Cabanas on Castaway Cay?

Truffle

This will be our first DCL Cruise. I have been told that there are cabanas to rent on CC but that they are pricey and almost impossible to get, especially for newcomers to the line. Has anyone rented one and what was your opinion? I’d love to rent one for one of our CC days but it is really discouraging to hear that it will be next to impossible to get one. I would hope that, although it is a perk for repeat customers to be able to book further in advance, they might at least hold a small number so that we newcomers might have SOME chance? Why would they want to make your early experiences discouraging? :(:loudcry:

This will be our first DCL Cruise. I have been told that there are cabanas to rent on CC but that they are pricey and almost impossible to get, especially for newcomers to the line. Has anyone rented one and what was your opinion? I’d love to rent one for one of our CC days but it is really discouraging to hear that it will be next to impossible to get one. I would hope that, although it is a perk for repeat customers to be able to book further in advance, they might at least hold a small number so that we newcomers might have SOME chance? Why would they want to make your early experiences discouraging? :(:loudcry:

As there are only 25 cabanas (21 on the Family beach, and 4 on Serenity Bay) with ship passenger loads of 2,000-4,000, it's practically impossible for first time Disney cruisers to get one.

Not impossible, however.

They do not "hold any back" for newcomers. But, since cabanas are not paid for until the cruise begins, there are people who reserve them "just in case" and then let them go as they closer to the actual pay date.

Keep an eye on the reservations for the cabanas, random days, random times of day. Something may open up.

Cost for the cabanas are pretty pricey (in my opinion):

• CABANAS (12/18/14 price w/Bahamas 7.5% VAT)

Family beach: $549 $590.18 (Sep-Mar) $599 $643.93 (Apr-Sept )

Cabana #21 $ 899 $966.43

Serenity Bay: $399 $428.93

Price includes up to 6 guests on the Family Beachand up to 4 guests on Serenity Bay, additional $50 perperson (plus VAT) up to a Maximum of 10 guests. Cabana #21 on Family Beach price is for up to10 people with a $50 per person additional up to a maximum of 16.

Between concierge level guests and a possible wedding party, it can be hard for anyone else to get a cabana. On the other hand, I did 10+ trips to Castaway Cay before the cabanas existed and will testify that you don't need one to have a great day.

It is possible for anyone to get one, even as late as after boarding the ship. If you want one, go to the Port Adventures desk. They will take your name and if anyone wants to give up one that they've reserved, you'll be notified.

Prior to boarding, keep checking on line. People DO decide that they are a "not needed" expense and give them up. It is simply a matter of you being the first person to see it after someone has relinquished one.

I've been there 5 times, and got a Cabana on Serenity Bay twice. They are snatched up, and Disney doesn't charge you until the cruise, so a lot of people will book one and cancel it. Watch your cruise daily, or twice a day, and they will pop up. We are Gold, and they were booked when I first tried, but I'm pretty confident one will pop up. The last time we were there Spring Break, only two of the Serenity Bay ones were booked, two were actually empty.

It is often easier to get one on Serenity Bay rather than the family beach because this is one area where "adults only" is strictly enforced. If you are cruising with a person under 18, you don't want one on Serenity Bay.

And exactly as N42EF said, keep checking on line. It is just a matter of being the first person to request one after it opens up. You never know when someone is going to decide that they don't want what they have reserved and cancel it. FWIW, the same thing goes for excursions--if something you want is full, keep checking.