Unaccompanied minor

Chief93

I've called my PVP but she is off today. I've looked at both the Carnival and Homeland Security websites. Both say that if only one parent is travelling on a cruise with a minor, it is "advisable" to have a note from the non-travelling parent.

Here's my deal, one of my four cabins on the upcoming cruise is a mother with a 10 year old. The father left them. Hasn't been seen in years. But, they are stilled married. Any idea what documentation she needs?

I've called my PVP but she is off today. I've looked at both the Carnival and Homeland Security websites. Both say that if only one parent is travelling on a cruise with a minor, it is "advisable" to have a note from the non-travelling parent.

Here's my deal, one of my four cabins on the upcoming cruise is a mother with a 10 year old. The father left them. Hasn't been seen in years. But, they are stilled married. Any idea what documentation she needs?

full custody papers in this case. that would prove you dont need permission from the father.

just reread that they are fully married. I think in this case she will have to cross her fingers and hope she doesnt get questioned. 99.5% of the time you will be fine. if you are questioned , they will question the 10 year old and as long as he answers truthfully it will only be a delay.

I travel with my 12 year old DD all the time with her passport card (and that her birth certificate). We have different last names and her father is not in the picture. We never ever have a question.

Just have her proper ID as is required to board the ship.

I would like to add that perhaps they can contract the Father's parents and have them write up a note too.

But do have the Birth certificate. If you can locate the last place the father was seen, perhaps you can get something quickly in writing as well. Good luck. It is a shame this is an issue so perhaps as a lawyer friend if you have one.

Unless a parent contacts Carnival, I don’t even know why Carnival would even question a single parent getting on a ship with their kid. My brother has cruised several times with his kids and they’ve never questioned him.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

first, carnival doesnt ask. its the CBT I believe

second, the response that you have gone 4,548 times without a problem doesnt change the fact that people have been asked.

will you have a problem? chances are no

if you are questioned, will you not board? I have never heard this but there will be delays if you are asked

Unless a parent contacts Carnival, I don’t even know why Carnival would even question a single parent getting on a ship with their kid. My brother has cruised several times with his kids and they’ve never questioned him.

Carnival doesn't. Customs does. Some parents do not have permission to leave the country with their child. It would be easy to disguise a parental kidnapping as a cruise vacation, get off the ship and not return.

This is a case when it’s really a good idea for a single parent to have the proper court papers.

They will likely have no problems but they could be asked and possibly denied boarding. I’m actually surprised they don’t take this more seriously. Think of how easy it would be for a parent to abduct a child in this way. They take a cruise, get off at some port and never return.

I’ve travelled with my children along many times and I always carry the proper documentation. I wasn’t asked for it until the last time we traveled.

If the single mom has no way to get court documents allowing her to travel without permission she would just have to take her chances. But she needs to be prepared for the fact that they could refuse to let them board or get off at port. Just because most people have never had a problem doesn’t mean she won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a case when it’s really a good idea for a single parent to have the proper court papers.

They will likely have no problems but they could be asked and possibly denied boarding. I’m actually surprised they don’t take this more seriously. Think of how easy it would be for a parent to abduct a child in this way. They take a cruise, get off at some port and never return.

I’ve travelled with my children along many times and I always carry the proper documentation. I wasn’t asked for it until the last time we traveled.

If the single mom has no way to get court documents allowing her to travel without permission she would just have to take her chances. But she needs to be prepared for the fact that they could refuse to let them board or get off at port. Just because most people have never had a problem doesn’t mean she won’t.

Or, as I like to say, nothing is ever a problem - until it IS a problem.

Carnival doesn't. Customs does. Some parents do not have permission to leave the country with their child. It would be easy to disguise a parental kidnapping as a cruise vacation, get off the ship and not return.

And when would customs ask? When you get back from the trip? And what are they going to ask? Where is the father/mother?

Unless they have a reason to ask, I wouldn’t worry about a parent who is literally not in the picture. But I understand that’s just me. If someone wants to get paperwork, that’s fine. I just wouldn’t go out of my way.

And when would customs ask? When you get back from the trip? And what are they going to ask? Where is the father/mother?

Unless they have a reason to ask, I wouldn’t worry about a parent who is literally not in the picture. But I understand that’s just me. If someone wants to get paperwork, that’s fine. I just wouldn’t go out of my way.

they can randomly ask anyone they want. they dont need a reason. I would assume they look for what appears to be a sign and I dont think anyone on this board knows what they are looking for.

and they can ask before...or after and they have every right to ask.

Unless they have a reason to ask, I wouldn’t worry about a parent who is literally not in the picture.

Passenger information is reviewed prior to the cruise. They could chose to flag an unaccompanied minor and the cruise line could then request the information. Customs at the location you are travelling to could not allow you to get off the ship. I have heard parents traveling on cruises that stop in Canada not being allowed to take their children off the ship if they don’t have the necessary paper work.

This is a case where nobody has an excuse to whine and complain should their vacation be ruined because you didn’t take the time to get the proper documentation.

If parents want to risk it because they think they will never be asked go ahead. But don’t you dare throw a fit when it doesn’t work out for you.

they can randomly ask anyone they want. they dont need a reason. I would assume they look for what appears to be a sign and I dont think anyone on this board knows what they are looking for.

and they can ask before...or after and they have every right to ask.

Ok, if they ask, you answer the question truthfully. If paperwork was a requirement, why does HSA “advise” people to have paperwork? Why not say they must?

Again, I’m not against people getting the paperwork. I would just evaluate the risk involved. And if I hadn’t seen the spouse in years like the OP said, I would go on the cruise and have a great time. If someone asked, I’d say the father has been out of the family for years.

Ok, if they ask, you answer the question truthfully. If paperwork was a requirement, why does HSA “advise” people to have paperwork? Why not say they must?

Again, I’m not against people getting the paperwork. I would just evaluate the risk involved. And if I hadn’t seen the spouse in years like the OP said, I would go on the cruise and have a great time. If someone asked, I’d say the father has been out of the family for years.

because its not required.... if they dont like the answers they can delay you but ultimately it will be worked out if there are no issues. its not mandatory because eventually you will be able to go on your way if your story is legit... its just a pain and a delay if you dont have it

I would suggest ignoring the people who are telling you that you don't need documentation and get it.

Carnival or Customs could change their procedures the day you're boarding and you'd be out of luck!

I took my nephew on a trip once and had a trainee customs agent coming back and he was asked 10+ questions and I was asked for several pieces of proper documentation. Thankfully we had them and didn't have any issues.

A few months later with my niece, we weren't asked any questions and weren't even asked for a birth certificate.

because its not required.... if they dont like the answers they can delay you but ultimately it will be worked out if there are no issues. its not mandatory because eventually you will be able to go on your way if your story is legit... its just a pain and a delay if you dont have it

Right. I agree with that. I’m just looking at this specific case. If it is true that the father has not been in the picture for years, what paperwork are you even going to get? But maybe she can.

In the end, it’s all about risk tolerance and being truthful if asked. If it were me, I’d go have fun and answer questions truthfully.

Right. I agree with that. I’m just looking at this specific case. If it is true that the father has not been in the picture for years, what paperwork are you even going to get? But maybe she can.

In the end, it’s all about risk tolerance and being truthful if asked. If it were me, I’d go have fun and answer questions truthfully.

Answering questions truthfully might not be enough. Carnival and the federal government have every right to deny someone boarding or entrance back into the country, if you don't have the information and documentation they ask for.

Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Answering questions truthfully might not be enough. Carnival and the federal government have every right to deny someone boarding or entrance back into the country, if you don't have the information and documentation they ask for.

Except that the paperwork is not a requirement. So, sure, it’s possible that a mom and her 10 year old may not be able to get on the ship for no reason other than the whim of an agent.

But they can also deny my boarding for any reason they choose. People should live their lives the way they want. If my wife was out of the picture for years, I’d go in the cruise.

Except that the paperwork is not a requirement. So, sure, it’s possible that a mom and her 10 year old may not be able to get on the ship for no reason other than the whim of an agent.

But they can also deny my boarding for any reason they choose. People should live their lives the way they want. If my wife was out of the picture for years, I’d go in the cruise.

I'll happily wave at you and others who don't have the proper documentation to board, while I'm on the ship and you're on land.

I'll happily wave at you and others who don't have the proper documentation to board, while I'm on the ship and you're on land.

And you’ll be waving to straw men standing on the pier because they don’t have the paperwork that isn’t actually required. While actual people have fun on their cruise because they have the required paperwork.

Bingomamma19.....did your daughter get the passport card without her father?....my daughter had to jump through a lot of hoops to get her ex to coopetate with showing up for her son's renewal..his original was as an infant so it was like starting over....

And you’ll be waving to straw men standing on the pier because they don’t have the paperwork that isn’t actually required. While actual people have fun on their cruise because they have the required paperwork.

Thankfully I'm assured I'll have fun on the cruise, because I bring the paperwork that's required and advised. Hopefully I'll be waving at you standing on the pier.

In what kind of scenario would you foresee them not being allowed back into the country?

Bill