Need Help Regarding Milford, Doubtful & Dusky Sound While Cruising

We are sailing on the Raddiance of the Seas(RCCL) on March 18,2018. This is our first Sydney/New Zealand cruise. The only tour excursion available for these three ports is a 20-hour overnight priced at $700.00 per person. You get off the ship in Milford Sound and return to the ship the following date in Dunedin. We know that this tour goes to great sights in NZ but find it too expensive. Our question to those that have been on this itinerary is as follows: If you choose to stay on the ship and sail to through these three ports in one day, what can you expect regarding sights while cruising? Keep in mind that there is a one-hour stop at each port and passengers aren't permitted to disembark (except those going on the 20-hour tour and disembarking in Milford Sound). I can't believe that most of the 2,000 plus passengers will be disembarking and going on this expensive tour. I've contacted RCCL and did not get much information. Just the itinerary for the 20-hour tour. Your help, advise and input will be highly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

Hi there.

The ship does not stop at these locations, except to disembark passengers who choose to do the overland tour. The rest of the time, the ship is moving throughout the sounds/fjords; allowing passengers to take in the sights and experience the scenery from onboard the ship.

At some spots, like waterfalls, the captain will nose the ship in for a close up look, or spin the ship to provide a better view to all.

My advice is to stay up top, or forward on the heli pad. Prepare yourself for rain and cold weather as is common for that area. I was there a year ago, in summer, and our day in the sounds was very chilly and very misty and wet. It added to the ambience. On our cruise, only a handful, I would say 4-6 passengers, disembarked for the overland tour. I was on Radiance for that trip also.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your reply. It has helped me clarify this segment of the cruise. Your tips are also highly appreciated. I wonder why RCCl could or would not give me a precise reply like you did?

Happy Cruising.

You’re welcome! Happy cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will add that I have heard good reports about the overland tour, but it is expensive. We have not done it, mainly because we have travelled that area by land independently. Cruising through the Sounds is lovely, but (as mentioned) it can be cold. It can also be bright and sunny, but still chilly.

I have just completed the cruise on Radiance through the Sounds. I did not even know that that expensive tour existed, but would have stayed on the ship anyway.

I went to the helipad for Milford Sound but it was cold, raining and windy, so I retreated to my balcony.

The weather was great for the rest of the day.

. I wonder why RCCl could or would not give me a precise reply like you did?

Unfortunately many of the cruiseline office agents just aren't in a position to know about many things - lucky for all of us we have each other :D

I just want to add one thing to the great info provided in the replies. I recommend that you be on deck (heli-pad is best) for the sail into Milford. It will be early morning & the Captain will advise the timing for the ship to meet the pilot the day before. We were there when the pilot pulled alongside & for the approach to Milford (& the next hour or so before we went to eat). It was an experience to behold, with the sun rising over the cliffs. Now it was freezing, so we all had jackets and beanies & they had coffee set-up for us, along with some fortifying beverages.

We will again sail thru the sounds on Radiance in about a year from now, but this time we will be travelling in the reverse order, so Milford will be late in the day - who knows how that will look. Can't wait :D

It looks just as stunning in the afternoons!

The key is to be up on deck as the ship approaches the sound. That way you get the full impact of the scenery. Try to be on the port side and look out for the seals on Seal Rock a little way into the sound.

Milford is the only sound where the ship pauses, turns around, and comes back out the same way. The other two sounds are transits as both link to another sound or passage.

If you search this forum you will find other threads about this overland tour which Celebrity do as well.

We were on a cruise about 80 people did the overland tour and raved about it. Believed it was worth the cost.

My only comment would be, if you are not intending to return to New Zealand for either a very long time, or never - DO IT!

As a Kiwi we visited Queenstown a few years ago for the first time in 40 odd years and were blown away by the scenery etc. We will go back some time.

Hi Folks

I tried to upload a picture but failed , our Xmas trip though the sounds was very good , we stayed on our aft balcony and just let the views expand behind us .

Sitting in deckchair enjoying a G&T is a great way to see the sights

Best regards

John

I’ll be cruising in April on radiance through the sounds. I’ve cruised this before on the sun princess and it was amazing. Be up early and enjoy every moment of it. Take a warm weather proof jacket. It’s one of the most scenic places in the world.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you search this forum you will find other threads about this overland tour which Celebrity do as well.

We were on a cruise about 80 people did the overland tour and raved about it. Believed it was worth the cost.

My only comment would be, if you are not intending to return to New Zealand for either a very long time, or never - DO IT!

As a Kiwi we visited Queenstown a few years ago for the first time in 40 odd years and were blown away by the scenery etc. We will go back some time.

The overland tour sounds fabulous - but then we wouldn't get to see the waterfalls/sounds, etc. Is it that much better - worth missing the sights from the ship? I'm sure it's a personal preference - but just wanted opinions from others as I can't decide which would be better for us. We are going a year from now and I'm sure we won't go back as there are so many other places we also want to see - so want to make the right choices for probably our only trip to the area. Thanks.

The overland tour sounds fabulous - but then we wouldn't get to see the waterfalls/sounds, etc. Is it that much better - worth missing the sights from the ship? I'm sure it's a personal preference - but just wanted opinions from others as I can't decide which would be better for us. We are going a year from now and I'm sure we won't go back as there are so many other places we also want to see - so want to make the right choices for probably our only trip to the area. Thanks.

As you say, it really is a subjective thing, only you can decide if you do it or not or if you will regret it or not. Personally I would say, you picked a cruise and not a fly stay land tour to visit NZ so stay on the ship and see the sounds, the money saved by not dong the trip will more than make up for doing other things or even going towards the next visit.:D

Depending on how how rain Milford Sound has had and how the waterfalls are going the Raddiance of the Seas is know to put her bow in to a waterfall. ( I have seen photos of this happing on the internet and on Facebook/Twitter.)

This would be amazing!

I loved our last cruise on the radiance to the Pacific islands and can’t wait to cruise her in New Zealand.

You still get to see Milford Sound and the waterfalls. Sure, the other sounds are beautiful but Milford is the most spectacular one. Plus the drive into or out of Milford is pretty amazing, and Queenstown is gorgeous. If this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip to NZ and you can't do land travel in NZ before or after the cruise then do the excursion.

You still get to see Milford Sound and the waterfalls. Sure, the other sounds are beautiful but Milford is the most spectacular one. Plus the drive into or out of Milford is pretty amazing, and Queenstown is gorgeous. If this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip to NZ and you can't do land travel in NZ before or after the cruise then do the excursion.

I agree with those comments. :D If you are going to do the land excursion, make sure you are packed and ready to go so you can be on deck to enjoy the scenery as the ship enters Milford Sound and travels deeper into the fjord. From land you will see the classic view of Mitre Peak. From ships in the sound, it is close-by and not as spectacular as it is from the village at the end of Milford Sound where you will land.

I agree with those comments. :D If you are going to do the land excursion, make sure you are packed and ready to go so you can be on deck to enjoy the scenery as the ship enters Milford Sound and travels deeper into the fjord. From land you will see the classic view of Mitre Peak. From ships in the sound, it is close-by and not as spectacular as it is from the village at the end of Milford Sound where you will land.
It really is a lovely drive along there.

Thanks for all of the helpful ideas. I'm going to look into the land tour - not only what we will see, but what we will miss if we take it. Thanks again!

You only miss sailing through the other sounds (Doubtful and Dusky). They are lovely, but nowhere as spectacular as Milford that you will see on the way in. You don't have to see it on the way out also! I feel the extra sights on the land tour more than compensate for missing Doubtful and Dusky sounds. There is nothing to be seen as the ship sails from the Sounds around the southern tip of NZ to Dunedin.