Stability of QV compared to QE

Delbankin

We have been on each ship 2 or 3 times and are going back on QV later this year and I have been looking at recent reviews.

One person suggested they had never been on a ship that moved as much as QV and it made me remember our last trip on QV and the fact that I did think there was quite a bit of movement compared to what we had experienced previously.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the quality of ride on each of these two ships?. Is one better than the other and has there been any change perhaps as a result of any of the remodelling since each was launched?.

D.

I personally do not think you can compare the two. You could never have exactly the same sea conditions to make an apple to apple comparison. We have been on both and could not say one was different than the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I personally do not think you can compare the two. You could never have exactly the same sea conditions to make an apple to apple comparison. We have been on both and could not say one was different than the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Completely agree, been on both ships in smooth and rough seas and never thought one was better or worse than the other.

We have been on each ship 2 or 3 times and are going back on QV later this year and I have been looking at recent reviews.

One person suggested they had never been on a ship that moved as much as QV and it made me remember our last trip on QV and the fact that I did think there was quite a bit of movement compared to what we had experienced previously.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the quality of ride on each of these two ships?. Is one better than the other and has there been any change perhaps as a result of any of the remodelling since each was launched?.

D.

it depends on an individual's idea of movement came down the Adriatic from Venice once in a flat calm on QV, person at breakfast said the sea was rough during the night

Guest SilverHengroen

The ships are virtually identical in design so should react virtually identically to the same sea conditions. The refits, though they might look dramatic on QV will actually be of very little impact on the stability characteristics of the ship...

Our Fjord trip on the Q.V. was like a millpond! We seem to sail more often on the QE and though seas may have been lumpy I haven’t felt queasy. I quite like the roll of the sea when I’m in bed anyway. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It depends so much on sea conditions: not only height of swell but also current and wind speed/direction. Both QV and QE should perform the same and the real comparison would be between the two of them and QM2, which is altogether a different species in rough conditions. Personally, although never suffering from sea-sickness at all, I have found the ride of both QV and QE less than ideal in moderate conditions. It is difficult to describe but the nearest I have got is a tendency for them to "wallow" a bit. I should add that it is not nearly enough to put me off either ship, bearing in mind their other excellent qualities!

I can only compare the QM2 and the Queen Elizabeth and, of course, there is no comparison. The QM2 handles rough weather very well, but as for the Elizabeth....

We were on her for the beginning of this year's world cruise and the crossing to New York was the worst I'd ever experienced. There was a lot of movement, enough for DH who loves the rough weather to even comment. However the stretch along the west coast of the States, (can't remember exactly which bit) was also on the choppy side and I felt (as did others) that there was a slight list to starboard for quite some time, presumably as a result of the winds. Slightly disconcerting.

Interestingly our cabin was aft and we felt very little movement whereas speaking to those who were more to the front, did feel the motion.

I crossed the North Atlantic on the QV in January with very rough seas and thought she handled the conditions very well.

Daisy

It might depend where your cabin was. During the crossing last January to Ft. Lauderdale on the QV we were in 8032 which is high up and quite forward. It was not so smooth up there; we rocked and rolled quite a bit. Getting up to go to the bathroom at night one night I nearly fell into and on top of my sleeping room mate. There was a clear difference as to how it felt in the stateroom as opposed to the restaurant which is midships. As a mater of fact I changed the room that I had originally booked for a summer transatlantic on the QE during 2019 to a location from deck eight to one that is midships on deck five for comfort and safety sake.

It might depend where your cabin was. During the crossing last January to Ft. Lauderdale on the QV we were in 8032 which is high up and quite forward. It was not so smooth up there; we rocked and rolled quite a bit. Getting up to go to the bathroom at night one night I nearly fell into and on top of my sleeping room mate. There was a clear difference as to how it felt in the stateroom as opposed to the restaurant which is midships. As a mater of fact I changed the room that I had originally booked for a summer transatlantic on the QE during 2019 to a location from deck eight to one that is midships on deck five for comfort and safety sake.

My cabin was on deck one. During the worst night of that crossing it was very noisy with moderate movement and I was quite glad I wasn't on a higher deck! As you know, the bad weather continued for the following 3-4 days but considering how bad the sea conditions were I do think the QV coped well. I hope the rough weather didn't spoil the crossing for you. It was the first time I had crossed the Atlantic (even though I'm diamond world club) and I enjoyed the whole experience!

I would say that the QM2 would probably have handled the rough seas better, although I've not been on her in weather that bad. I'm planning to try a round trip crossing soon.

Daisy

My cabin was on deck one. During the worst night of that crossing it was very noisy with moderate movement and I was quite glad I wasn't on a higher deck! As you know, the bad weather continued for the following 3-4 days but considering how bad the sea conditions were I do think the QV coped well. I hope the rough weather didn't spoil the crossing for you. It was the first time I had crossed the Atlantic (even though I'm diamond world club) and I enjoyed the whole experience!

I would say that the QM2 would probably have handled the rough seas better, although I've not been on her in weather that bad. I'm planning to try a round trip crossing soon.

Daisy

Thank you for your concern, and no, the high seas certainly did not dampen our enthusiasm. But I must say that I was sure glad that we spent a calm night tied up at Praia Da Vitoria . During January such weather in the North Atlantic can be expected. Next Thursday I board the QM2 for a crossing back to the States, and looking at the U.S.Navy's wave prediction web site by Saturday there might be a "strong gale" with seas around 25 or so feet that we could experience. Though the QM2 can handle such conditions much better than the QV did in January there will still be some movement of the ship.