Noise from central entertainment areas in hump cabins?

cheffip

Well, I have to disagree. We were in 7272 on Silhouette, flat part of the hump. We heard lots of noise from the atrium, particularly a band with two female singers. Why they needed two, I don't know because they seemed interchangable. Their voices were piercing, and we could clearly hear them with out door closed. Perhaps if they had been better singers, we might have enjoyed. We are musical people and bad singers can be painful (especially those wo attempt to sing the National Anthem at sporting events...) There were never any sliding doors closed on deck 7 between corridor and Hideaway. They usually stopped by midnight. EM

Hi

We've just booked 9274 for our very first Christmas cruise on Silhouette in 2018. Does anyone know if that room will be noisy?

Many thanks

Heather

Heather

I have no experience of that room but we have been in the room two decks above on two different ships and heard nothing. It is a great location and I would not worry.

You should come over and join us on the Roll Call: https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2431489

It will be our second Christmas cruise and you will have a great time.

Well, I have to disagree. We were in 7272 on Silhouette, flat part of the hump. We heard lots of noise from the atrium, particularly a band with two female singers. Why they needed two, I don't know because they seemed interchangable. Their voices were piercing, and we could clearly hear them with out door closed. Perhaps if they had been better singers, we might have enjoyed. We are musical people and bad singers can be painful (especially those wo attempt to sing the National Anthem at sporting events...) There were never any sliding doors closed on deck 7 between corridor and Hideaway. They usually stopped by midnight. EM

I've walked by your cabin and heard lots of noise in the hallway so I can believe you heard it inside as well. I'll repeat again...the sliding doors on Silhouette (which I believe exist based on my fingers) are NEVER closed.

I'm sensitive to this because I had a reburbished cabin on Grandeur (former library I believe) with a wonderful oversized porthole window but it was exactly midship and the noise from the "bands" in the atrium was beyond annoying.

Update: I finally met a very pleasant customer service individual who admitted the legendary doors do exist! She had no idea why they are usually left open but said they are closed if there are enough complaints about noise. I am not shy about complaining if necessary. Watch this space after Oct 11 LOL.

Hi,Phil. We were on the hump onSerenade of the Seas and closed the doors ourselves- made a big difference. Good luck.

We have 6209 on Solstice inJan if you have any reports on smoke or noise.

Hi Holly

Yes, we did too on Grandeur. They were fire doors though and it did make a big difference to close them. But the S class has automatic glass doors like a grocery store - at least when someone throws the switch to allow them to work. Good news is I think we will be just outside the zone of noise. We'll be starboard so not the smoking side but I'll let you know what I hear. We're currently port but on deck 10 so too far away to detect any smokers. - Phil

Its very strange that the automatic sliding doors are locked open on all decks, I wonder what the reason can be. They are a design feature to reduce noise from the atrium and are on all S class ships. I have sailed on all the S class ships on more than one occasion including Silhouette and they have always been working normally. I have seen them locked open for drills, carpet cleaning or such like but always returned to operation afterwards. Do the crew really believe they were just put in by the ships designers just in case there were noise complaints ! Must be a reason they are now always locked open, malfunction maybe, but on all doors, really ?

I really resent being lied to by Customer Relations (there are no sliding doors) or given sketchy answers (we'll close them if you find it noisy on your next cruise). Any suggestions about who to raise this with to get a substantial answer? I'm not trying to be unreasonable. If there's something like an electrical failure, so be it. I'm tired of being blown off, however.

I really resent being lied to by Customer Relations (there are no sliding doors) or given sketchy answers (we'll close them if you find it noisy on your next cruise). Any suggestions about who to raise this with to get a substantial answer? I'm not trying to be unreasonable. If there's something like an electrical failure, so be it. I'm tired of being blown off, however.

I doubt very much that you are being lied to. It is just that crew on board are working. They do not spend any free time they may have just wandering round the ship investigating doors they cannot see. I doubt they understand what you are talking about.

As virtually everyone, including me, have assured you that they have not heard any noise I suggest you stop ruining your present cruise by worrying about a problem you probably will not have on the next cruise. I reiterate that we have never heard any noise in the S-class PH and they are at the end of the partition with no glass door.

I have a suggestion for why the doors may have been disabled. In the higher deck Celebrity Suite on M-class ships there is a noise issue. It is the sliding door on the deck above. Perhaps they have been disabled because they caused a noise issue. I know that when I have seen the doors in operation, they open every time someone walks along the corridor and not just when someone wants to pass through them.

Latest update.

My Concierge initially denied the existence of the doors. Then ta-da, I walked her six-feet from her desk and we manually closed the "automatic" doors. She was amazed at this revelation and brought someone down from the bridge. After some initial lame excuses his reply was the doors have been disabled because too many people have had "serious accidents" bumping into the glass.

If there's anyone out there on an S class ship reading this who has working glass doors, please me know.

The doors really exist and are working for the moment. Thanks to the persistence of Silhouette's excellent CC manager Vanessa, the chief electrical engineer turned on some magic switch and the doors, (at least the ones outside our cabin near the Hideaway,) are opening and closing as they were always intended to.

I'm new to Celebrity & don't quite understand everything.. We'll be on Reflection in Dec.. Are cabins 7109 to 7157 called Hump cabins? If not please explain Hump cabins to me? We have a cabin beyond those on deck 7 but still trying to figure out the deck plans.

Thanks

No they're not, they're forward cabins. The hump people refer to would be 7211 to 7247 for example.

Just back from a cruise on Silhouette

Cabin 9227 hump, definitely heard music from the band in our cabin not enough to keep us awake when retiring early, also had vibration on occasion that was irritating also felt the vibration in other ship areas. This was more annoying than the band.

As virtually everyone, including me, have assured you that they have not heard any noise I suggest you stop ruining your present cruise by worrying about a problem you probably will not have on the next cruise. I reiterate that we have never heard any noise in the S-class PH and they are at the end of the partition with no glass door.

Project Gal, the views on noise were and continue to be mixed from a variety of people here. My inquiries were more of a sea day project and did nothing to "ruin" my first cruise. Thanks to these inquiries, and the help of the Concierge, the problem was addressed and my area on deck 7 is definitely quieter and hopefully my actions will be of use to others. I'm glad you slept well in your Penthouse but others are obviously more sensitive than you.