What is the best excursion at Amber Cove that includes going to Fort San Felipe

lucy2mb

Our family is interested in going to Fort San Felipe while in Amber Cove in January. I read about the excursion on Ship Mate and it looked good but would like to hear from people who have gone to the fort and get suggestions on an excursion there. We would be interested in seeing other places on the excursion. Prefer to spend $50 or less p/p. We do not want to book through the ship. Thank you for any suggestions you can give me.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We just visited Amber Cove and Fort San Felipe in mid December, and actually found the "Museums, Arts, and Fort San Felipe" excursion offered by the cruiseline to be an excellent value and fits into your specified budget. The tour was listed as 5.5 hours, but our tour lasted almost 7 hours, and included a rum distillery tour, Fort San Felipe tour, a tour of a museum in Puerta Plata, a visit to a jewelry factory where Amber and Larimar jewelry are made and sold, a visit to the Central square in Puerta Plata, including the Cathedral, and finally and excellent lunch and a tour of an art gallery at a beautiful inner city restaurant/garden estate. We really enjoyed our tour - I'd definitely recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...
We just visited Amber Cove and Fort San Felipe in mid December, and actually found the "Museums, Arts, and Fort San Felipe" excursion offered by the cruiseline to be an excellent value and fits into your specified budget. The tour was listed as 5.5 hours, but our tour lasted almost 7 hours, and included a rum distillery tour, Fort San Felipe tour, a tour of a museum in Puerta Plata, a visit to a jewelry factory where Amber and Larimar jewelry are made and sold, a visit to the Central square in Puerta Plata, including the Cathedral, and finally and excellent lunch and a tour of an art gallery at a beautiful inner city restaurant/garden estate. We really enjoyed our tour - I'd definitely recommend it.

This trip is getting not so great reviews on the Carnival page-you might help them out by copying this there.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the positive review of this excursion. The is the one we booked for the Horizon in June.

• 2 weeks later...

Would highly recommend city tour through Marysol Tours. We went to the fort, rum factory, cigar factory, amber store for demo, town square & took cable car up to the top of mountain for amazing views, dancing (optional) & exploring. All 6 of us raved about the tour as our fav out of 4 ports.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

:) I am looking for an opinion or two, please. I would love to take this tour when I visit Amber Cove but, I am concerned if this is something I can do because I have to use a Mobility Scooter to get around. So, if you have taken this tour, do you think, there is luggage area under their bus to store my scooter while we are traveling around? Also, do you think I would be able to get around the sights we stop at? Was it hard to walk at the sights or was it okay? Thank you for any advice you can give me. :):)

Would highly recommend city tour through Marysol Tours. We went to the fort, rum factory, cigar factory, amber store for demo, town square & took cable car up to the top of mountain for amazing views, dancing (optional) & exploring. All 6 of us raved about the tour as our fav out of 4 ports.

I was looking at this tour and the cable car really peaked my interest. Do you know how long the ride up takes or if it is usually very busy. It looks like a really interesting thing to do but I find it odd that it is not part of any of the carnival excursions. Thanks for any info you can give me!

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is curious, I emailed Marysol Tours for some information; the Puerta Plata City Tour is about 4 1/2 hours long.

http://marysoltours.net/en/puerto-plata-city-tour/

The tour is $40 for adults, $20 for kids, and an extra $10 if you want to include the cable car.

Stops include: the Rum factory, the Amber museum, the Fort San Filipe, Central Park with his church, Malecon, cigar factory, Victorian houses where you have time for shopping.

If anyone is curious, I emailed Marysol Tours for some information; the Puerta Plata City Tour is about 4 1/2 hours long.

http://marysoltours.net/en/puerto-plata-city-tour/

The tour is $40 for adults, $20 for kids, and an extra $10 if you want to include the cable car.

Stops include: the Rum factory, the Amber museum, the Fort San Filipe, Central Park with his church, Malecon, cigar factory, Victorian houses where you have time for shopping.

Hello There! Thanks for detailed post. A group of 6 ladies took this tour 2 years ago and highly recommend esp cable car add-on.

Recently returned from another cruise 1 week ago that included Amber Cove as a port. We set up a private tour with Marysol Tours this time. Amazing tour that included customized agenda. We chose to return to all places in the tour described in your post but dropped the fort and went to Blue Jacktar Beach resort + local lunch at a comida instead. 6 ladies in 11 person newer van with cold a/c. The resort included shopping, low cost beach massages, palapas and gorgeous beachfront location. We had a driver and extra narrator/tour guide. Private tour cost: $55 per person.

I'll do a more formal review when done editing photos, but we just did a tour with Marysol last week and included the Cable Car and Fort. Driver and guide were great and will also work on the fly to customize due to weather (for example we switched out the Cigar factory for the chocolate factory). Highly recommended, you cannot beat the price.