Can OBC be applied to the DSC charges?

MrMike45

I should know this from past cruises, but we always have on board charges any way, so the OBC is applied against whatever the billing dept wants.

We are taking our 1 year old son on his first cruise in October. As part of the booking, he rec'd $100 OBC. I can't see a 1 year old using his on-board card for too many purchases ;p.

We haven't pre-paid the DSC charges yet. If we don't, would his $100 (non-refundable) OBC be applied to those charges? If not, is there a way to have it transferred to either mine or my wife's name so we don't lose that $100? Only other thing I can think of is to use his card to pay for some stuff on board, but I don't know how well it would go over if an infant's picture popped up on the screen when paying for drinks or bingo or something like that

So is it transferable? Or should we plan to use his card for stuff on board to rack up the $100?
Your son should be on your stateroom account so the $100 should be seen on the overall stateroom account. No need to transfer as it will be already on the stateroom account.

At least that's what happened with us.

So is it transferable? Or should we plan to use his card for stuff on board to rack up the $100?

When you check in, the assumption unless you state otherwise will be that all of your individual spending will be pooled together in one account for the cabin. All of your OBC will be applied to that combined account, so your childs OBC will be allocated against your spend without you doing anything.

Did you catch BirdTravel's comment? If the OBC came from NCL it is non-refundable and can not be used to offset the DSC, only for things you buy on the ship.. If it came from a travel agent, you can use it.

Clearly they saw that comment. That’s why they then asked about applying the OBC to other people’s spend.

I think we should be good. All the spend in the room is going on the same account/credit card. And if I'm reading it right, all the OBC will also be pooled and applied to the same account, just not to the DSC charges. Right?

If so, then it's a non-issue. We always have a bill at the end of the cruise. So the OBC will just be applied against that. Even if my son's card wasn't the one used to make the purchases

I think we should be good. All the spend in the room is going on the same account/credit card. And if I'm reading it right, all the OBC will also be pooled and applied to the same account, just not to the DSC charges. Right?

If so, then it's a non-issue. We always have a bill at the end of the cruise. So the OBC will just be applied against that. Even if my son's card wasn't the one used to make the purchases

That is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not transferable but as mentioned it does depend on whether it is a non refundable or refundable OBC . It sounds like you will probably have to find a way to use it on board. If nothing else, what we did last time was to buy a few extra things in the gift shop or you may want to apply it to a tour. I am sure you will be taking a tour or two, even with a 1 year old. I can add and I haven't read all the comments, that the credit will simply show up on your account and can be spent wherever. It is part of your cabin account. Still, if it is non refundable it can not be used for gratuities as I understand it.

If it’s refundable OBC, you should be able to transfer it to another’s name. I had OBC from a TA that came in my name and divided it up and transferred to my sister and nieces at guest services.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

not transferable but as mentioned it does depend on whether it is a non refundable or refundable OBC . It sounds like you will probably have to find a way to use it on board. If nothing else, what we did last time was to buy a few extra things in the gift shop or you may want to apply it to a tour. I am sure you will be taking a tour or two, even with a 1 year old. I can add and I haven't read all the comments, that the credit will simply show up on your account and can be spent wherever. It is part of your cabin account. Still, if it is non refundable it can not be used for gratuities as I understand it.
Lol..... there were all of 13 posts before your's and you couldn't read through them to see what was already said? especially when the OP posted in #10 he usually has a bill at the end so this is not really an issue.....

Yes, no problem at all. My 4 year old had $100 OBC on our last cruise. It paid for the photos I bought on my card at the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Put all the passengers in the cabin on the same bill when you check in. The OBC for everyone is applied to the total bill.

Did you catch BirdTravel's comment? If the OBC came from NCL it is non-refundable and can not be used to offset the DSC, only for things you buy on the ship.. If it came from a travel agent, you can use it.

OP, in the original post said that it was non refundable. If it is not refundable it doesn't matter where it came from it cannot be used for DSC.

OP, in the original post said that it was non refundable. If it is not refundable it doesn't matter where it came from it cannot be used for DSC.

You can use it toward DSC by simply putting your OBC to your cabin in a slot machine then cashing out your “winning ticket”. You now have the cash for your obc or credit card or can add it to your account. 3% is taken when you deposit O B C in a slot machine though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

:halo:K

You can use it toward DSC by simply putting your OBC to your cabin in a slot machine then cashing out your “winning ticket”. You now have the cash for your obc or credit card or can add it to your account. 3% is taken when you deposit O B C in a slot machine though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you have a winning ticket.