Getaway 2017-Baltic Capitals, input wanted

asubaru

I am looking at 9 day cruises embarking/disembarking from Copenhagen or Berlin. There are some variations (similar port cities) within the cruises. They run from May through August. I have not done very much research, but will in the near future.

I have been to Germany 2x and like it. I have never been to Denmark. Berlin seems the most popular, but I don't know why.

I am looking for input from those who have done similar cruises or live near those ports. What is you opinion as a far as sightseeing/things to do around those cities?

Any comments are welcome regarding ports, ship, or cities. I have sailed Epic and Escape...like them both.

Thanks..

I have been to a few of these cities. I LOVE Stockholm and St Petersburg, they are among my favorite cities in the world. When you spend a few days in either you run into lots of the cruise ship crowd.

Do a LOT of research. The thing that concerned me about the Getaway itineraries is that either because of the size of ship or maybe port/docking availability it looked like Getaway was going to be a ways outside of the city...many smaller ships/lines dock practically right by the city center. That would be a concern for me.

I prefer not to travel in summer with rest of the world so I would try a May itinerary if I was going.

These cruises are very port intensive. Actually the port for Berlin is 3 hours from the city in Rostock/Warnemunde, which are really nice cities in their own right and part of the Hanseatic League. I would choose to do a late Sept. or Oct. cruise as there won't be many school kids on board.

An overnight in St Petersburg is something special, book privately for that excursion. Use the PORTS OF CALL board for Europe here on C.C. The is a whole section devoted just to Baltic cruises.

It will take a lot of homework to research the ports.

Thanks.... These are the type of things I am looking for and will take note.

I anticipate spending the 2 days in St. Petersburg at the State Hermitage Museum, but certainly will research if that would optimize my visit there.

I hadn't thought about size of the ship; I tend to favor the newer/larger ships. I'm not really opposed to trying a smaller one, especially since it's a port intensive cruise. I just googled how far where they stop in Sweden (Gothenburg) is from Stockholm and it's 5 hours. That was an eyeopener. There is a variation that docks in Nynasham which is 45 minutes away from Stockholm. My head hurts! <g> Lots of things to consider and I agree about research.

You make a good point about May.

I really appreciate your comments!

I have been to a few of these cities. I LOVE Stockholm and St Petersburg, they are among my favorite cities in the world. When you spend a few days in either you run into lots of the cruise ship crowd.

Do a LOT of research. The thing that concerned me about the Getaway itineraries is that either because of the size of ship or maybe port/docking availability it looked like Getaway was going to be a ways outside of the city...many smaller ships/lines dock practically right by the city center. That would be a concern for me.

I prefer not to travel in summer with rest of the world so I would try a May itinerary if I was going.

If art is your thing then by all means spend a day there.

I highly recommend Peterhof Palace. I used to be a "if you've seen one palace you've seen them all", but the grounds there are just awesome.

Church of the Savior on Spilt Blood is one of the most incredible churches I've been in. St Isaac's also very nice.

Can't imagine not doing a water canal tour also.

Thank you for your input. I will definitely use the ports boards once I decide on a cruise/ship. I agree that they are invaluable. I'm glad I have over a year :-)

These cruises are very port intensive. Actually the port for Berlin is 3 hours from the city in Rostock/Warnemunde, which are really nice cities in their own right and part of the Hanseatic League. I would choose to do a late Sept. or Oct. cruise as there won't be many school kids on board.

An overnight in St Petersburg is something special, book privately for that excursion. Use the PORTS OF CALL board for Europe here on C.C. The is a whole section devoted just to Baltic cruises.

It will take a lot of homework to research the ports.

I've got a lot to learn :-)

Thank you for the add'l recommendations.

If art is your thing then by all means spend a day there.

I highly recommend Peterhof Palace. I used to be a "if you've seen one palace you've seen them all", but the grounds there are just awesome.

Church of the Savior on Spilt Blood is one of the most incredible churches I've been in. St Isaac's also very nice.

Can't imagine not doing a water canal tour also.

Gothenburg is a destination in itself, not a port for Stockholm. I've not looked at the Getaway itineraries for a while but thought there were only a couple with the Gothenburg option.

Nynashamn certainly isn't ideal though. Not only is it a long way from the city, but you miss the sail through the Archipelago, which I think really detracts from the day. If there are still some itineraries which show docking in Stockholm itself then I would favour those (although there must still be a chance that the Getaway doesn't actually dock in Stockholm even then).

The Stockholm issue is a real problem for this cruise in my opinion.

My advice for this cruise is not to overlook Tallinn and Helsinki. Tallinn has a wonderful old town, an easy walk from the ship so it's easy tondo on your own and it a great port.

Helsinki is also a really nice place and can be a fairly easy stop after two hard days in St Petersburg.

Unless Berlin is a real must do, and you can't make it on an alternative trip, I'd forego it and do something closer to Rostock. Nothing against Berlin, but it's an expensive and long day for a rushed visit. In my opinion it's only really worth it if it's your only opportunity to go there.

Edited by KeithJenner

We did a similar trip to the Baltics in 2012 on a different line.

I think Nynashamn is a deal breaker. It is actually one of the major reasons we didn't sail this itinerary with NCL. It is a needless 45 minute (or whatever) bus ride to Stockholm. Gothenburg is nice, and worth seeing, but I would pick Stockholm if I could only visit one (our cruise did both).

You said you've been to Germany. Have you been to Berlin? If so, I'd suggest getting on the ship in Copenhagen. If you haven't seen Berlin, then I would suggest a pre or post cruise there. Its big enough to warrant a couple of days there. Either way, I wouldn't bother with the day trip from Warenmunde, it seems to be too much time spent in transit.

Tallinn was the "sleeper hit" on our cruise. We weren't expecting much from it but it was really one of the highlights. For St. Petersburg, you might want to try a third-party tour provider. Many on our Roll Call did one with Alla Tours and were happy.

We did a similar cruise on Princess for our honeymoon in 2012.

St. Petersburg was the highlight; Hermitage, Peterhof, Catherine Palace were all remarkable.

Helsinki and Tallinn were both really nice as well. Toured the Suomolina fortress, explored the market and ate deep fried vendace in the former. Climbed to the top of St. Olaf's church, checked out the Kiek in de kok museum and had lunch at Olde Hansa (had a bear steak) in the latter.

Biggest disappointment was Stockholm, or rather the short stay; we docked at 7am, when nothing's open, and departed at 2pm.

Edited by Cauzneffct

So the Getaway has some sailings that port at Nynashamn and others that say Stockholm. So even though it specifies Stockholm it might not actually be Stockholm or not go through the archipelago? Is there anyway to find out where the Getaway will actually dock?

So the Getaway has some sailings that port at Nynashamn and others that say Stockholm. So even though it specifies Stockholm it might not actually be Stockholm or not go through the archipelago? Is there anyway to find out where the Getaway will actually dock?

This site shows the (currently scheduled) itineraries. Looks like the first is in May 2017, so just click through month to month to see them all. This site lists Stockholm or Nynashamn. Other sites might list it as "Nynashamn (Stockholm)" if that sailing is going to Nynashamn.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruisesonnorwegiangetaway-may2017.html

You can also look a the Port of Stockholm vessel calls to see what is scheduled where.

http://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/

Of course, these are subject to change, but I think it is unlikely that a calling on Stockholm proper would be redirected to Nynashamn on short notice since the line has reserved (and paid) for the spot in Stockholm, but you never know.

Thanks, Keith, I was glad you responded.

This Stockholm things is confusing. There are so many variations for this 9 day cruise and It seems much of it is where the GA docks in Sweden. I will continue trying to sort that out.

I did check out the Star briefly and not sure that will solve my Stockholm dilemma. Not really crazy about sailing her due to reviews I have read.

I appreciate your response and have taken note.

Sue

Gothenburg is a destination in itself, not a port for Stockholm. I've not looked at the Getaway itineraries for a while but thought there were only a couple with the Gothenburg option.

Nynashamn certainly isn't ideal though. Not only is it a long way from the city, but you miss the sail through the Archipelago, which I think really detracts from the day. If there are still some itineraries which show docking in Stockholm itself then I would favour those (although there must still be a chance that the Getaway doesn't actually dock in Stockholm even then).

The Stockholm issue is a real problem for this cruise in my opinion.

My advice for this cruise is not to overlook Tallinn and Helsinki. Tallinn has a wonderful old town, an easy walk from the ship so it's easy tondo on your own and it a great port.

Helsinki is also a really nice place and can be a fairly easy stop after two hard days in St Petersburg.

Unless Berlin is a real must do, and you can't make it on an alternative trip, I'd forego it and do something closer to Rostock. Nothing against Berlin, but it's an expensive and long day for a rushed visit. In my opinion it's only really worth it if it's your only opportunity to go there.

Thank you for your experiences and opinions; they are very helpful.

I have not been to Berlin; visited central and western areas both trips. I do want to sail with NCL, although I don't doubt there are "better" itineraries/lines.

We did a similar trip to the Baltics in 2012 on a different line.

I think Nynashamn is a deal breaker. It is actually one of the major reasons we didn't sail this itinerary with NCL. It is a needless 45 minute (or whatever) bus ride to Stockholm. Gothenburg is nice, and worth seeing, but I would pick Stockholm if I could only visit one (our cruise did both).

You said you've been to Germany. Have you been to Berlin? If so, I'd suggest getting on the ship in Copenhagen. If you haven't seen Berlin, then I would suggest a pre or post cruise there. Its big enough to warrant a couple of days there. Either way, I wouldn't bother with the day trip from Warenmunde, it seems to be too much time spent in transit.

Tallinn was the "sleeper hit" on our cruise. We weren't expecting much from it but it was really one of the highlights. For St. Petersburg, you might want to try a third-party tour provider. Many on our Roll Call did one with Alla Tours and were happy.

This is so helpful. It sorted out all the variations for me quickly (as opposed to NCL site) and, as I suspected, most of the variations were due to 3 different ports in Sweden. There are a couple of dates with a port in Gdynia,Poland instead of Helsinki.

Thank you!

This site shows the (currently scheduled) itineraries. Looks like the first is in May 2017, so just click through month to month to see them all. This site lists Stockholm or Nynashamn. Other sites might list it as "Nynashamn (Stockholm)" if that sailing is going to Nynashamn.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruisesonnorwegiangetaway-may2017.html

You can also look a the Port of Stockholm vessel calls to see what is scheduled where.

http://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/

Of course, these are subject to change, but I think it is unlikely that a calling on Stockholm proper would be redirected to Nynashamn on short notice since the line has reserved (and paid) for the spot in Stockholm, but you never know.

Bear steak? I can't imagine! I had to google vendace....I like whitefish, so will keep that in mind.

Thanks for the reply.

We did a similar cruise on Princess for our honeymoon in 2012.

St. Petersburg was the highlight; Hermitage, Peterhof, Catherine Palace were all remarkable.

Helsinki and Tallinn were both really nice as well. Toured the Suomolina fortress, explored the market and ate deep fried vendace in the former. Climbed to the top of St. Olaf's church, checked out the Kiek in de kok museum and had lunch at Olde Hansa (had a bear steak) in the latter.

Biggest disappointment was Stockholm, or rather the short stay; we docked at 7am, when nothing's open, and departed at 2pm.

I am looking at 9 day cruises embarking/disembarking from Copenhagen or Berlin. There are some variations (similar port cities) within the cruises. They run from May through August. I have not done very much research, but will in the near future.

I am looking for input from those who have done similar cruises or live near those ports. What is you opinion as a far as sightseeing/things to do around those cities?

I did the 9 day Baltic Capitals Cruise with NCL last year (Jul 2015) in the Norwegian Star. I loved sailing out of Copenhagen; I arrived 3 days before the sailing date, and just toured around this beautiful city. There are many things to see and do in Copenhagen, and you can even make a quick day trip to Malmö in Sweden for a little variation. Downtown Copenhagen is very walkable, and if you choose a hotel close to downtown, you can pretty much walk everywhere, Amalienborg, Nyhavn, Strøget, the Little Mermaid, etc.

Last year NCL was sailing from Oceankaj, which is far from downtown, but there are buses that go there and drop you off right in front of the cruise terminal. Or you can take a taxi, around 300 DKK.

Overall I do like Copenhagen a lot.

About Berlin, just keep in mind that the ship sails (again, this was last year with the Star) from Wanermünde, which is about 3 h from Berlin (that's how much it took to get to Berlin from the cruiseship in the excursion). Wanermünde is a nice little beach town.

Of the two, I'd choose Copenhagen, as there is more to see and do in the days prior to sailing.

Regarding the ports visited, they are all really beautiful cities. Tallinn is very doable on your own, and you don't need to book a tour if you're just visiting the old town, which will keep you entertained for hours.

St. Petersburg is in a class of its own. The two days the ship stops there don't do it justice. Helsinki is a beautiful city, and also very doable on your own; however, coming right after St. Petersburg I was a bit underwhelmed (not a fault to Helsinki, which I liked a lot), because after the opulence of St. Petersburg it had less of a "wow" factor. Stockholm is another jewel of a city, impressive. The only problem with Stockholm is that the ship stayed there only for 7-8 h and that is not enough.

All in all, I think this is a cruise you will like, all the ports are unique.

Edited by Josu01

Thank you for your opinions and advice.

I did the 9 day Baltic Capitals Cruise with NCL last year (Jul 2015) in the Norwegian Star. I loved sailing out of Copenhagen; I arrived 3 days before the sailing date, and just toured around this beautiful city. There are many things to see and do in Copenhagen, and you can even make a quick day trip to Malmö in Sweden for a little variation. Downtown Copenhagen is very walkable, and if you choose a hotel close to downtown, you can pretty much walk everywhere, Amalienborg, Nyhavn, Strøget, the Little Mermaid, etc.

Last year NCL was sailing from Oceankaj, which is far from downtown, but there are buses that go there and drop you off right in front of the cruise terminal. Or you can take a taxi, around 300 DKK.

Overall I do like Copenhagen a lot.

About Berlin, just keep in mind that the ship sails (again, this was last year with the Star) from Wanermünde, which is about 3 h from Berlin (that's how much it took to get to Berlin from the cruiseship in the excursion). Wanermünde is a nice little beach town.

Of the two, I'd choose Copenhagen, as there is more to see and do in the days prior to sailing.

Regarding the ports visited, they are all really beautiful cities. Tallinn is very doable on your own, and you don't need to book a tour if you're just visiting the old town, which will keep you entertained for hours.

St. Petersburg is in a class of its own. The two days the ship stops there don't do it justice. Helsinki is a beautiful city, and also very doable on your own; however, coming right after St. Petersburg I was a bit underwhelmed (not a fault to Helsinki, which I liked a lot), because after the opulence of St. Petersburg it had less of a "wow" factor. Stockholm is another jewel of a city, impressive. The only problem with Stockholm is that the ship stayed there only for 7-8 h and that is not enough.

All in all, I think this is a cruise you will like, all the ports are unique.

T

I anticipate spending the 2 days in St. Petersburg at the State Hermitage Museum, but certainly will research if that would optimize my visit there.

Are you talking about spending two full days at the Hermitage? If so, keep in mind that St P isn't like most ports and you need a visa to visit unless you're on a tour. The guides/companies for the tours--whether booked through the cruise line or through independents--secure a group visa so you don't need to go through the hassle and cost of getting one.

As others mentioned, the Baltic port of call board will have tons of information that you'll find helpful. My group booked with Alla for the two days in St P and it was great. We had early entry to the Hermitage and walked right past hundreds of people in line with their little cruise line tour stickers on their jackets. :D Alla (and many of the other tour operators) offered packages for several port cities on the itinerary at a discounted rate and those in our group who booked with them in the other cities said they were happy with the tours.

Have fun planning!

Regarding the Stockholm stop for the June 4th , 2017 sailing. I called NCL to confirm what I had researched previously and the agent confirm the Getaway would dock at Frihamnen, which is in Stockholm itself.

I can't confirm this is true for all sailings.

Hope this helps someone

Regards,

Edited by Photojunkie_I_am

Regarding the Stockholm stop for the June 4th , 2017 sailing. I called NCL to confirm what I had researched previously and the agent confirm the Getaway would dock at Frihamnen, which is in Stockholm itself.

I can't confirm this is true for all sailings.

Hope this helps someone

Regards,

Oh no, the dreaded NCL agent input. There are few more unreliable sources of information.

I'm not sure where your previous research was, but if certainly trust it more than the NCL telephone agent.

The NCL website does say Nynashamn though.