Cruise Passenger Falls Off Ship -- saved after 10 hours in the water.

Wine-O

It is virtually certain that it is no “accident”; unless, of course climbing a railing (drunk or sober: ie STUPID), or being the victim of attempted murder is seen as being an accident.

“Falling off a cruise ship” just does not happen—- it is the result of people doing something that puts them (or their victim) in a position where gravity does the rest.

So if it was 60 meters why didn't she just swim back to the dock? Or are the idiots at fox news "She fell from the Norwegian Star cruise ship about 60m off Croatia's coast late on Saturday night." using 60m to mean 60 miles when the rest of the world would read it as 60 meters

The ship was 60 nautical miles from the coast when she went overboard. As others have mentioned, the railing designs make it almost impossible to go overboard inadvertently.

In my experience many are suicides, the next most common is stupidity fueled by alcohol, then foul play.

So if it was 60 meters why didn't she just swim back to the dock? Or are the idiots at fox news "She fell from the Norwegian Star cruise ship about 60m off Croatia's coast late on Saturday night." using 60m to mean 60 miles when the rest of the world would read it as 60 meters

Well American News story, and how we read it. For 40 years cars in America had speedometer with MPH and KPH. My Mother picked me up at the airport today in her new car. I drove it home and looks like they finally decided to drop it sticking with only Miles...

Local news just had this on their news this morning.

Woman wouldn't answer any questions.

She just keeps saying "I was on the back of the ship and fell off".....to anyone that will listen, yet she refuses to say HOW.

You CANNOT fall off of a ship. Reasons for overboards are: suicides, drunken stupors, selfies on the railing and murder. YOU CANNOT FALL OFF OF A SHIP and I really wish all of the news channels would stop saying that. They scare the HELL out of people.

That has always been my question- you really have to try like standing on a chair, sitting on a railing or something because the rails come up mid-chest on me and i am 5-7 so no way to just fall over

In spite of what all of the learned posters think, I can easily see how it is possible to fall off the ship. I will agree that many of the ways involve failure to use common sense, but that doesn't mean that someone was drunk, or that something nefarious happened. The woman in question could have been standing on something to take a picture, she could have been reaching for something that blew off her balcony or the deck. She could have reached over the rail for some other reason. The list goes on and on. None of the actions are the smartest things to do, but that doesn't mean she did not accidentally fall off.

I will agree that it is almost impossible to fall off the ship if you have both feet on the deck.

In spite of what all of the learned posters think, I can easily see how it is possible to fall off the ship. I will agree that many of the ways involve failure to use common sense, but that doesn't mean that someone was drunk, or that something nefarious happened. The woman in question could have been standing on something to take a picture, she could have been reaching for something that blew off her balcony or the deck. She could have reached over the rail for some other reason. The list goes on and on. None of the actions are the smartest things to do, but that doesn't mean she did not accidentally fall off.

I will agree that it is almost impossible to fall off the ship if you have both feet on the deck.

How tall are you? As another poster said, I’m also 5’7” and the railings hit me mid-chest too. There’s no way I could lean very far over the railings without jumping/climbing up or standing on a chair. So while going over the railing accidentally is a possibility, most people would have to make a genuine effort to get ON the railing first. Maybe if someone was 7’6”, they might just lean over a bit and Oops, they fall overboard. But not the rest of us.

Are you sure you are posting on the right board? No yelling, calling people stupid or idiots, having an opinion that is different and making sense.

I agree 100%. We don’t always do the smartest things as we go through life and the results of some decisions aren’t always good. I wish alcohol was a requirement for making questionable decisions as alcohol hasn’t passed my lips in 29+ years and I am not immune to making mistakes.

I work and live in a resort that sees thousands of people / tourists each day. Many times the Guest’s brain seems to turn off when they arrive. They do things they would never do at home, many dangerous actions. Just the way life goes.

No, it is not true that “...MANY of the ways involve failure to use common sense...” - ALL of the ways involve such failure (or suicide).

There is a saying : “Too stupid to live” ——- which (sadly) generally applies in these fall-off-a-cruise-ship stories.

“Accidents” are events which are NOT the obvious and avoidable results of a person’s actions.

Falling off a cruise ship is the obvious and avoidable result of the faller’s actions.

No, it is not true that “...MANY of the ways involve failure to use common sense...” - ALL of the ways involve such failure (or suicide).

There is a saying : “Too stupid to live” ——- which (sadly) generally applies in these fall-off-a-cruise-ship stories.

“Accidents” are events which are NOT the obvious and avoidable results of a person’s actions.

Falling off a cruise ship is the obvious and avoidable result of the faller’s actions.

+1 Exactly.

I think the problem that most experienced cruisers have with such statements (e.g., someone 'falling' off a cruise ship) is the implied connotation that this kind of event could happen to a cruiser, any cruiser, as the result of some unforeseen circumstances. When in fact it is almost an impossibility that someone who abides by the safety regulations that are listed in cabins and reviewed during safety drills (e.g., lifeboat drill, television safety presentations on day 1, etc.) would go overboard.

These events and the statements by media afterwards carry a lot of weight with those who haven't cruised before and it can be difficult to convince them that their lives aren't randomly at risk just by being on deck on a ship....

Sorry, but can you give an example of an adult passenger falling off a ship which doesn't involve a crass lack of common sense or drunkenness? :confused:

Or do you think standing on something by a ship's rail or over-reaching over the rail for any reason shows even a modicum of common sense.:rolleyes:

And excluding sea monsters, tidal waves and irate husbands, how it is only "almost" impossible to fall off a ship if you have both feet on the deck?

Too many folk like that silly woman and the health-and-safety brigade will have us all safeguarded behind 6ft high wire-mesh. :eek:

JB :)

A number of people have gone overboard accidentally, but it is usually as a result of heavy seas and/or extreme rolling, which I consider as 40+ degrees. I have experienced these conditions on cargo ships, but never in 40+ years at sea have I experienced it on a passenger ship. From aft, where this lady went over, a potential cause is being pooped, or having the seas wash over the aft deck. At Deck 7, being 30 + feet above the water this is highly unlikely.

On current, modern passenger ships the railings are designed to prevent accidental overboards, unless you are well over 7'. Just watched the story on the local news and she is normal height. She allegedly have spent the day drinking and arguing with traveling companions(s).

Therefore, in this situation the chance of her having accidentally fallen overboard is Zero.