Refundable Deposits

babs135

Do these exist in the UK? Impatiently waiting for the 2020 Alaskan itineraries and prices but just a bit concerned at having to pay a deposit of (I would think) about £2000 for a cruise so far away. It's a lot of money to lose if circumstances change.

Our annual travel policy has been continuous for years, which should cover unforeseen circumstances. I would never book, pay a large deposit and be without insurance, thinking I will buy cover nearer the departure date.

I believe if you pay the full Cunard fare, there is the possibility of switching to another cruise, but a refund from the deposit will not be forthcoming. But then, I think that would be standard in many sectors of the UK travel industry.

For the U.S. Market, there is a full refund of any monies paid on a booking IF cancelled 91 days or more prior to sailing. If cancelled from 90-61 days before sailing, the deposit is non refundable and closer to sailing, you lose increasing per cent of the fare paid.

For the U.S. Market, there is a full refund of any monies paid on a booking IF cancelled 91 days or more prior to sailing. If cancelled from 90-61 days before sailing, the deposit is non refundable and closer to sailing, you lose increasing per cent of the fare paid.

That's the way it used to be until after the 2017 world voyages. Now, the window for us to lose our deposits in the US has been extended out an additional 30 days, to 120 days from the sailing date (for voyages of 30 days or less) and 150 days (for voyages of more than 30 days). Specifically, here are the typical US cancellation schedules that come into play.

Voyage Length 30 nights or less

Number of Days before Sailing .... Cancellation Fee

120 to 91 ........................ 25% or Deposit Amount

90 to 61 ......................... 40% of full fare

60 to 31 ......................... 50% of full fare

30 to 15 ......................... 75% of full fare

14 days or less, or non-appearance 100% of full fare

Voyage Length 31+ nights

Number of Days before Sailing .... Cancellation Fee

150 to 121 ....................... 30% or Deposit Amount

120 to 91 ........................ 40% of full fare

90 to 64 ......................... 50% of full fare

63 to 43 ......................... 75% of full fare

42 days or less, or non-appearance 100% of full fare

In other words, it is now possible or us in the US to lose our deposits prior to the final payment date.

• 1 month later...

Just remembered this thread :o

Thanks for the replies. We have annual insurance; can't understand why people either travel without any insurance or wait until the last minute to purchase it. Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, while I continue to wait (im)patiently for the Alaska itineraries and prices any suggestions on how I can convince DH (and me to a certain extent) that it's a good idea to book something so far ahead for a sailing in June 2020? Earliest we've booked is 11 months and that was fraught enough with ill health. Assuming the itineraries are the same as for 2019 we both really fancy the 50 nighter Alaska and home. Sounds heavenly :D.

Looking forward to reading reviews for the trip.

It’s a chance you take. We regularly pay hefty deposits as much as two years ahead. Providing your insurance is in place, and you are sure it's a trip you want to do, there isn’t a problem

I'm easily convinced: not sure about DH though :(:(

It’s a chance you take. We regularly pay hefty deposits as much as two years ahead. Providing your insurance is in place, and you are sure it's a trip you want to do, there isn’t a problem

Absolutely agree. We do the same .

In fact we paid for a cruise in full recently, which is 10 months away so we could get first pick of the air craft seating. 15 hour fight we needed to know we were in the right seats. Went into Seat Guru first to research the seats then booked them.

Maggiemou, do you mean you booked air fare through Cunard Complete Air? If so why did you have to pay full fair so far out? Have you used Complete Air before?

We are thinking of using Complete Air for our next trip. Any tips appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maggiemou, do you mean you booked air fare through Cunard Complete Air? If so why did you have to pay full fair so far out? Have you used Complete Air before?

We are thinking of using Complete Air for our next trip. Any tips appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Bella Anna. I am in the Uk so we can not cancel with out losing our deposit . We often book our own flights separately as we get the freedom to go which route we want to take which cabin class on the flight etc and a seat that suits my tall long legged husband . Plus we can use our air mile. However, on my next long haul the fight came as part of the cruise deal so no choice of seats etc until you pay the final balance.

So to make sure we got seats we required we paid the full amount as this enables us to be issued with an air ticket instead of December, giving us first pick of the seats as flights usually come available 11 months out.

We paid the cruise and went into BA and found the perfect seats . If we had left it till December, the cruise line would have put us and any other passengers joining the cruise into a block booked seats in economy.

We are covered by insurance and we have full intention of taking the cruise .

I am not familiar with Complete Air . Hope this helps.