Never cruised NCL before. Price question.

cfr70

All my past 5 cruises (and upcoming 2) have been with Carnival, but i'm interested in trying another line out of curiosity and NCL's current $50 deposit is pulling me over in their direction.

I see a price of $610.84 for a Studio (which I want to try anyway), which includes the Ultimate Drink Package as well as all taxes/fees. It also aligns with the dates I want and it's a quick hop over to Pt. Canaveral from my home here in Kissimmee.

Is that a good price for 4 day NCL Studio including all drinks? I'm almost ready to snag it, but wanted an opinion from seasoned NCL cruisers first!

Are you looking at Epic studio on 3/07-03/11 2019?

IMO, that's a great price but I don't sail solo and have no idea of what a "good" solo price is. :o

You would also have to factor in the DSC cost (currently $13.99 per person per day) which you can prepay or have removed from your on-board account on a daily basis.

3 nights in a hotel plus food plus drinks would cost much more.

Go for it...have fun.

Epic is...unique and has some flaws but it also has many positives.

Are you looking at Epic studio on 3/07-03/11 2019?

You would also have to factor in the DSC cost (currently $13.99 per person per day) which you can prepay or have removed from your on-board account on a daily basis.

Carnival is within a dollar of that per day in DSC. I really don't think that's an issue with the OP.

Yes, it's for the 3/7/19 sailing on Epic. I spent all day viewing You Tube videos of the ship and like what I saw. For the price, drinks, short length as well as the advice given here, i'm gonna book it!! Thanks all!

I still love Carnival, but exited to finally try a new cruise line. :)

Be sure to attend the Solo gathering in the Living Room on the first night. The co-ordinator will get a group together for dinner and you get to meet other solos. There will also be a white board available to group up for specialty restaurants and entertainment. Also there's a great coffee machine in the Living Room free of charge for studio guests, treats and stuff throughout the day and the bar will open in the evening.

I had a great time in the studio cabin, have a great cruise!

Be sure to attend the Solo gathering in the Living Room on the first night. The co-ordinator will get a group together for dinner and you get to meet other solos. There will also be a white board available to group up for specialty restaurants and entertainment. Also there's a great coffee machine in the Living Room free of charge for studio guests, treats and stuff throughout the day and the bar will open in the evening.

I had a great time in the studio cabin, have a great cruise!

Thanks for the helpful info. I really like that they do all that just for solos. That's another big reason for wanting to try NCL. (The $50 Deposit sale sealed it for me.) The only negative I can think of is it detracts from my goal of getting closer to Platinum level on Carnival, but a small price to pay for trying a whole new cruise line.

I have not seen studio prices come down drastically prior to sailing, but I have seen prices on other categories drop where I could book a balcony with no solo supplement and it would end up being cheaper than the studio (close to sailing). It's a gamble but since you are so far out & only need to put the $50 deposit, you can reserve the studio and then just watch the prices to see about cancelling & rebooking prior to final payment. If the price came down after the $50 deposit special you might need to pony up more deposit money. Also, check if that time has any holidays.

Just to add - even if you aren't in a studio, you can join in on the solo activities.

I have not seen studio prices come down drastically prior to sailing, but I have seen prices on other categories drop where I could book a balcony with no solo supplement and it would end up being cheaper than the studio (close to sailing). It's a gamble but since you are so far out & only need to put the $50 deposit, you can reserve the studio and then just watch the prices to see about cancelling & rebooking prior to final payment. If the price came down after the $50 deposit special you might need to pony up more deposit money. Also, check if that time has any holidays.

Just to add - even if you aren't in a studio, you can join in on the solo activities.

Thanks for the info but i'm weird in the fact that balcony cabins terrify me lol. So even if one popped up for the same price, I wouldn't even take it.

My first Carnival cruise was a balcony and after that, it was always ocean view cabins for me. I guess I like the security of being inside. I remember going out there at night and the pitch black of the ocean was scary. I know...like I said it's weird! So i'm happy with the studio and really do want to try one just for the experience anyways.

I find it odd that the ship apparently doesn't have any oceanview cabins...and it's either inside or balcony with no in between. An OV (or porthole) is always my go to choice when cruising.

Thanks for the info but i'm weird in the fact that balcony cabins terrify me lol. So even if one popped up for the same price, I wouldn't even take it.

My first Carnival cruise was a balcony and after that, it was always ocean view cabins for me. I guess I like the security of being inside. I remember going out there at night and the pitch black of the ocean was scary. I know...like I said it's weird! So i'm happy with the studio and really do want to try one just for the experience anyways.

I find it odd that the ship apparently doesn't have any oceanview cabins...and it's either inside or balcony with no in between. An OV (or porthole) is always my go to choice when cruising.

We had been on carnival and liked it, however we wanted to try a mega ship and tried NCL and now we doubt we will go back to carnival. We liked ncl so much more.

We also had an aft cabin but it never seemed really dark. Lights around the ship that even lit up the water.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

We had been on carnival and liked it, however we wanted to try a mega ship and tried NCL and now we doubt we will go back to carnival. We liked ncl so much more.

We also had an aft cabin but it never seemed really dark. Lights around the ship that even lit up the water.

I wonder if i'll feel the same way as well. The Epic will be the largest ship i've ever been on as i've never done a "mega ship" before and i'm really excited about that. My biggest ship will be the Liberty in December.

The pricing was really the big deciding factor picking this. I compared to Carnival for the same dates, length, and cabin (interior), and Carnival came out to $62.00 more and that's without the drink package thrown in. So that actually made NCL $300 cheaper.

With that Free at Sea sale, plus $50 deposit, I was drawn in. (btw, when Carnival does their $50 deposit sale, I STILL have to pay $100 being solo which I think is unfair.) But then again, they don't have solo rooms.

We have been on 18 Carnival cruises and went on the Epic this past Nov. for 2 weeks out of PC and we feel the same way. We will probably NOT go back to Carnival. Fell in love with the Epic so much that we are booked again next Jan for 2 more weeks.:D

I wonder if i'll feel the same way as well. The Epic will be the largest ship i've ever been on as i've never done a "mega ship" before and i'm really excited about that. My biggest ship will be the Liberty in December.

The pricing was really the big deciding factor picking this. I compared to Carnival for the same dates, length, and cabin (interior), and Carnival came out to $62.00 more and that's without the drink package thrown in. So that actually made NCL $300 cheaper.

With that Free at Sea sale, plus $50 deposit, I was drawn in. (btw, when Carnival does their $50 deposit sale, I STILL have to pay $100 being solo which I think is unfair.) But then again, they don't have solo rooms.

The drink package is free but the 18% gratuities on the value of the package are not included so be sure you factor that in as well.

That's a great price but want to make sure you are aware of a few things. When you go to book and choose the UBP as your perk they will add on a service charge to represent your tips on the bev package. It comes out to almost $100 per person for the week. So add that in if you haven't in your price comparison. Also, the bev package includes drinks up to $15 (and they do have a surprising number of drinks over $15) but excludes all specialty coffee and bottled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a great price but want to make sure you are aware of a few things. When you go to book and choose the UBP as your perk they will add on a service charge to represent your tips on the bev package. It comes out to almost $100 per person for the week. So add that in if you haven't in your price comparison. Also, the bev package includes drinks up to $15 (and they do have a surprising number of drinks over $15) but excludes all specialty coffee and bottled water.

The OP has 4 days, not 7, so that will lower the $100 significantly.

The OP has 4 days, not 7, so that will lower the $100 significantly.

The OP has already added the service charge for the UBP.

Pricing Details

Item

Guest 1 Cruise Fare $449.00

Gov't Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses $104.96

Choice Promotion Service Charge: $56.88

Total per Guest $610.84

I checked and the UBP service charge is included in the $610 total rate. It's $14.22/day which adds $56.88 total to the fare. Don't like that specialty coffee and water is excluded, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. :)

Wasn't aware of the drink prices. I'll have to do a search for the drink menus to see what I can get under 15. I love martinis so if they have them $15 and under, i'll be a very happy cruiser!

The OP has already added the service charge for the UBP.

Pricing Details

Item

Guest 1 Cruise Fare $449.00

Gov't Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses $104.96

Choice Promotion Service Charge: $56.88

Total per Guest $610.84

Didn't see your post till replying to the previous one, but that's spot on exactly the fare!

I checked and the UBP service charge is included in the $610 total rate. It's $14.22/day which adds $56.88 total to the fare. Don't like that specialty coffee and water is excluded, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. :)

Wasn't aware of the drink prices. I'll have to do a search for the drink menus to see what I can get under 15. I love martinis so if they have them $15 and under, i'll be a very happy cruiser!

Hi! Most martinis are covered, but for some bizarre reason I havent figured out, SOME flavored martinis are over 15.00 and are therefore not covered, i.e., chocolate martini, mocha martini, coffee martini. But they dont charge you the whole amount, they just charge you the couple of dollars that exceed the 15.00 maximum plus the 18% gratuity on that couple of extra bucks. I was drinking chocolate martinis and I think they were something like 2.35 a drink.

Terry

Hi! Most martinis are covered, but for some bizarre reason I havent figured out, SOME flavored martinis are over 15.00 and are therefore not covered, i.e., chocolate martini, mocha martini, coffee martini. But they dont charge you the whole amount, they just charge you the couple of dollars that exceed the 15.00 maximum plus the 18% gratuity on that couple of extra bucks. I was drinking chocolate martinis and I think they were something like 2.35 a drink.

Terry

Thanks for the info. For a couple bucks + gratuity on it, I wouldn't mind paying the overage to try the different flavors. (and i'm sure i'll try ALL of them lol) It's better than just saying you can't get ANY drink that costs over $15 on the plan which is what I originally thought.

Now i'm confused. :confused:

For just $127.76 more, I can do 5 day sailing instead of 4. I'm thinking with the free drink plan included that makes the extra day/cost worth it.

Total price would then be $738.60. I have till Wednesday when i'm booking this and leaning towards the longer one now...(but will no doubt bounce from each one in my head for the next 6 days i'm sure.)

The 4 day goes to Nassau and 5 day is Cozumel. I'm visiting Nassau this Dec. on Liberty and haven't seen Cozumel since 2004...so that helps me lean towards the 5 day now.

Advice?

Thanks for the info. For a couple bucks + gratuity on it, I wouldn't mind paying the overage to try the different flavors. (and i'm sure i'll try ALL of them lol) It's better than just saying you can't get ANY drink that costs over $15 on the plan which is what I originally thought.

Yeah, NCL covers the first $15 (you already paid the 18% on that) and you are charged the "extra" plus the 18% on the extra.

A $20 shot would cost $5.00 + 18% ($5.90) charged to your on-board account.

Now i'm confused. :confused:

For just $127.76 more, I can do 5 day sailing instead of 4. I'm thinking with the free drink plan included that makes the extra day/cost worth it.

Total price would then be $738.60. I have till Wednesday when i'm booking this and leaning towards the longer one now...(but will no doubt bounce from each one in my head for the next 6 days i'm sure.)

The 4 day goes to Nassau and 5 day is Cozumel. I'm visiting Nassau this Dec. on Liberty and haven't seen Cozumel since 2004...so that helps me lean towards the 5 day now.

Advice?

Cozumel over Nassau & an extra day...no brainer for me....5 day all the way ;p

Cozumel over Nassau & an extra day...no brainer for me....5 day all the way ;p

Agreed. I really can't find any negatives and even the dates work better for me than the 4 day itinerary. So i'm going to book the 5 day. Glad I found that sailing before booking the original one or I would've been kicking myself!