Cunard Transfer Southampton to St. Pancras

Vicrea123

Hello,

Does anyone know the time that the transfer from Southampton to St. Pancras departs? I have called Cunard customer service and can't give me a definite time. I want to book the Eurostar. They said to book after 1:30pm.

Southampton Central to Waterloo by train, but then you need to get from Waterloo to St. Pancras to catch the Eurostar.

Why not just book a Eurostar train after 1:30 pm? Better to be waiting in St. Pancras for your train than to be stuck in traffic, hoping you'll make it.

Southampton Central to Waterloo by train, but then you need to get from Waterloo to St. Pancras to catch the Eurostar.

Why not just book a Eurostar train after 1:30 pm? Better to be waiting in St. Pancras for your train than to be stuck in traffic, hoping you'll make it.

Thanks

I have taken a few Cunard transfers, although not to St. Pancras, but they all leave fairly close to each other. It was about 8:30 each time. Travel time to St. Pancras was estimated as 2 1/2 hours on the most recent leaflet I have. Cunard has told us that the coaches used are "deluxe" and have a WC, but I have yet to be on one that did.

If you were to go by train the most convenient way would be to go to Gatwick and change there for St. Pancras. Gatwick is easy for changing trains - far better than taking the quicker train to Waterloo and the tube beyond which is what National Rail suggests on its planner. It will take three hours and the cheapest fares I saw when checking randomly is about £25. But as we all know, short-haul trains are not convenient with luggage. Even a committed train traveller as myself takes the Cunard transfer or a car service.

I took it a few years ago I really don't remember when we left but I DO remember having to kill a lot of time at the station waiting for our 2pm eurostar to Paris...and there's not a lot of seating (if any) at St Pancras.

After that we went with private transport with smithsforairports.com I think it cost 110 pounds back then (that's not per person, it's per car) and they picked us up when we wanted.

Some people like getting places really early, I'm not one of them!

It is really quite complicated to try and change terminals in London with luggage. If I were you I would book a private car transfer which will pick you up at the pier and deliver you to checkin at St Pancras - much simpler and by the time you have bought train tickets/taxis etc probably not a lot more expensive.

The service recommended by the previous poster has a very good reputation.

I would also accept Cunard advice and not book a Eurostar before 1.30pm. You need to allow at least an hour for checkin/ passport control/ security etc.

I DO remember having to kill a lot of time at the station waiting for our 2pm eurostar to Paris...and there's not a lot of seating (if any) at St Pancras.

If you have time to kill at St Pancras then I recommend visiting the Betjeman Arms pub which is part of the station (it is at the front next to the Midland hotel).

Pleasant surroundings, a nice pint of beer and decent (if slightly pricy) food. It also has an outside terrace if the weather is good.

I have taken a few Cunard transfers, although not to St. Pancras, but they all leave fairly close to each other. It was about 8:30 each time. Travel time to St. Pancras was estimated as 2 1/2 hours on the most recent leaflet I have. Cunard has told us that the coaches used are "deluxe" and have a WC, but I have yet to be on one that did.

If you were to go by train the most convenient way would be to go to Gatwick and change there for St. Pancras. Gatwick is easy for changing trains - far better than taking the quicker train to Waterloo and the tube beyond which is what National Rail suggests on its planner. It will take three hours and the cheapest fares I saw when checking randomly is about £25. But as we all know, short-haul trains are not convenient with luggage. Even a committed train traveller as myself takes the Cunard transfer or a car service.

Thanks

If you have time to kill at St Pancras then I recommend visiting the Betjeman Arms pub which is part of the station (it is at the front next to the Midland hotel).

Pleasant surroundings, a nice pint of beer and decent (if slightly pricy) food. It also has an outside terrace if the weather is good.

Thank you

Roy do you remember what time you departed from Southampton?

Here's a part of an entry from my blog:

"

My transfer was slated to leave at 8:30. The first group was called right on time at 8:15. At 8:30 2 other groups (listed for 8:45) were called but us not until 8:50. Once we were called, disembarkation went very rapidly. In the terminal there were baggage carts at the ready, and with no border formalities we were on the coach pulling out at 9:05.

There were only 7 of us going to St. Pancras and we shared a minibus (19-seat) with overflow passengers going to Victoria. We had a comfort stop midway and were dropped off at St. Pancras at noon.

I was over cautious in booking my train; a 4PM departure. After getting a bit of lunch I investigated the possibility of an earlier train (my ticket said changeable with fee). The train that would work best was an additional 150 pounds, so I decided to wait. St. Pancras is not a great place to wait although there are a few benches. I grabbed one and sat for about an hour. I checked at 2:30 and checkin didn’t open until 3 so sat some more. Once my time had come, I scanned my ticket at the entrance gate and went on through security (airline style) and the British and French passport control, This took about 20 minutes leaving another 20-minute wait (in more comfortable seats) until boarding started."

It was off QE 4 December 2016.

Roy

Here's a part of an entry from my blog:

"

My transfer was slated to leave at 8:30. The first group was called right on time at 8:15. At 8:30 2 other groups (listed for 8:45) were called but us not until 8:50. Once we were called, disembarkation went very rapidly. In the terminal there were baggage carts at the ready, and with no border formalities we were on the coach pulling out at 9:05.

There were only 7 of us going to St. Pancras and we shared a minibus (19-seat) with overflow passengers going to Victoria. We had a comfort stop midway and were dropped off at St. Pancras at noon.

I was over cautious in booking my train; a 4PM departure. After getting a bit of lunch I investigated the possibility of an earlier train (my ticket said changeable with fee). The train that would work best was an additional 150 pounds, so I decided to wait. St. Pancras is not a great place to wait although there are a few benches. I grabbed one and sat for about an hour. I checked at 2:30 and checkin didn’t open until 3 so sat some more. Once my time had come, I scanned my ticket at the entrance gate and went on through security (airline style) and the British and French passport control, This took about 20 minutes leaving another 20-minute wait (in more comfortable seats) until boarding started."

It was off QE 4 December 2016t

Thank you very informative.