With Prinsendam leaving, will some HAL passengers look elsewhere?

cruisemom42

<SNIP>

It might be worth a look at Pacific Princess too. She's a smaller ship (under 700 passengers).

the luxury lines can have some good sales and with the all inclusive factor, the price may not be as bad as it sounds (I'm not sure how the solo supplement works though).

<SNIP>

Crystal'."usual" solo supplement is around 35%, but I think like most solo fares that are less than 100% it is capacity driven I booked the Northwest Passage as soon as it opened at 35% but within 48 hours there were no solo breaks.

I believe the Pacific Princess is a twin of the former Ocean Princess, now the Oceania Sirena. Her final itinerary closely matched my Crystal Antarctica cruise and I often looked down at her and saw joggers moving around the tiny poolside track and decided I had NO desire to be on that ship.

With regard to the original question, about 90 of my almost 300 days on HAL have been on the Prinsendam. I doubt if I will look at other cruise lines and will probably divide that part of my travel plans between Crystal, Cunard,and HAL's other ships.

Roy

I spent some time last night looking at Silversea. I almost booked a cruise with them about 3 years ago when they had a great Black Sea itinerary at a very good price (low or no solo supplement, I think). I wish I'd done it then, as the Black Sea itineraries now are somewhat incomplete.... :(

At any rate, Silversea does have some interesting ports and itineraries; there are a couple in Asia that interest me....

I agree with kazu's earlier comment that the Pacific Princess itineraries are not altogether inspiring, especially if you like to take longer segments and/or string together multiple cruises. However, I did find one that goes to some new ports (for me) in the Med in the time slot I have open for Fall 2019, so I'm interested. Prices are not cheap -- clearly Princess does the same as HAL in charging a premium for their small ship. But as a past Princess passenger I also know that prices tend to start out high but then track downward for all but the most high-demand itineraries.

I really like small ships and interesting itineraries. But for me another component is onboard enrichment/lecturers and it seems Azamara may offer that, at least to a degree. (I am very spoiled with what is offered on Voyages to Antiquity.)

I spent some time last night looking at Silversea. I almost booked a cruise with them about 3 years ago when they had a great Black Sea itinerary at a very good price (low or no solo supplement, I think). I wish I'd done it then, as the Black Sea itineraries now are somewhat incomplete.... :(

At any rate, Silversea does have some interesting ports and itineraries; there are a couple in Asia that interest me....

I agree with kazu's earlier comment that the Pacific Princess itineraries are not altogether inspiring, especially if you like to take longer segments and/or string together multiple cruises. However, I did find one that goes to some new ports (for me) in the Med in the time slot I have open for Fall 2019, so I'm interested. Prices are not cheap -- clearly Princess does the same as HAL in charging a premium for their small ship. But as a past Princess passenger I also know that prices tend to start out high but then track downward for all but the most high-demand itineraries.

I really like small ships and interesting itineraries. But for me another component is onboard enrichment/lecturers and it seems Azamara may offer that, at least to a degree. (I am very spoiled with what is offered on Voyages to Antiquity.)

Do you use an agent for booking with Voyages to Antiquity? I was noticing on their website that they have rooms with two beds that can’t be converted to a double. And does anyone know if they are truly a double or are they queen size when the two beds are put together?

Do you use an agent for booking with Voyages to Antiquity? I was noticing on their website that they have rooms with two beds that can’t be converted to a double. And does anyone know if they are truly a double or are they queen size when the two beds are put together?

We booked our VTA (West Africa) directly with them over the phone. Did some research on line over the cabin choices and booked the second one we wanted - the first two were already taken.

There are some odd cabin choices and they are not necessarily the selling point for this ship - they are functional. Just like looking at Fred Olsen ships -where you are going take first billing, not how you will be getting there and that can work as we learned on the very old and creaky Voyages of Diiscovery.

I do use an agent.

I have always cruised solo, so I'm not a good one to ask about the bed configurations. I've sometimes had a room with two twin beds and no offer to put them together. (I assume that's one reason why I'm given the room -- perhaps not desired by couples?) Other times I've had a room that has a bed somewhat larger than a twin but I don't think as big as a true double bed (let alone a queen). I think those are the true "single" rooms as they are slightly smaller overall.

If you have other assorted questions, I'd be happy to answer them if I can -- I've been sailing with them since their initial year of launch and once a year since then. This HAL forum may not be the best place -- if you want to email me personally, I can be reached at cruise*mom*42@gmail.com (remove asterisks).

I do use an agent.

I have always cruised solo, so I'm not a good one to ask about the bed configurations. I've sometimes had a room with two twin beds and no offer to put them together. (I assume that's one reason why I'm given the room -- perhaps not desired by couples?) Other times I've had a room that has a bed somewhat larger than a twin but I don't think as big as a true double bed (let alone a queen). I think those are the true "single" rooms as they are slightly smaller overall.

If you have other assorted questions, I'd be happy to answer them if I can -- I've been sailing with them since their initial year of launch and once a year since then. This HAL forum may not be the best place -- if you want to email me personally, I can be reached at cruise*mom*42@gmail.com (remove asterisks).

Your e-mail address didn’t work and yes I took out the asterisks. I sent it twice. No worries as I will contact the company. Thanks.

I do use an agent.

Your e-mail address didn’t work and yes I took out the asterisks. I sent it twice. No worries as I will contact the company. Thanks.

Strange....did you close up the spaces after removing the asterisks? :confused:

At any rate, it occurred to me later that you might also post any questions on the "Other Cruise Lines" forum where there are a few other folks as well who've cruised with VTA before.