good as well as the Italian wines served in Prego. I will try post a few photos of a wine list from a recent cruise I was on in NZ earlier this year. The C-Reserve wines, which are Crystal labeled wines, are typically very good. Enjoy!
Thank you so much for your tip as well as the wine list. Will definitely look into it. To us, sampling local or regional wines is part of the fun in cruising or traveling especially in Europe where wine is plentiful and quite reasonable. We got spoiled in early August when we took our first ever Viking river cruise in the French Bordeaux wine region where only local wines were poured.
#10
101,415 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
YWW, I'm with you. bBefore inclusive we used to purchase wines in port from time to time to have something local. It was fun to go by a wine shop with someone knowledgeable. Sometimes I would ask the Sommelier's for suggestion. Back then you paid a corkage fee. Even today sometimes we might purchase a local wine and there is no corkage fee but we have been very happy with the inclusive wines and that in some of the places I mentioned earlier that the inclusive wines will include some regional wines.

Especially during dinner I like to change it up and try wines that I might not usually try. This way I discover new vineyards and/or realize that a particular wine is one I should be having. Like you said it's all part of the fun.

Same goes for the menu. There are times that it features cuisine that is local to where we are sailing and even some food items. (eg., South African Lobster, or a local fish, etc.).

Keith
#11
Sydney, Australia
6,271 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Originally posted by Fly Fast Cruise Slow
Wine lists from NZ 2017 cruise...



Thanks for posting - good to see some NZ wines on the all inclusive list. We did a NZ cruise on Crystal back in late 2014 and despite visiting MRlborough they had no NZ wines included in the inclusive list although they had Cloudy Bay Sauv Blanc on the list to purchase at a reasonable price. But when we did the holiday cruise over New Year 2016/2017 we were pleased to see they had added NZ wines
One comment I’d make is that I’m surprised those Sauvignon Blancs are so old - 2014 served in 2017 is unusual IMHO. Ara and Peter Yealands are nice vineyards though - in fact the Ara has become our quaffing wine of choice now
#12
Oregon
1,284 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Peter Yealand fans at our house. We discovered it on Crystal. Now it is my favorite. Very reasonably priced at home too.
#13
Reading PA
193 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
We found if you take an interest and engage with your Sommelier, you will be in for all sort of samples and treats not on the ordinary lists. We've had Sommeliers send bottles to our room of dry roses that we loved. So surprised to see a California White Zinfandel on that list. Envious of your Lisbon trip...we were scheduled for the Lisbon / Bordeaux Symphony trip which was canceled due to the dry dock. OH well, gave us the opportunity to go on the Trans Pacific on Serenity and join Symphony for the New Zealand trip and sample those great wineries!


Sent from my iPad using Forums