Costa Maya - Beaches? Stay at port?

cruiserbrianj

First time to Costa Maya coming up in July and we are already doing an excursion in Cozumel so we would like to cost minimal here. Is there a beach right there at the port or very close by? If a cab is needed, any suggestions for close by public beaches (that would have bar/restaurant)? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

there is a bus that goes to a very nice public beach, I think the bus was $2-3. The beach has plenty of toys, food and very good massages. My wife and I got 2-$25 hour massages. $25 will get you about 6 minutes on the ship. We found a place with some excellent fresh Cerviche and ice cold beer

Right off the boat is a shopping area with restaurants etc that you can walk to quickly and bum around for a few hours...but IMO Costa Maya feels like the town the cruise industry made it to be....meaning aside from cruise related place / activities its pretty rural and not very developed...we didn't find that there was much to do there....

there is a bus that goes to a very nice public beach, I think the bus was $2-3. The beach has plenty of toys, food and very good massages. My wife and I got 2-$25 hour massages. $25 will get you about 6 minutes on the ship. We found a place with some excellent fresh Cerviche and ice cold beer

Sounds right up are alley. Any idea on the name of the beach??

Sounds right up are alley. Any idea on the name of the beach??

It's just one long beach right next to the main drag in the town. Lots of restaurants, shopping, etc. Just take the shuttle into town.

Manahahaul? I think that's the beach that the port shuttle will take you to for a couple of bucks. Would be a

Shame to stay in the port area although it's a lovely port. There's a beautiful malecon with palm trees and some vendors with beach bars along the white sandy beach. Not to be missed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The port area of Costa Maya is just a big tourist trap. Definitely not a place to hang out if you’re trying to not spend money (except for the free pool). So follow the signs through the port shopping area to the “shuttle to town.” The town is Mahahual. It’s about 5 minutes by shuttle. The shuttle is $2 each. There is a ticket sales counter right at the shuttle to buy them. The shuttle is an open-sided trailer with benches, pulled by a pick up truck.

The shuttle will take you to the downtown area of Mahahual, which is lined with beach restaurants. There are lots of “tourist agents” that will meet you at the shuttle and take you to the beach. We went to the area around Krazy Lobster. The loungers were free and there was plenty of shade. There was no obligation to buy food or drink, but we did get drinks. It’s safe there - there are beach vendors but they weren’t pushy. They wandered off as soon as we said no.

Cabs back to the port are plentiful and are $3/person. Not sure why they shuttle you there for $2 and run the shuttles empty back to the port, then have you take a cab back for $3! Lol!

We were just there Feb. 5 and really enjoyed it.

The port area of Costa Maya is just a big tourist trap. Definitely not a place to hang out if you’re trying to not spend money (except for the free pool). So follow the signs through the port shopping area to the “shuttle to town.” The town is Mahahual. It’s about 5 minutes by shuttle. The shuttle is $2 each. There is a ticket sales counter right at the shuttle to buy them. The shuttle is an open-sided trailer with benches, pulled by a pick up truck.

The shuttle will take you to the downtown area of Mahahual, which is lined with beach restaurants. There are lots of “tourist agents” that will meet you at the shuttle and take you to the beach. We went to the area around Krazy Lobster. The loungers were free and there was plenty of shade. There was no obligation to buy food or drink, but we did get drinks. It’s safe there - there are beach vendors but they weren’t pushy. They wandered off as soon as we said no.

Cabs back to the port are plentiful and are $3/person. Not sure why they shuttle you there for $2 and run the shuttles empty back to the port, then have you take a cab back for $3! Lol!

That’s the exact kind of info I was looking to get. Thank you very much! Without being there before I was just unsure if signage and whatnot so this was very helpful.

Manahahaul? I think that's the beach that the port shuttle will take you to for a couple of bucks. Would be a

Shame to stay in the port area although it's a lovely port. There's a beautiful malecon with palm trees and some vendors with beach bars along the white sandy beach. Not to be missed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info and I agree, a beach is way better than a port

You'd enjoy the above.

Our favorite there is Tropicante! :D

I've heard great things about Tropicante. It's a few minutes ride away. If you email the owner he will save you a table and beach chairs for free. Google they have a website. We were planning to go there in January but couldn't dock due to rough seas.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

Thanks for this information. Planning to go to Costa Maya in April. Plenty of positive reviews. Can't wait to check out Tropicante.