Sailing Breakaway out of NY?

jsf

We are thinking of trying Breakaway out of NY and would like some help. We have cruised many times on RCCL and Celebrity,can anyone compare? What airport should we fly into for quickest boarding?

Any other help would come in handy.

J.

Any of the airports will work, depends what your priority is going to be? price? flying in the same day? NYC touring?

There are a lot of similarities between the cruise lines. I'd suggest reading through several Breakaway reviews. I happen to like the ship.

Any of the airports will work, depends what your priority is going to be? price? flying in the same day? NYC touring?

There are a lot of similarities between the cruise lines. I'd suggest reading through several Breakaway reviews. I happen to like the ship.

I agree with BQ here. If you are flying in early on the morning of a weekend departure (the Breakaway typically departs on Sunday's), the traffic around the city is pretty tame. I pass Newark Airport on my way to the cruise terminal and that's typically a half hour or less. My guess is Laguardia would be similar with JFK being a bit longer, but again, early on a weekend morning it won't be bad.

We are a long time fans of Royal Caribbean and celebrity but chose Breakaway this summer because of its convenience in boarding from downtown Manhattan. We actually stayed at a hotel on W. 48th St. and walked to the pier Sunday morning it was very easy. We also walked from the ship to Penn station when we returned the following week. If you flying into Newark , you can take a train into Penn station. Breakaway has many nice features one of the best is the thermal suite. We will go on Breakaway again to Bermuda but I would continue with Royal Caribbean and celebrity for all other destinations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is OP's timeframe for booking & cruising - BA sailing up to 4 different itinerary: PC/Florida, GSC & Nassau (7 days) or West Caribbean (10 to 14 days) or Bermuda (7 days) or briefly in the Fall (New England/Canada)

Oceanviews & Insides are smaller in size vs. Royal & X, well designed in layout & storage, just not a lot of elbow rooms. Balcony is the smallest but interior is okay, nice twin-size convertible sofa-day bed, bathroom is good size but overall, still smaller compared to others (all 3 categories only get a storage stool to sit, in front of the dresser/table) ... not comparing Haven/suites, etc.

Food comparisions are difficult, personal & highly subjective - without surcharges (if offered at all) - shrimp cocktails, smoked salmon & lobster tails are not to be expected (with rare/limited exceptions as someone will surely insist) ... best to look at recent reviews. My guess, from past several years, expect more changes (carry-on soda & water ban) in early Spring ... usually fleetwide & BA seemed to be the "white rabbit" to pilot by testing things out first.

Ground transportation cost differential between LGA and JFK to midtown/cruise terminal with flat-rate pricing via major car service is just $10 higher for the latter airport + a toll of $5.54 now / soon + to $7.7x) However, JFK as int'l airport has 2 long runway and less prone to air traffic delays vs. LGA's shorter runway by 3,000 to 5,000 ft. - we fly mostly out of JFK even though it's a lot further to us. LGA also served by smaller regional jets and prone to cancellations from short-haul partner carriers. Both airport is serviced by mass transit if you pack & travel iight and can manage luggage, steps, elevators & stairs and comfortable with transfers & walking (or, the last short segment with a $10 to 15 taxi ride)

More discussions, Q&A on East Coast Departure subforum here on CC - key is to add airfares + ground transportation costs.

Edited by mking8288

We are thinking of trying Breakaway out of NY and would like some help. We have cruised many times on RCCL and Celebrity,can anyone compare? What airport should we fly into for quickest boarding?

Any other help would come in handy.

J.

Either JFK or EWR (Newark).

Depending on your budget for hotel - if you're staying the night before - you have many options. We chose to fly into EWR and stay in NJ the night before. It was hundreds of dollars cheaper for a nice Embassy Suites and the ride from Secaucus to the port in the morning took less than 20 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote

Food comparisions are difficult, personal & highly subjective - without surcharges (if offered at all) - shrimp cocktails, smoked salmon & lobster tails are not to be expected (with rare/limited exceptions as someone will surely insist) ... best to look at recent reviews. My guess, from past several years, expect more changes (carry-on soda & water ban) in early Spring ... usually fleetwide & BA seemed to be the "white rabbit" to pilot by testing things out first.

What, you can't bring bottled water on anymore??? That is ridiculous!

Sorry if this was already mentioned but there is a lot of construction going on at LaGuardia affecting the traffic big-time and will continue for a very long time. It's a major overhaul of the entire airport. So I would steer clear of LGA.

Agreed. I will do a LOT to avoid LGA until the construction is finished. It's a mess & takes forever due to the insane traffic.

If you must fly in the day of, which is a bad idea to begin with, because you are talking about 3 airports at the bottom of the on time ratings for all US APs, JFK is your best option because it has the most public transportation options into Manhattan in the event the roads are screwed up for some reason.

If you fly into Manhattan the night before you can make a long weekend of it and stay at this really cool hotel:

http://www.yotel.com/en/hotels/yotel-new-york

It's also close to the port, so bonus points :) I think we could see it from the ship last time. If you do a summer cruise Yotel has a really cool balcony rooms with outdoor hot tubs.

The biggest difference IMHO is the pool area on NCL ships and in particular Breakaway pool. If you are a pool lover on sea days its hard to get accustomed to. There are alternate areas that are very cool, but if you like big pools, NCL Breakway is not big pool arena.

Edited by MizDemeanor