I have no clothes

ceb65

I got into Rome last night, but my clothes did not. We are on the EPIC this Wednesday. If my suitcase doesn't show up tomorrow, I will need to buy enough clothes to get me through until May 8th. What types of shops are available on board?

I am trying to stay positive and enjoy my first trip to Italy, but this really stinks. I pretty much bought an entire new wardrobe for this trip and a new job, oh and I have an interview the next morning when I get home, and the outfit I was going to wear is in this suitcase :(

I second contacting NCL, the ship, and the airline. They should be able to forward your luggage to one of the ports you will stop at.

Otherwise, enjoy all the NEW cloths, latest Italian fashion shopping trip! Bill it to the airline. And I would not try and buy a wardrobe on the ship.

I know how frustrating this can be: it happened to us in Hawaii one time but at least we were not about to board a ship. Yes, I am sure you have contacted the airline, but try NCL as well. Hopefully they will be able to help. The good news, normally when luggage is lost, it turns up in a day or so. Good luck, keep us posted and yes, save every receipt.

I got into Rome last night, but my clothes did not. We are on the EPIC this Wednesday. If my suitcase doesn't show up tomorrow, I will need to buy enough clothes to get me through until May 8th. What types of shops are available on board?

I am trying to stay positive and enjoy my first trip to Italy, but this really stinks. I pretty much bought an entire new wardrobe for this trip and a new job, oh and I have an interview the next morning when I get home, and the outfit I was going to wear is in this suitcase :(

If you haven't already and are not familiar, I'd suggest you take 30 minutes to search online for "airline delayed baggage rights." You could be entitled to > $1,700 (international travel) of reimbursable expenses from the airline. But there's a difference between delayed, missing and lost luggage. There's also airline rules to follow to ensure you eventually receive your compensation.

Ideally, your luggage shows up today. Fingers crossed for you!

did you contact guest services on the ship? they can work with the port and airlines to find any missing luggage and get it to the ship at the next port

I am not on the ship until Wednesday, but that will be the first thing I do if it hasn't arrived by then.

Properly tagged airline baggage are bar-coded and tracked. OP, assuming you've already filed a missing luggage claim/report on the spot with the airline on arrival, with your local hotel & contact info - they SHOULD be able to track and tell you exactly where the bags "misconnect" and located then & there, and which flights & routing they likely will forward to its intended destination (Rome) and delivery to your hotel (usually, courier/messenger services contracted by the airline).

They should be able to provide you with an amenity/toiletry kit (well, some airlines do - as a courtesy) if you ask.

As such, our backpacks are carry-on sized with enough basics and change of clothing, underwear & clean socks for 2 nights, for situations like this,

Meanwhile, depending on what they can assure you - time to do a little "essential" shopping in Rome, NCL ship's gift shops barely stock anything, except for bath suits & t-shirts ... no PJ's, socks or undergarment, etc. Better to ask for the hotel front desk staff and concierge for advice on where to buy, keep receipts & documentations to file claims and for insurance reimbursement, etc.

OP has two days to get clothes. She should be able to go to her airlines website and see where her luggage is at any given time. The odds are that it shows up today. If it doesn't and she can't find it, she needs to ship in Rome before boarding the ship, NOT on the ship. She should ask the concierge at her hotel where the locals shop and go there.

Properly tagged airline baggage are bar-coded and tracked. OP, assuming you've already filed a missing luggage claim/report on the spot with the airline on arrival, with your local hotel & contact info - they SHOULD be able to track and tell you exactly where the bags "misconnect" and located then & there, and which flights & routing they likely will forward to its intended destination (Rome) and delivery to your hotel (usually, courier/messenger services contracted by the airline).

They should be able to provide you with an amenity/toiletry kit (well, some airlines do - as a courtesy) if you ask.

As such, our backpacks are carry-on sized with enough basics and change of clothing, underwear & clean socks for 2 nights, for situations like this,

Meanwhile, depending on what they can assure you - time to do a little "essential" shopping in Rome, NCL ship's gift shops barely stock anything, except for bath suits & t-shirts ... no PJ's, socks or undergarment, etc. Better to ask for the hotel front desk staff and concierge for advice on where to buy, keep receipts & documentations to file claims and for insurance reimbursement, etc.

I filed with the airline when I was at the airport, the airline was not able to tell me anything. The info the gave me when plugged into their website states they are still tracing it's whereabouts. I do have one dress a change of undergarments, a swimsuit and a change of shoes but that is it. We went to a few clothing stores tonight but the clothes were all xs and small.

It's good that you have a few days before the cruise, so hopefully your luggage catches up to you. When we cruised out of Rome, our flight from JFK to Amsterdam was delayed, we were late, we made our connection to Rome but our bags did not. We got one of them later that night and the other one the following day. We told the airline that we were going on a cruise and where/when all the port stops were so that if they couldn't get our bags to us before we left, they could catch up to us at the next port.

I suggest you tell the airline of all your travel plans. As far as shopping in Rome, I don't have any suggestions other than asking at your hotel or maybe searching on tripadvisor and/or the Italy board on here, maybe a local will see your message and tell you where to go.

This is hindsight,but perhaps some future advice.

We always travel with carryons containing underwear,sleepwear a few changes of clothes, valuables and medication.

Also, my DH and I cross pack. Half of our clothes go into each of two suitcases. If one suitcase goes missing, we have our clothes packed in the other suitcase.

However, if both checked suitcases go missing, then we have things packed in the carry on.

I have read posts from others who travel only with carryons. Haven’t gotten to that point yet.

I filed with the airline when I was at the airport, the airline was not able to tell me anything. The info the gave me when plugged into their website states they are still tracing it's whereabouts. I do have one dress a change of undergarments, a swimsuit and a change of shoes but that is it. We went to a few clothing stores tonight but the clothes were all xs and small.

This is NOT a good sign, the airline "couldn't tell you anything?". Baggage tags are scanned at every move. did they say it made it to Rome? Did you ask where it was last scanned?

What airline and from where?

I filed with the airline when I was at the airport, the airline was not able to tell me anything. The info the gave me when plugged into their website states they are still tracing it's whereabouts ...
OMG, that's trouble if they have no ideas of its whereabout ... sorry to hear about that. Did you have extra ID/contact info inside the bag or other easily accessible tag info, if & when they locate it in their system. There is a distinct possibility that the tag(s) were ripped off/chewed up ... somehow by the conveying belts or fell off the tarmac. Maybe still at the origination (home) airport's lost & found, without any kind of tags attached. Any distinctive markings or tags, etc. on the missing bags.

Two of our nephews worked out of JFK @ground ops and they've seen these things happened - if you had snapped pictures of your luggage. might better help them ID it and increase the re-union odds ... there are hundreds of black rollerboards, many Travelpros (fewer Tumi's, etc.) in identical colors - unclaimed. Amazingly ... folks leave behind a good # of iPads when they deplane, most get re-claimed but some never do.

My plus sizing are difficult to buy in certain "foreign" cities too, thus I cross-pack with DW's checked rollerboard. Priority #1 now is to start shopping for clothes, clean underwear & socks for several days are a must, wash & re-use. Assume that your luggage, if found & forwarded, will likely not board with you - with a different port on each schedule stop, not easy to win in playing catch up.

If the OP didn't book air through the cruise line, there is nothing NCL can do for her. This is the airline's responsibility. Hopefully, you will get your clothes. What airline are we talking about?

That’s just awful. Did you have a direct flight? We cross pack all the time but anything could happen with both of our suitcases. Even if the main tag ripped off your suitcase there are usually smaller labels that have the tracking number on them. Shocked that the airline doesn’t have any info. Maybe you have already asked but I would demand a manager get on the phone with you. I hope by the time you read this you have already heard some news.

We booked through TAP Portugal. I did not book through NCL so I doubt they will help. I will have to give up my sightseeing plans for tomorrow and go looking for clothes. We stopped at a couple stores today and the largest size was a Medium, that is what is worrying me, finding clothes that fit. This is the first time we have ever checked a bag. We always go for less than two weeks and have always managed with just carry-ons. I wanted to cross pack, but DH waited until the last minute,so I just packed my own. Of course his made it though,lol.

I feel for you! I had this exact thing happen to me last year. I left Fl to Rome for a 7 day cruise on the Epic. I got to Rome with just the clothes I had on. I had 1 day before the cruise. In Rome the shops were expensive and had trouble finding much. I boarded the Cruise the next day and told the ship what happened and they suggested I get right off the ship because the port had some great shopping. I was able in port to buy everything I needed. Just make sure you try everything on. Everything I could try on was fine. I couldn't the underwear and it was way to small. So just a warning about the sizes. Now when I alerted NCL about the issue they did paperwork for me. They gave me a toiletry kit and a free same day laundry bag and 1 t-shirt. Every day I would have a message from NCL that they contacted the Airline for me and could expect my luggage the next day. I heard that same thing almost every day. Well my luggage never made it the entire cruise. I ended up buying a little in each port. On night before the end of the cruise I was worried what to do about carrying everything off I went to guest services and they gave me a free piece of luggage! Asked if it was big enough and it wa I suppose if it wasn't they would of given me something else. NCL was amazing and it wasn't their fault. It just sucked being told every day that next port my luggage would be there. 2 weeks after I got home my luggage arrived with tags from all over the world. My luggage is better traveled then I am. I was able to get direct from my airlines right around $1,600. Have a great cruise! Make the best of it and was a good ice breaker and story to tell while on the ship.

I wouldn't rely on the onboard shops. Not a brilliant selection and very expensive. Find a shopping centre and go there. Keep receipts for insurance purposes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

totally agree. One time when going to Alaska daughter left her suitcase at the front door or she said hubby did: regardless. She took a few hours, found a shopping mall and away she went. Let's hope OP didn't have to buy all new and luggage arrives prior to boarding. Now we all know the reason for cross packing. For us, it wouldn't help as we normally only take one bag, with maybe a chance or two in our carry on.