Arrecife

Does anybody know how we can get to Arrecife when we dock in Lanzarote?
We docked in the middle of nowhere and took the ships shuttle to Arricife.

It drops you about 10 minutes walk to the centre.

There is basically 1 street of shops around 800 metres long plus a fairly nice promenade.

Last time we got a taxi to Costa Teguise for a change.

• Like 1

Does anybody know how we can get to Arrecife when we dock in Lanzarote?

We docked around 20 minutes walk from Arrecife centre and just 5 minutes from the Lagoon area. There was a tourist information office close to the berth and a trolley train ran from there along the coast to the far side of Arrecife. We are docking there again in December and hope we are at the same place again.

• Like 1

We docked around 20 minutes walk from Arrecife centre and just 5 minutes from the Lagoon area. There was a tourist information office close to the berth and a trolley train ran from there along the coast to the far side of Arrecife. We are docking there again in December and hope we are at the same place again.

Which ship were you on? We’ll be on the Navigator of the Seas.

Getting a taxi there will be easy, but what about getting one to get back to the ship. Are there taxis lined up at the house?
You could arrange for the taxi to come back at a certain time.

We have done that when visiting Tenerife and Sorrento.

We rented a car. The car and rental were great (CI Cars) and the roads on the island were great too. I don't remember where we docked, and whether the car rental place was right near by, but I remember it wasn't particularly hard or time-consuming to find. We went to Timanfaya National Park (fabulous), and then briefly to a few other places, including a Manrique site and a fabulous modern housing development in the town of Tias. Navigating was pretty easy, although I did plan everything in advance, and printed out directions. (I'm terrible at navigating.) . It was an awesome day. I could have spent 2 days on the island of Lanzatote, including some time to see more of Arrecife itself. Photos are here, although you'll have to forward to about halfway through the gallery to see Lanzarote: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/iberian_sojourn__portugal_spain_gib&page=all

As an alternative, I think when I was researching, I found a few private or shared tours that could be taken which went out into the countryside.

Getting a taxi there will be easy, but what about getting one to get back to the ship. Are there taxis lined up at the house?
I doubt that you could get a taxi to come back at a certain time - not economic for the driver to return to Arecife and then come back. There are certainly not taxis waiting at the house. Most people arrive indendependently or as part of a tour. The house is worth a visit, but an hour is probably sufficient time. I would suggest you agree a price with the taxi driver for a round trip, with an hours wait at the house.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

We rented a car. The car and rental were great (CI Cars) and the roads on the island were great too. I don't remember where we docked, and whether the car rental place was right near by, but I remember it wasn't particularly hard or time-consuming to find. We went to Timanfaya National Park (fabulous), and then briefly to a few other places, including a Manrique site and a fabulous modern housing development in the town of Tias. Navigating was pretty easy, although I did plan everything in advance, and printed out directions. (I'm terrible at navigating.) . It was an awesome day. I could have spent 2 days on the island of Lanzatote, including some time to see more of Arrecife itself. Photos are here, although you'll have to forward to about halfway through the gallery to see Lanzarote: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/iberian_sojourn__portugal_spain_gib&page=all

Ruthy's post could easily have mine.

So thank you Roothy for helping to save my typing finger.:)

We've used CICAR on a number of the Canary islands, and they've been excellent.

At Arrecife they have a depot at the pier on the first floor (for Americans that's second floor) of the multi-storey carpark.

Sensible rate for the day, clean late cars, no scams that are so prevalent amongst car rental operators, best to pre-book.

We too went to Timanfaya. At the park visitor centre you switch the a park bus which takes you on the mazy track through the volcanic landscape (I'm a former coach driver - hats off to those guys).

We then went to where the volcanic lava-flow went into the sea near El Golfo - some amazing sights.

We also went to Cesar Manrique's house at Tahiche. It's about 3 to 4 miles from the port, less than 10 mins.

Worth an hour or more.

By taxi mebbe ask if the driver (or a colleague) can come back for you in, say, 90 minutes. There's no taxi rank there.

JB :)

Lanzarote is my favourite Canary Island. Thanks to Manrique the worst excesses of other Spanish resorts have been avoided, and the terrain is different from anywhere else you will have been. We normally stay there for three weeks every other year - the only other place we return to as often is Sarasota!

Just thought I'd share!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I second renting a car. It's really easy to drive around. Note- if you arent able to drive manual reserve ahead of time for automatic. We used cicar which was at the entrance of port. This is a beautiful island that I would love to go back to. We visited playa de papagano and timanfaya. The bus ride around timanfaya was nice, however, dont sit in the front to watch the road....or lack of, like I did. All I can say is those bus drivers are amazing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

We decided to book a tour, but it doesn't stop at Manriquez's house. I am not fan of renting cars while on a cruise. Maybe if we go and stay there for a few dats, then yes, but not for a few hours in a place where we don't know how to get around. The tour takes us to a lookout point. Looking forward to visiting the Canary Islands.

I live on Lanzarote. Yes hawaiinorchid, the taxis will take you on a tour around the island to wherever you want to go. The caves, Jameos del Agua and Cesar Manriques final home are all in the north of the island, and very close together.

The Cesar Manrique Foundation is in Tahiche which is not too far away from where the ships anchor.

Travellovers2, I hope your tour includes the Timanfaya National Park, you really shouldn't miss that.

• Like 1