Best beach?

2PinaColadas

What is the best beach in Key West? By best, I mean clean, nice sand, little seaweed, pretty water and a place to get a frozen, foo foo drink.

Other than booking a room at the Pier House or Hyatt there ain't no such animal in Key West. Most people are directed to Bahia Honda State Park.

Pjk

Beaches in Key West are man made. If you go after a hurricane and it's washed away you see dump trucks bringing in sand from the local concrete company and dozers spreading the sand (they do a really great job of it).

The beachs do run around Fort Zachary Taylor State Park as previoulsy stated.

Fort Zachary Taylor has the prettiest beach with the best view of passing ships and boats, but it isn't traditional sand. The surface is broken up coral. You will want to wear "water shoes" for foot comfort. There is a charge to go to the park but it is good for the entire day if you save the receipt, so you can come and go if you wish.

There are picnic tables under the Australian pine trees. You can also tour the fort which has some awseome Civil War era coastal artillery and a fabulous view from the top of the fort.

Smathers Beach has won prizes for "best beach" on some of those "Ten Best Beaches in America" (or in Florida lists), but I am hard pressed to know how Smathers won that accolade. Still you can rent water sports equipment at Smathers and parasail there, but you can't at Fort Taylor.

Bahia Honda Sate Park, while beautiful, is a long, long drive.

• 3 years later...
What is the best beach in Key West? By best, I mean clean, nice sand, little seaweed, pretty water and a place to get a frozen, foo foo drink.

As stated by most here, Fort Zachary Taylor is the way to go. It is all a state park, and it is a huge property. The beach is actually very nice. They recently brought in more sand, so most of the beach area is very soft sand. There is some crushed coral near the water's edge, so water shoes are recommended.

There is a concession stand where you can buy beer, hot dogs, burgers, etc.

Also on the property is the actual fort. Touring the old fort is included with the admission fee.

As stated by most here, Fort Zachary Taylor is the way to go. It is all a state park, and it is a huge property. The beach is actually very nice. They recently brought in more sand, so most of the beach area is very soft sand. There is some crushed coral near the water's edge, so water shoes are recommended.

There is a concession stand where you can buy beer, hot dogs, burgers, etc.

Also on the property is the actual fort. Touring the old fort is included with the admission fee.

Can we walk there or is it better to take a taxi?

Can we walk there or is it better to take a taxi?

It depends where you are docked. If you are on the Outer Mole, it is easily walkable, and many people do walk it. From the other docks, it is walkable using shortcuts through Truman Annex (maybe 20 minutes), so a taxi might be a better option, especially for the return trip.

It depends where you are docked. If you are on the Outer Mole, it is easily walkable, and many people do walk it. From the other docks, it is walkable using shortcuts through Truman Annex (maybe 20 minutes), so a taxi might be a better option, especially for the return trip.

I checked the Key West cruise ship calendar and we will use the Westin Pier. Can we use the public bus?

• 2 weeks later...

Are is there a public bus in Key West that goes near Fort Zachary Taylor S.P.?

Are is there a public bus in Key West that goes near Fort Zachary Taylor S.P.?

If you walk off the docks you will walk onto Whitehead Street then cross Front, Green, Caroline, Eaton, and Fleming street. Then you make a right onto Southard and this takes you to the entrance to the park. These are short, Key West blocks and if you do this you will see the Audubon House, the Green Parrot bar and gift shop, and Kelly's bar. Take a look at the map outside of the Green Parrot.

Pjk

I don't know of a public bus that goes to Fort Zach.

If you do walk, you should know that almost half of the walk to the actual beach is inside the park, after you pay. It's about 20-25 minutes total from the Westin Pier if you walk through Truman Annex. You can ask someone how to get to the Little White House, then keep walking past it until you reach a T, then go right and you'll see the sign for the park.

The walk through Truman annex is a bit shorter, but as PJK wrote, the walk on the regular streets brings you past some KW landmarks.

What about Higgs Beach? I have heard that is nice and you can rent chairs and umbrellas from a place called Tropical Watersports. Also, I heard there is a casual italian restaurant that allows you to use their restroom (I presume if you buy drinks or food from them as well).

What about Higgs Beach? I have heard that is nice and you can rent chairs and umbrellas from a place called Tropical Watersports. Also, I heard there is a casual italian restaurant that allows you to use their restroom (I presume if you buy drinks or food from them as well).

All of the public beaches in Key West, Higgs, Smathers, and Simonton, have restrooms, an outdoor shower, and a water fountain. Discounting the two 1/2 blocks on either end of Duval, you can walk the 14 blocks from the north to the south end. At South Street you make a left, then a right onto Reynoolds, two or three blocks along South. Two blocks on Reynolds dead ends onto the beginning of Higgs Beach, so about 18 - 19 blocks, about 30 - 32 minutes. The restaurant is Salute.

Pjk

• 5 weeks later...

There is a small public beach at the southermost beach hotel. Smathers beach has some watersports if that is what you are looking for. If you just want a tropical beach with food and drinks think about going there.

It seems impossible, but the beaches are not that great in the keys.

There is really no "best beach" in Key West. It is a matter of preference in spite of all the hype about Fort Zachary. Do you want soft sand, deeper water, decent snorkeling?? Each beach offers something different. Fort Zachary is a nice setting, but the beach is more like a gravel parking lot then a beach. If the water is calm, the swimming is good since it is deeper water and snorkeling can be fun around the rocks, however when winds are up you will have seaweed, cloudy water and potentially lots of Man of War wash up. Higgs is a nice locals beach, but does get some homeless people. The swimming is good off the reynolds street pier with good snorkeling. You also have a beautiful free botanical garden to explore, as well as a nice restaurant for lunch and/or a drink. Finally, Smather's Beach has the best sand of all of the beaches, but the water is very shallow and gets mucky with seagrass just off shore. It is just my opinion, but if I were coming in on a cruise for one day, I would not spend it at the beach. Most cruises will have much better stops for a beach. Instead wander through Old Town or rent bikes and explore the island (including the beach). I think The Historic District is what makes Key West special, not the beaches.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi keywester33,

I was just about to ask about the jellyfish issue at Fort Zachary when I read your post. We probably will go to the beach because our kids love any beach but I am concerned about jellyfish. Is there a particular time of year that they are an issue or is it based on weather? We will be there March 7th.

Also, you mentioned bike rentals. Are there places to rent bikes right at the Westin Pier? Is it a good idea to rent bikes and ride to the park (we have 5 kids ages 10 - 16) so worry about keeping them in a line.

I think I answered the post about Jellyfish. They could be there and Fort Zach really depends on the weather. If we have strong South Winds, Fort Zach is not as nice and may have them even in March. Is it possible for you to wait and see what the weather is like when you arrive?

I usually recommend bikes as a great way to get around town, but I would share your concerns about kids. The streets are very narrow and can be crowded and it is a busy time of year. You might be better off renting an electic car since there is parking at Fort Zachary, or even consider taxis.

Archived