Little French Key - Roatan

RW_MI

I'm doing my first solo cruise in November on the Glory, and this is the first time I'll visit Roatan. I've read great things about going to Little French Key, and have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can help with.

Safety - The packages say they come with transportation. Is that a taxi? As a woman traveling alone, is this a safe option?

Timing - I was thinking I'd stick with Carnival excursions to take away any chance of missing the ship's departure. I can leave a lot of leeway in the time I return to the ship, and I assume LFK is great about making sure you're back, but any comments pro or con would be appreciated!

Snorkeling - Is the snorkeling there mediocre, good, or great? I'm mostly asking to help figure out other trip excursions. It looks like LFK has enough to offer that I'd love it even if the snorkeling wasn't great. (Other ports are Belize, Cozumel, and Grand Caymen if anyone has snorkeling recommendations.)

Thanks for any input!

Look in the port of call section for LFK specific info. I'll just say that if you book directly with LFK, you'll lilely have to walk outside the port to find your transport. There'll be plenty of vendors as well as cruisers on this road. The ride to LFK is short, and you can leave at any time.

Snorkeling has to be done from a boat, I went with Donatelli twice, it's excellent here, corals are almost pristine. It can be calm or rough, so he'll pick the best spots to go, depends on wind and tide.

I believe the Carnival excursion goes to Big French Key, which is across from LFK, so not the same. You can find some excellent snorkeling tours in Belize as well. Enjoy!

They pick you up mostly in vans and minivans. You more than likely won't be the only one going there and as a solo, woman cruiser, I would totally go by myself. Join your roll call and see if others are going there. I just stayed there for a few nights and felt totally safe 24 hours a day.

You can sign up for the snorkeling package when you arrive. They have a sign up with your ship and what time you need to leave. Your waiter will ask what ship you are on and remind you as it's getting close. But you can go at anytime you want. They have vehicles ready and the little boars are constantly going back and forth.

LFK just bought part of BFK and are in the process of building a bridge between the 2 islands. BFK is a ship excursion, and LFK is not. BFK is underwhelming and they aren't even in the same league. Don't waste your time or money there especially now since they have even less land to cram all the ship people.

I’m thinking LFK may be a fun excursion to try when I cruise to Roatan in November. We cruise November 4, which is daylight savings time...how would this affect the time in port vs. ship time when cruising from Tampa?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by pirate4me2

We went to LFK when it was a Carnival excursion some years back and had a blast. We went back two years ago and it was a disappointment. It was really crowded and the service was lacking. The first time we went there you could go into the water and relax. The next time you couldn't get into the water without getting kicked or splashed by kids (and adults).

I would not go back there again but am glad I got to enjoy it before it became popular.

If you really have your heart set on good snorkeling, I highly recommend the Tabanya Beach Break excursion through Carnival. It takes you to West Bay beach, and the snorkeling there is incredible. Probably one of the most beautiful places on the planet. I haven’t been to LFK, so I can’t compare, but when I did my research on both places, I choose the Carnival excursion specifically because of the snorkeling. And this is coming from a person that prefers non-Carnival excursions whenever possible.

We went to LFK when it was a Carnival excursion some years back and had a blast. We went back two years ago and it was a disappointment. It was really crowded and the service was lacking. The first time we went there you could go into the water and relax. The next time you couldn't get into the water without getting kicked or splashed by kids (and adults).

I would not go back there again but am glad I got to enjoy it before it became popular.

It's totally not crowded and there are plenty of places to go without being splashed. Service is top notch and we didn't wait for anything even when multiple ships were in port. I was just there for the 4th time at the beginning of the month. Although I will admit I did enjoy it most in the evening when everyone was gone and on the day when no ships were there, it was a lot of fun and still super enjoyable when we had to share our island. I suggest you try again.

It's totally not crowded and there are plenty of places to go without being splashed. Service is top notch and we didn't wait for anything even when multiple ships were in port. I was just there for the 4th time at the beginning of the month. Although I will admit I did enjoy it most in the evening when everyone was gone and on the day when no ships were there, it was a lot of fun and still super enjoyable when we had to share our island. I suggest you try again.

Totally agree with Firemanbobswife - not crowded and plenty of room. beautiful place. Been there twice

I have been to LFK twice and not crowded at all and top notch service we did not wait at all for anything , our bartender came right into the water to serve the drinks , and we left a little bit earlier then others in our party and they were right there ready to take you back … a single lady would be very safe … good luck and enjoy

Could you be thinking of Big French Key? It is adjacent to LFK, but a different island.

Carnival did have an excursion to BFK.

I'm doing my first solo cruise in November on the Glory, and this is the first time I'll visit Roatan. I've read great things about going to Little French Key, and have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can help with.

Safety - The packages say they come with transportation. Is that a taxi? As a woman traveling alone, is this a safe option?

Timing - I was thinking I'd stick with Carnival excursions to take away any chance of missing the ship's departure. I can leave a lot of leeway in the time I return to the ship, and I assume LFK is great about making sure you're back, but any comments pro or con would be appreciated!

Snorkeling - Is the snorkeling there mediocre, good, or great? I'm mostly asking to help figure out other trip excursions. It looks like LFK has enough to offer that I'd love it even if the snorkeling wasn't great. (Other ports are Belize, Cozumel, and Grand Caymen if anyone has snorkeling recommendations.)

Thanks for any input!

It is safe.

I would rate the snorkeling from the island mediocre, although you might see lionfish (look, don't touch) and other interesting things.

They do offer a boat snorkel which should be superior to snorkeling from the shore.

I liked LFK better before they developed it so much, and will leave it at that. We will be returning, however.

Could you be thinking of Big French Key? It is adjacent to LFK, but a different island.

Carnival did have an excursion to BFK.

No, I know I was at LFK. This was about 5 years ago and Carnival excursions went there and this was before BFK even existed. I'm not really saying LFK was bad the last time, just that it was not as good as I remembered.

If you really have your heart set on good snorkeling, I highly recommend the Tabanya Beach Break excursion through Carnival. It takes you to West Bay beach, and the snorkeling there is incredible. Probably one of the most beautiful places on the planet. I haven’t been to LFK, so I can’t compare, but when I did my research on both places, I choose the Carnival excursion specifically because of the snorkeling. And this is coming from a person that prefers non-Carnival excursions whenever possible.

While Tabayana Beach is wonderful, it's impossible to compare it to LFK if you haven't been there! I usually go to Tabayana on a ship excursion, and I've only gone to LFK on Sundays when there were no cruises ships in port, while staying at Infinity Bay Hotel right next to Tabayana.

The benefit to Tabayana IMO, is that one can snorkel directly from the beach. In LFK, you have a short 5 minute boat ride to a site the guide chooses.

BTW, when we stayed at Infinity Bay, we couldn't wait for those pesky cruisers to leave "our" beach and go back to their ships!

We went to LFK in 2017 and booked a spot through their website here: https://www.littlefrenchkey.com/packages/

They will have a driver waiting for you with your name, but you do have to walk about 5 mins from the port. They will ask what time to pick you up and they will be waiting to take you back. They will make sure to get you back to the port in time to leave. We loved spending the day here. We did the package that includes lunch and 2 drinks. Snorkeling is not great, but they have kayaks you can use and a fun rope swing. I highly recommend it.

Before you rush to make reservations at LFK you may want to do more research from this point forward, including here on CC. Another poster in another thread just posted they were operating illegally without permits. Not sure if they will be shut down or what will happen. Just relaying from the other thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=56831503#post56831503

Before you rush to make reservations at LFK you may want to do more research from this point forward, including here on CC. Another poster in another thread just posted they were operating illegally without permits. Not sure if they will be shut down or what will happen. Just relaying from the other thread.

Doubtful they will shut down. They didn’t after they had some of their animals illegally taken from them a few years ago (some of which were returned) nor did they cave when the government tore up part of their dock which was replaced a week or so later because it should have never been destroyed to begin with. I love LFK. They treat their animals wonderfully and the whole reason why I even get off the ship/fly to Roatan. If they do get shut down, Roatan will lose a lot of tourist’s money.

I wouldn’t worry about booking. You don’t even pay upfront. In fact, I’m working on plans to go down and stay again next year.

This is good to know from a "have a Plan B" standpoint, just in case. Thanks.

I wouldn’t worry about booking. You don’t even pay upfront. In fact, I’m working on plans to go down and stay again next year.

Knowing that you don't pay up front is really helpful, especially since I'm probably going to go all out and get the package that includes the Jaguar interaction.

Btw, firemanbobswife, your Glory review was what reminded me that I'd wanted to look into LFK. You've posted so much helpful information - a special thanks to you!

Knowing that you don't pay up front is really helpful, especially since I'm probably going to go all out and get the package that includes the Jaguar interaction.

Btw, firemanbobswife, your Glory review was what reminded me that I'd wanted to look into LFK. You've posted so much helpful information - a special thanks to you!

You’re very welcome! If you need anything, feel free to send me an email. I’m always glad to help!