Clearing customs in Montreal?

aungrl

Has anyone cleared customs after docking in Montreal recently? This is the termination point for the Sept. 4 In the Wake of the Vikings TA, and we have a flight back to ORD that departs around 12:15 p.m. (We didn’t use Viking Ocean air arrangements). The ship is supposed to be in port at 4 a.m., but I’m wondering about the time to clear customs in Montreal, in case we dock later than expected, etc.

Thanks for any guidance/info!

Will you have to clear customs in Montreal considering that you have already made ports of call in Canada?

In any case, I don't know anything about customs in Montreal but I can talk a bit about how Viking handles disembarkation, which will help you plan your exit strategy. Viking will ask everyone to fill out a form about disembarkation: do you have Viking transfers, what time is your flight, etc. and from that information it will create a disembarkation schedule and color coding for your luggage.

If you do have Viking transfers, they will give you a departure window and tell you what time you have to be on the bus to the airport. There will be no announcements. At the stated time, you are expected to proceed ashore, collect your luggage and head to the buses (if the process includes a passport check, they will tell you) and then proceed to the buses for departure.

If you do not have Viking transfers, you will be able to leave at any time during the disembarkation period. If you have to go through customs, Viking will tell you what time they will open.

From what I have seen in Bergen and Barcelona, disembarkation proceeds at a smooth, easy pace throughout the morning as people 'meander' off the ship rather than everyone flocking at once when they hear their announcement. Buses are loaded one or two at a time and depart when your luggage is loaded and your bus is full. (However, in neither of these ports did we have to go through customs).

You must be out of the cabins by 8 am and everyone is expected to disembark before 10 am.

Thanks, this is good detail to have at hand. We’ve only been on one Viking Ocean cruise, and it was U.S.-based, so no issues with clearing customs. As you mentioned, the disembarkation process was really smooth and unhurried when we returned to port in Miami on that one. Since we’re U.S. citizens, I expect we’ll have to clear customs in the final departure city before re-entering the U.S. But it sounds like we should have plenty of time.

Has anyone cleared customs after docking in Montreal recently? This is the termination point for the Sept. 4 In the Wake of the Vikings TA, and we have a flight back to ORD that departs around 12:15 p.m. (We didn’t use Viking Ocean air arrangements). The ship is supposed to be in port at 4 a.m., but I’m wondering about the time to clear customs in Montreal, in case we dock later than expected, etc.

Thanks for any guidance/info!

The Montreal airport is pretty easy to navigate though I can't speak to US departures. I do hope you post about your cruise -- it is on my "must do" list.

The ship should clear Canadian Customs at your first Canadian port, so arriving Montreal it should be a quick clearance.

Haven't used Montreal airport, but most of our major Canadian airports have US Customs & Immigration at the airport, so on arrival you use domestic terminals in the US. In Vancouver, when departing to the US, we check-in as normal, but have to take our luggage into the US Immigration checks. After passing immigration you put your checked bags on a conveyor.

I suspect Montreal will be somewhat similar.

Last year we traveled twice to Canada. Upon leaving both Montreal and Calgary, after spending time beforehand in Canada, the customs that you had to clear were American customs, which they let you do in the Canadian border airports. Then when you land in the US (for us, it was Denver), you don't have to go through customs. We were at Montreal airport very early, and it was quite easy. Only waiting we had to do was for customs to actually open.

Last year we traveled twice to Canada. Upon leaving both Montreal and Calgary, after spending time beforehand in Canada, the customs that you had to clear were American customs, which they let you do in the Canadian border airports. Then when you land in the US (for us, it was Denver), you don't have to go through customs. We were at Montreal airport very early, and it was quite easy. Only waiting we had to do was for customs to actually open.

Hi Aungrl,

SantaFe1's info is correct.

I live in Montreal and would just like to point out that there is major construction works being done on some roads leading to the airport. My advise to you would be to make your way to the airport rather quickly. ;)