Which ship for first Alaska cruise?

LuvTheSea14

Yes, the Sun itinerary is different from the others, so if you want to go further North then that may be the one.

The other two are Seattle round trips. I consider the Pearl itinerary to be slightly better as it goes to Glacier Bay.

Obviously, there is quite a difference between the Pearl and the Bliss, so if the round trip is the better itinerary for you then you need to consider whether you would prefer a new, bigger ship with more bells and whistles, or a smaller one which has a quieter atmosphere, but less choices for entertainment, dining etc.

Edited by KeithJenner

We are planning to take our first Alaska cruise in June, 2018. Our choices are the new Bliss, the Pearl or the Sun. Any suggestions on which ship we should choose? Thank you!!

Never been on NCL. If I was going on NCL I would probably chose the Bliss out of Seattle.

I would recommend leaving out of Vancouver for both roundtrip and one-way journeys (whichever your preference). I would also look at Princess or Holland America. We went on our first Alaskan cruise last year on Holland America's Noordam and had a wonderful time. The quiet, refined atmosphere of Holland America just seemed right for an Alaskan cruise, and the food in the dining room was probably the best we've experienced.

I would recommend leaving out of Vancouver for both roundtrip and one-way journeys (whichever your preference). I would also look at Princess or Holland America. We went on our first Alaskan cruise last year on Holland America's Noordam and had a wonderful time. The quiet, refined atmosphere of Holland America just seemed right for an Alaskan cruise, and the food in the dining room was probably the best we've experienced.

In my opinion Holland America is far inferior to NCL. Old school traditional dining, yuck! I don't like to dress up when I am at home so why would I want to dress up on vacation? If you want to eat in the main dining room you are FORCED to eat at the same time EVERY evening a the table they tell you that you HAVE to sit at with total strangers you may or may not care for. Your other option.....buffet.....pretty much it.

There are many different opinions about different cruise lines and Freestyle works perfect for us. But of course you question was only regarding NCL and other cruise lines need not be brought up IMO.

To answer the OP's question, we have really enjoyed the Pearl and her itinerary. If you are only going to do Alaska once I think that is the way to go as you can focus on all the beauty of Alaska, Glacier Bay and the Inside Passage (northern leg).

I will be trying the Bliss eventually but I see that being more of a focus inward towards the ship. I could be wrong and I will find out but I know that the Pearl up to Glacier Bay is amazing.

Edited by kdzkatz

This is a tough choice. Indecision has clouded our vision in this regard. Although we are booked on the inaugural sailing of the Bliss Alaska itinerary, our first NCL cruise was Alaska on the Pearl. We have never looked back at another cruise line since. We are actually on the Pearl now, and were on the Getaway last week. We did this as a comparison to big vs. small ship. I have to say, we are enjoying the Pearl a bit more due to the smaller size and less chaotic feeling of having less people aboard. It was mentioned that Glacier Bay is not a guarantee, in fact, the Pearl Captain mentioned this yesterday at the Latitudes Party. His exact words, "not sure how a big ship like that will get through the fiords and Glacier Bay", which in itself is an incredible experience. The ports, are identical though, aside from Glacier Bay.

I am a sucker for the new ships now, we have become addicted to the new ship feeling, but still like the more homey feeling of the smaller ones. After taking you around our maypole, I would reccomend Pearl for your first Alaska experience. Carol agrees! :)

Edited by craig-n-carol
Sp.

In my opinion Holland America is far inferior to NCL. Old school traditional dining, yuck! I don't like to dress up when I am at home so why would I want to dress up on vacation? If you want to eat in the main dining room you are FORCED to eat at the same time EVERY evening a the table they tell you that you HAVE to sit at with total strangers you may or may not care for. Your other option.....buffet.....pretty much it.

There are many different opinions about different cruise lines and Freestyle works perfect for us. But of course you question was only regarding NCL and other cruise lines need not be brought up IMO.

Well opinions are just that. To each, his own. But facts are something else entirely. On Holland, you are not forced to eat at the same time each night. Holland offers both fixed and anytime dining. We had a party of three and enjoyed a 4-top to ourselves all seven nights, at whatever time we wanted, with no wait. We did find ourselves requesting the same table, however, as our serving team was phenomenal.

I don't necessarily like having to dress up, but it didn't kill me to put on dress pants and a dinner jacket. Like I said before, the swank feel and vibe of Holland paired well with Alaska.

Overall, we had a nice, relaxing time. Our fondest memories were sitting on our balcony under a blanket, while enjoying hot tea and snacks brought by room service.

My original comment urged the OP to consider other lines for Alaska. I was just trying to be helpful. If you don't like a comment or feel it is off topic, the best strategy is to ignore it. IMO.

Edited by stickey_mouse

Well opinions are just that. To each, his own. But facts are something else entirely. On Holland, you are not forced to eat at the same time each night. Holland offers both fixed and anytime dining. We had a party of three and enjoyed a 4-top to ourselves all seven nights, at whatever time we wanted, with no wait. We did find ourselves requesting the same table, however, as our serving team was phenomenal.

I don't necessarily like having to dress up, but it didn't kill me to put on dress pants and a dinner jacket. Like I said before, the swank feel and vibe of Holland paired well with Alaska.

Overall, we had a nice, relaxing time. Our fondest memories were sitting on our balcony under a blanket, while enjoying hot tea and snacks brought by room service.

My original comment urged the OP to consider other lines for Alaska. I was just trying to be helpful. If you don't like a comment or feel it is off topic, the best strategy is to ignore it. IMO.

You were just offering your own experiences and I should not have stepped on your toes. I do apologize.

I definitely agree it is wonderful to have a balcony if possible on your Alaska cruise.

Edited by kdzkatz

We sailed on the Pearl to Alaska. Based on this cruise she became our favorite NCL ship. Timing and places has been off since so we have not returned to sail on her. The ship, the employees, the scenery all got a five-star rating. Book nothing less than a balcony so you can sit and enjoy Alaska while get ready...if you enjoy adult beverages they will bring "Glacier Beverages" to your cabin. Hot drinks spiked with "adult beverage". We selected the times and had one every hour! When the ship turned around we did go topside for additional viewing. There was someone talking about the glacier and we kept our cabin door ajar to hear him better.

Overall you want to see which ship visits more glaciers/fiords, a smaller ship can probably go further up a bay or fjord than a larger ship.

My first Alaskan cruise was the end of June and it was great the days went until about 10 PM which will make the freestyle dining even better.

I would also recommend a balcony if that is your thing and check to see which side will work better for you.

We've been talking about an Alaskan cruise for a few years. We like NCL so compared the July 2018 cruises and went with the Sun northbound itinerary. I'm happy with the choice. I considered the Bliss briefly but think the smaller ship is the route to go from all of the great advice I've read on the boards the last few years. We plan to tour Seattle and Vancouver pre-cruise and Denali post-cruise. Can't wait!

Have done three AK cruises - all RT from Seattle - sometime in the future I will get to the interior of AK by cruise or long drive :D .

As for AK it is way less about the ships and more about the ports and scenery - so I would go for either the Pearl or Sun and if you are planning on going after June then the Sun will be doing one ways Vancouver BC to Seward AK - with several different length land tours available pre or post cruise. Even though the Bliss is supposedly being built for AK so not sure exactly what the bells and whistles will be like - other than a couple of forward observation lounges (one in the haven and one elsewhere). But both the Sun and Pearl have these already.

Both Sawyer Glacier and Glacier Bay are equally beautiful and both are really must see areas. Glacier Bay is a National Park and has several different glaciers that you can see from the ship. Sawyer Glacier sits at the end of a long deep fjord that has many twists and turns and hosts many forms of wildlife and several waterfalls.

So if you have the time do a Northbound trip on the Sun and spend a few more days in the interior - otherwise I would take the Pearl RT out of Seattle.

Let the newness wear off of the Bliss (and the prices come down) to do Sawyer Glacier.

For a seven day cruise recommend either round-trip out of Vancouver or one-way Seward/Whittier to Vancouver (or reverse). I'd love to do Holland's 14dy offering but it's too $$ right now. Our first was Seward to Vancouver on Celebrity's Millennium, fond memories:)

To me a mega-ship up there just doesn't fit !

Edited by pspercy

Northbound from Vancouver on the Sun. Vancouver keeps you on the inside passage which is more scenic and more sealife (whales, dolphin, sea lions) than going way out to sea sailing out of Seattle. Take the time to do a land tour to Denali after your cruise.

We are planning to take our first Alaska cruise in June, 2018. Our choices are the new Bliss, the Pearl or the Sun. Any suggestions on which ship we should choose? Thank you!!

The smallest one you can afford will be the best. If you can afford Regent or Silversea that is the way to go. Alaska is all about the ports and scenery. You do not want to be on a mega ship, unless you are just going for the ship and not for Alaska.

Yesterday, I cancelled my NCL cruise to Alaska (May 2018) on The Pearl.

Why?

I found a much better deal round trip on the Grand Princess cruising round trip from San Francisco for 10 days to the inner passage. This gives us a couple of sea days, and we still get to see everything we would have seen on the pearl. We are going two weeks later in May then what we were.

If you are not 100% set on NCL, check out Princess - I can't tell you much about the cruise line itself since it will be my first time.

I can tell you that the Bliss is much more expensive then the Pearl is.

Edited by Imalismom

Yesterday, I cancelled my NCL cruise to Alaska (May 2018) on The Pearl.

Why?

I found a much better deal round trip on the Grand Princess cruising round trip from San Francisco for 10 days to the inner passage. This gives us a couple of sea days, and we still get to see everything we would have seen on the pearl. We are going two weeks later in May then what we were.

If you are not 100% set on NCL, check out Princess - I can't tell you much about the cruise line itself since it will be my first time.

I can tell you that the Bliss is much more expensive then the Pearl is.

This is the husband typing. My wife did a Princess cruise with some friends and was VERY disappointed. Buffet was a joke. She said it was about the size of the Great Outdoors on the Jewel Class ships (which is pretty darn small for a cruise ship buffet). They were 2 groups that equaled a party of 8 but were not allowed to eat together even though they had signed up for anytime dining (both parties signed up for a table of 8). She had to pay extra for turndown service that was never done.

All cruise lines have their good and bad but my wifes personal experience confirmed how much better NCL is than Princess for us.

Edited by kdzkatz

This is a tough choice. Indecision has clouded our vision in this regard. Although we are booked on the inaugural sailing of the Bliss Alaska itinerary, our first NCL cruise was Alaska on the Pearl. We have never looked back at another cruise line since. We are actually on the Pearl now, and were on the Getaway last week. We did this as a comparison to big vs. small ship. I have to say, we are enjoying the Pearl a bit more due to the smaller size and less chaotic feeling of having less people aboard. It was mentioned that Glacier Bay is not a guarantee, in fact, the Pearl Captain mentioned this yesterday at the Latitudes Party. His exact words, "not sure how a big ship like that will get through the fiords and Glacier Bay", which in itself is an incredible experience. The ports, are identical though, aside from Glacier Bay.

I am a sucker for the new ships now, we have become addicted to the new ship feeling, but still like the more homey feeling of the smaller ones. After taking you around our maypole, I would reccomend Pearl for your first Alaska experience. Carol agrees! :)

I too was on the Pearl for my first cruise and it was to Alaska in 2012. Splurged on an aft balcony room and it was soooo worth it! Unlike a southern cruise where you use the pool a lot, Alaska is not typically swimming weather so we spent a lot of time on our balcony taking in the 180 degree breathtaking scenery that an aft balcony provides. My husband passed suddenly the next year and I am so grateful that we took this cruise together. I loved the Pearl and its itinerary. I too have never looked back after cruising on NCL and really have no desire to cruise with any other cruise line at this point! You'll love the Pearl!